Q&A with Marcel from Studio 397 - Need your input

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Goodwin, Sep 22, 2016.

1. AceLain

AceLain Registered

That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen....

2. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

no mirrors?

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Damage would actually be pretty low on my list, it's one of the least complained things in rF2. Very few sims get the damage modeling anywhere close to realistic, fake effects like seen in certain recent sims actually makes it look worse than having no effects. Unless Studio 397 plans to do a total overhaul and introduce some realistic soft-body physics, IMO it's a waste of time to focus on damage FX (also I can imagine some dynamic soft-body physics would need massive CPU power to run with 45 stock cars side-by-side).

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

IMO anything is better than nothing, GTR2 for example was decent on this (and it'd be normal to expect things to be at least a bit more advanced than that right now, 10 years later...). If can't add things because they aren't realistic enough no sim should exist.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Damage is an integral part of racing, trouble is if the Car Licensee says "we don't want our car to have visual damage in your game" then there's not a lot that Studio397 can do if they want that license.

Personally I also agree something is better than nothing; better mechanical damage is needed and at least soft body (when allowed!) would be good.
    I dream of the day we get proper debris, body parts, "racing tape" visually after a pit stop and all that good stuff...oh and proper tire blow outs! :)

6. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

NASCAR Racing 2002 & 2003 had a quite decent damage modeltoo, and that was 14 years ago.
    Of course I have seen the argument here that you're not supposed to damage your car in a simulator, and that it's not a primary focus, blablabla. But damaging the car is part of racing, especially in some sorts of racing, and it's a shame that rF2 looks really bad compared to a 14 year old sim. We don't need advanced damage like in Flatout (or whatever modern game with fancy damage model), but doing better than some old sims should be a goal.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This may be true for street cars, but can't imagine anyone asking for this about race cars.
    And yep, I wish so much racing sims would actually simulate the full thing, pit crew changing pices to repair the car and this stuff, would be fun. But whenever we talk about it there is an army of people saying this stuff is for consoles lol like in real life cars are repairing themselves Transformers style haha

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Visual damage is important as a visual cue for the driver too, not just of his own car but someone else on track.

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Hey guys, I do apologise that there has been a while since my last post - I've been somewhat ill and working!

But anyway! Late last night Marcel contacted me returning my list of questions. Close to midnight and the guy was doing some "Late night coding" on rF2 while I was getting ready to go to bed ha

Anyway, link to the Q&A below. I'm sorry there are not more questions I posed to him. Just being respectful he is extremely busy and flooded. For what there is, I hope there is some info that will make you guys happy.

http://www.pitlanes.com/qa-marcel-offermans-studio-397/

10. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Hey Rich thanks just for your info i get a invalid topic message in tapatalk when click on the link

Good read btw (went by browser to your website) thank you so much for sharing this

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks Rich (and Marcel) for taking the time to do this :)

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I've had issues with Tapatalk in the past and my forums - I'm a heavy user myself.

I worked on it just this past week myself actually, it was all fine, so I'm not sure of the issue right now.

I will investigate and do my utmost to solve it. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I manually went to my site via Tapatalk and it works fine. Maybe an issue with directly linking in. Not sure. Think it's a Tapatalk issue, though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I think you're right (tapatalk issue) but i did the same like you did and had a good read. Thanks again for your and Marcels effort

14. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Rich - Thanks for organizing the question thing with Marcel. Lots more interesting ideas and plans in the pipeline for rF2 :)

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

It's OK, Marcel is a super approachable guy. Just as Tim is. I love communicating with anyone involved in rF2. Such good people. Other sims are very unresponsive even to the simplest of queries, which is a shame.

Anyway - Shameless self plug here. I do trawl forums for all sims as and when I have time - Full time job & father etc. So I have created a news submission page on my site. Simply with the intention of shouting about anything to do with rF2, to maybe act as another conduit of exposure.

If anyone wants to bring anything rF2 related to my attention, just fill in the form at the following link and I will for sure post something up.

http://www.pitlanes.com/submit-news/

16. A.Driver

A.Driver Registered

Would it be possible to simulate a realistic clutch using the existing tyre model , a rubber flywheel and ashphalt clutch-plate kind of thing maybe , please ?.

17. rolandhaans

rolandhaans Registered

Haha, that made my day[emoji3]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1562 met Tapatalk