Rfactor 2 game stops working: Any chance to salvage replay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steveluppino, Sep 20, 2016.

1. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Hi

I had a problem with my RFactor2 game that stopped working during racing in offline mode. Which was easy to find the cause by reading it from the error box. However I had to stop the program and lose the race replay.

I was wondering if it happened to do it again for any other cause, if it were possible to salvage the replay before having to close the game.

If there is anyone able to offer any advice with this, they're help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm not sure you can if it crashes mid race, the Replay gets saved when you exit the car (hence the slight delay) so if the game crashed after that point then it would be ok I think. My guess is if the replay isn't in the Replay folder then there's no way of getting it back unfortunately.

3. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

No, its there the problem. I know I cant hit the escape to garage button and then exit to UI screen which then saves the replay.

Im still sitting in the car, during the race, then some small event that would cause the game to crash causes the game to crash and Im forced to close the game back to the desktop and lose the replay.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah like I said if it happens mid race, you're force closing it in race meaning the Replay file hasn't been written therefore it's un-savable, I can't see any way of getting that replay back at all.

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Check in your replay folder, for a temporary file. It won't have a typical name but something generic. You might try renaming its extension to Vcr and see, if you can load it.
    By default, replays are recorded in real-time, to HDD.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Never known that before (temp file) so yeah try that, I was going by experience and what the player.JSON says:
    "Compress Replay":1,
    "Compress Replay#":"0 (none) to 4 (highest); how much to compress VCR file (uses less disk space but takes more time to write when a session ends)",

Ignoring the Compress bit this actually states replays are written when the session ends (not when you exit it the car, my mistake earlier on). Anyway yeah, hope there's a way of recovering them if they are in real time then :)

7. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Thanks, but no luck.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah just tried it as well but get the Unsupported or Corrupt file message, think it's safe to say that replay is gone :( Main thing is you know what caused the crash in the first place so it shouldn't happen again :)

9. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Yeah, thats the best to take from it, and its not so bad.

Thanks guys.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Tried the tweak in the json files, something like "save replay to memory", it's worth a go?

11. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

No, still does nothing. Looks like no other way around it.