Q&A with Marcel from Studio 397 - Need your input

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Goodwin, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

also i think people need to use lasered tracks to realise there can be a big difference,

again though isi historic tracks are brill obviously not lasered,maybe 397 should really mainly focus on the historic content

mod groups and leagues like FSR will keep the modern stuff strong

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I that kind of unfair but I kind of get it. At the end of the day, I'm just a guy who has a website. When offered the chance, I came almost straight away to you guys to get your input and questions....... I did this because I'm just one of you and want my questions answered, too.

This way he has/will be addressing you guys, Twitter and Facebook questions. Hopefully answering some of the issues you guys have.

Personally I don't mind him or others, like Tim, speaking to other sites. It's all exposure, it's all free marketing, it's all conversation about their sim. That's never a bad thing.

Don't want to sound all "White knight" or anything, just saying.

As for Laser Scanning - A method of surveying is only as good as its interpretation in to the 3D world. You could have the best laser scan data humanly possible but someone unable to translate that, ending up with an inferior product. Similarly, quality data provided by more traditional surveying techniques utilised by a very talented team can produce magnificent results.

Simply saying "Laser scanned" is no guarantee of end product quality.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Obviously as good as interviews, social media is for the marketing side of things I think a central forum (as like what Chris suggested is happening) is far better than having devs spread across various other forums.
    The problem is that snippets of information are lost in random forums buried in threads that not everyone will read, those snippets could be useful to some members one way or another. By concentrating the devs to one forum you keep all that goodness in one place, also by having a Dev Tracker it means those people who don't frequent the forum everyday (like me!) can quickly see what's been posted.

Just my thoughts on that, I'm by no mean requesting or demanding Studio397 do it this way :)

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I have a late question, but maybe the answer is already in the air: with the this new partnership, will remain valid the statement that said : only steam users will receive further updates and they will be minimal and won't corrupt compatibility with non steam users? I think this statement is probably no more valid, at least partially... I would like to know if I have to switch when a DX11 engine will be avaiable for RF2 or not..

5. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

In the second part of RD's interview with Marcel he talks about how being steam only gives them more options as far as the online matchmaker. Given that, I don't see them changing rF2 from steam only.
    TK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

6. Comante

Comante Registered

That's a bit sad, I will have to start using Steam just due RF2.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Seeing as Marcel did the groundwork to get rf1 then RF2 into Steam I highly doubt it'll be any different in the future.

8. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

I really don't understand what you mean by two separate issues. I asked a question and included a generalised personal opinion that was not insulting or attacking you or anybody personally. Your reply concentrated on the generalised opinion saying that you did not say calm down. My reply to that explained my generalised opinion and gave specific examples. I also commended you on keeping the site objective. And yet my question was not answered.

So I will ask the question again without the opinion.

When is Marcel and S397 going to address this community here?

9. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Don't get me wrong Rich, I like seeing rFactor 2 exposure on the various sites that deal with sim-racing too. But when a person/team has a vision of going forward, especially in a product that relies on community participation in the way of modding, they need to interact and discuss these things with the people that help to make rFactor better. And if you are that invested in rFactor 2, you will be a member of this forum and come here for the more detailed information.

Having done promotion/marketing in a previous employment, interviews with the different forms of media is to usually provide very general information. Then you point them to your site/shop etc. for more details.

Don't worry, you don't sound "White Knight" as you put it.....you are stating your opinion.

10. bwana

bwana Registered

Please don't let laser scanning become a priority.. As said, topography and textures' are where its at , if the track is generally a little lumpy in sections then add it. It doesn't have to be millimeter perfect considering 99% of users will never drive them IRL

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

What's happening already is great

Be good if high quality lasered tracks could be used in the future by current rf2 users that I think have zero idea on the difference

Ps I write this with good intention

12. TheScrapanator

TheScrapanator Registered

Will Content Still Be Free, Other Questions

My concerns are this: Will content provided for Rfactor 2 still be free(largely impact the community if goes paid route)? Will the weather be overhauled, especially the rain? Will the lighting be overhauled, especially for vehicles(those with yellow lights as well), and day/night cycle? Will shadows be overhauled?

13. RJames

RJames Registered

Will we see graphical damage re-introduced into the game where panels can be deformed, bumpers hanging off etc.

14. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

+1, this would be a must-in in a 2016 racing title, rF2 damage (and weather, to go off a bit) needs a good amount of work to reach the excellent level of the physics.

15. Depco

Depco Registered

This is something that has been woefully missing from ISI's playbook. The fact that they are not making a "game", but rather a racing simulation platform probably played a large part in their dis-interest in advertising. When rF2 did get exposure in the media or websites it typically was quickly followed by comments of, "this looks ugly." or "wow. the development is slow."

I am hoping beyond hope that Studio 397 understands advertising and how to market the sim for maximum positive exposure. I expect not to see this until they put DX11, VR, and graphical enhancements in the title.

16. pmarin2

pmarin2 Registered

I agree with the ones here saying that lasered tracks are not the holy grail, but what they can bring to the table is an almost seamless transition between sims. I love rFactor 2's feel and it's AI, but sadly nobody can beat iRacing's online community, and when you jump from one sim to the other, you start seeing a lot of differences with their scanned tracks (from elevation changes to basic things as width of the track, etc).
    Tracks might change from year to year, but having elevations, length, width and some basic curves boards placed "correctly" would mean a lot. With almost identical layouts jumping from one sim to the other would be almost painless, and it would be a two way street, bringing more players to rF2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Can we expect anti aliasing level descriptions like in AMS to get a gripe which AA setting we are actually using? Level 1 to 8 isn't really explaining anything....

18. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

There has been a lot of posts suggesting the Online fee be removed. An idea that could help cover the cost is to add carefully placed advert on the launcher. We got them on top of the forum why not the game too. I would not mind them if it got more people online. I think the lifetime option should turn into something like a season pass making all future DLC free, and maybe no adverts. Just an idea.

Codemasters went one extra step and had real time adverts on track too in Dirt2. I remember looking at a billboard side of the track advertising a new TV drama starting tonight on some channel. I look in the TV guide and sure enough it was there, I even watched it too. :D

No idea how much money devs can make from ads, worth looking into if it keeps the game in development longer.

DJC

19. pas74

pas74 Registered

Dear Studio 397 please!! ....regarding the damage..... consider to implement BeamNG Technology...

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This would be brilliant. And debris, rF2 needs debris xD

:D
    Dang except for the lens flare I like this game looks quite a lot