Realroad: Lack of water evaporation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ho3n3r, Aug 30, 2016.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I think that the topic here is mainly the off racing line evaporation, not the tyre/car inflicted spray and reduction of wetnes.

And the build change you mention is basicly about the track not going to full wet in a few minutes, as it did prior to this, even in a slight drizle.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, it refers specifically to the rate of getting wet, and drying due to vehicles. Not the evaporation at all. I had hopes when I saw it, but judging by continued questions and the earlier estimates from a test in this thread I'd say it hasn't changed.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

I reckon when I tested (90% sure) that RR rate was affecting evaporation off racing line as well, which is a bit confusing indeed. It is just not in balance with the on-line evaporation, you'd need to use at least X5 RR rate to avoid the phenomenon in my last post's video where racing line is bone dry and off-line is bone wet.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would expect the evaporation rate to change with the RR rate, I just don't think it's been altered recently when the wetting and vehicle drying rates were; and no matter what RR rate you set, the driven track will dry long before the non-driven part (which means if that off-line part got very wet, it'll be 'wet' for quite a while. At least that doesn't happen quite as quickly now the wetting rate has been reduced)

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Just hazarding a guess, but I wonder if they just want to avoid implementing workarounds, that will only have to be taken out once they implement the rest of the systems that might influence the drying rates (wind, humidity, heat, sun, etc). And that any work on workarounds is just time wasted that could better be used elsewhere, especially if they know they would pull the workarounds out again.

It's like some issues with mod tracks we had, where they look like crap now. ISI have pretty much kept their stuff the same, even if it means they used to look slightly odd. The fact they had a standard they worked to though meant they could then adjust the core engine, and they know what the results will be with the content. Whereas a guy who went "Hmm, nah I'll not follow inline with ISI because I can make it look better now, may have now found their track looks off.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

While it's not always true (the wish list section has some major exceptions), often the workaround is nearly demonstrably a '20 minute job', and in some cases even that is an exaggeration. In this case the 2 minute fix of just changing the hard coded evaporation rate wouldn't suffice because you can argue the current rate could be realistic in some scenarios, but opening that value up to the plugin interface, for example, wouldn't need any major changes and would give massive flexibility.

As for the later additions of weather influences, first there isn't really a need to undo the workaround (and doing so can actually be a hindrance; note the people wanting the FFB 'skip updates' option back, because it was being used not just to fix wheel driver CPU issues, which ISI now targets via a separate execution thread). Secondly, and unfortunately, some more recent statements would suggest we may never see the full gamut of weather variables first talked about 5 years ago, in rF2 at least.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1 use the mean if there is not an actual simulation happening.

8. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

I thought that there were not going to be anymore core changes to this sim? Only bug fixes.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

What in the world gave you that idea ?

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Not according to what Gjon wrote few months ago here. Development focus on rF2 seems to be less indeed, but no reason why things like water evaporation rate couldn't be adjusted.

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

What have been said is that 1098 would be the final non-Steam build, maybe that's reason for the confusion ?

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

everyone can read a million things into what Gjon wrote in that post, this one stands our for me:
    "We will continue to develop rF2 into the foreseeable future"

How long the "foreseeable" bit is anyone's guess, could be a few months, could be a few years, either way RF2 development has not slowed drastically to a point where it's stopped. We're still getting new/updated cars & tracks and there's a new Build being worked on, who knows,m that may have Wet Weather advancements in that :)

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Yeah, it could mean anything really, as you say. It could be 3 months or 3 years for all we know.

Honestly, this realroad evaporation is the only big thing that needs attention that I can think of. At the very least, it needs a separate setting from RR rate, so that the admins themselves can control it.