VR and rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Sep 17, 2016.

?

VR and rF2

1. You own an HTC Vive

4.8%
  2. You own an Oculus Rift

26.2%
  3. You own a Vive AND a Rift

0.8%
  4. You don't own a VR headset, but intend to buy

32.5%
  5. You don't own a VR headset, but do not intend to buy

35.7%
  1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Now the cat is out of the proverbial bag... wondering what the forum user base opinion on VR is.

2. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

It honestly doesn't bother me about VR implementation as it is something that I will never use(I am epileptic and it may cause issues with me), however I can only see this as a good thing as it is progress.

The only issue I see is that in the scheme of things VR is still in its infancy. And like a lot of technology that has gone through format changes(VHS/Beta, LD/DVD) early adopters can get burnt. The VR we see now maybe completely different to what is done in 5 years time. Whats to say that a rival steps in and creates a VR platform that blows away Vive and Oculus. Its a risk to take, but without the risk there is no innovation; so it is a bit of a catch-22.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

i agree....dust has to settle a bit. This time vr might hit mainstream. Only time will tell. I won't get vr until at least the 2nd en and half the current price

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think I've always wanted VR due to owning Elite Dangerous and other Sims that support it, in recent weeks that need for it has grown as I've watched YouTube videos and then saw last weeks LFS video on the "live" mirrors in VR. Now with this announcement I am almost certain to get a Vive or Occulus, just when due to £££ is the personal issue, it may have to be a Xmas present to myself!

As for it being early tech that doesn't bother me, I got one of the first ever MP3 Players for a staggering £200 and it was just 64mb :eek: So even though it could be better to wait it out a bit longer for the next versions I do like to watch it evolve through owning the items a long the way, costs more of course but then PC Gaming costs loads anyway :)

5. capetuso

capetuso Registered

I bough the lifetime license 2 years ago. Soon after purchased the oculus DK2 and could never play without it again. So this news are really amazing and can't describe with words how happy I am to be able to play again rfactor2 after so many time.
    Believe guys VR even in it's infancy is truly incredible for simulators.

6. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Bought the Vive and love it. Coming from the DK2, the Vive's crystal clear optics and significantly higher FOV and brightness really shine in sim racing. Don't really notice the extra brightness/FOV in most things, but in sim racing it's very noticeable to me. Every extra bit of car in your peripheral vision enhances the effect and the additional brightness is appreciated since we have real world analogies to driving in the bright sunshine.

The DK2 ruined monitor racing for me, but the Vive flat out left me slack-jawed at the amazingness. Can't wait to check out 60s Spa and Monaco in VR. Should blow me away.

7. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

Vr for the win. Once you try it you do not want to back to tripples, cuadruples 300hz uxfullmaxhd.... it is a different game vr.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

I have to wear out my triple monitors first and that will take several years... so put myself in the no/no class with the majority.

9. Chris English

Chris English Registered

I bought a Rift DK2 almost 2 years ago now and went with the HTC Vive 2 months ago, I certainly do not regret it! rF2 is the only sim I play on a screen now due to lack of support, I'm so happy this is changing! :D

10. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Splashed out on a 2nd hand DK2 from ebay and racing/gaming is now a different world.
    It is by far easier to race with the added spacial awareness that VR brings.
    RBR is now even more fun,LFS is fantastic,DR is also just great.

Need to get rFactor working with the DK2 and rF2 should be awesome.

Other games that come with oculus home are great to play,Lucky Tales is fun and just downloaded all the other VR titles to have a play at :)

11. Gaboni

Gaboni Registered

I have my oculus rift since a month ago, and all that is said about it is true: Once you try VR, you don't want to go back to monitors.

Simply, you are in another world when you wear the glasses. You not are in your house. You are in the f**** SPA track, inside a f**** Formula one car!!! It's true that VR is in the very begining, but for simracing is more than enough.

I have even come up to think in leaving rFactor (after ten years of playing it, exclusively) and move to another sim, just for the VR support. So, I'm so happy now after the announcement, these are incredible news for me.

For people that haven't try it yet: I highly recommend to test it if you can, you will never see simracing the same again. ;)

12. rosko

rosko Registered

Hello, I do not own Rfactor but will be buying it on the back of this news, looking forward to see how it compares to pcars & AC.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Might wanna buy rFactor 2 ;)

14. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

Fantastic news! Haven't played RF2 since getting a DK2 and then Rift CV1, despite it being my number one racing sim. So happy that isi have seen the light and decided to introduce support.

15. rosko

rosko Registered

Is there an eta on the release date or a beta release, I'm trying to decide weather to invest now or just wait.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

i read it was Q1 2017 target, be great if it were prior to xmas holiday, but all this news is so super great I'm just very happy its all happening

I was hoping for something like this for a long while

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

For those in the UK that are tempted ahead of RF2 time, John Lewis/PC World/Harrods(!) are selling the Rift in store as of today (£549) and I've noticed PC World are selling the Vive as well (£769). Demo Pods are available across the Country if you want to try it on first, not sure where these are so best ring your local shop and ask.

18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

The thing is, regardless of how each of us feels about VR, personally, it's smart for them to add it in. I think it's the wrong way to look at it if you say "only x% of people will actually use it", what's more important is how many people WON'T be buying/playing rF2 because of a lack of it; and that's not something that a survey on the rF2 forums will give you any accurate indication of. Take myself for example: since I picked up an Oculus Rift, I haven't touched rF2 once; I've even signed up for iRacing again so I'd have a decent sim to use it in. I'm sure that once they add it in, I'll go back to using rF2 almost exclusively.

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

That is not why I made the poll. I made it to see what forum users think of the announcement and describing their current situation.

83 voters is not the whole of the forum participants by any stretch of the imagination, I just find it that those wanting VR support are in the minority from this snapshot poll. These were the ones that were "I won't be using rF2 until you support VR" ultimatum crowd. Interesting to see those that will use VR so far are a small portion of users.

Yes, VR and marketed VR in rF2 may help sales but for those that aren't willing to get VR anyway, won't be buying rF2 again... the man hours to make rF2 VR compatible are for nothing in that respect.

They will be developing VR for the minority as it will take maybe years for VR to get mainstream. It is just financially out of reach for many users, but that will change as time goes on.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

not many rf2 owners use the forums, about 4 of my pals have never bothered to even read a single post,
    vr users in iracing are increasing all the time ...theres a load of potential rf2 customers out there who are already using vr headsets but will not give rf2 a try because on dx9 and without Vr support seems like an old gen sim

all this will change of course come rf2 dx11 VR

+for those without the funds for VR -things will become cheaper anyone upgrading their older PC's I'm fairly sure will be going NVidia 900 series or later and the AMD equivalent, even going for a 2nd DK2 and using that which is fairly cheap is better than no VR, monitors are really really naff for sim racing and I came from 3x 27" 3d vision