T500RS loses connectivity randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by hoover, Aug 27, 2016.

1. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi folks,

I have a weird problem with my t500rs. Sometimes in between launches and esp. when exiting the sim (rfactor2 or FBMS, doesn't matter), I get an intermittent, crackling noise in the speakers (although I'm using headphones) and the green LED on the wheelbase starts to flicker alongside the crackling.

When unplugging the wheel and plugging it back in, it fails to initialize (not completing the usual 720 deg wheel rotation).

The only cure seems to be a cold reboot of the system (win7 prof 64bit). AFAIK I'm on the latest wheel firmware.

Has anybody else seen this problem?

Thanks in advance & all the best, Uwe

tm.png

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is that the latest driver? Mine says 2.8.54.0

3. hoover

hoover Registered

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll try a driver update and report back.

All the best,

Uwe

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I would try to use another usb port

5. A.Driver

A.Driver Registered

Yes, I've had random power loss on my T500RS . It first started ontrack in rF2 but I found that I could make it lose power at the desktop (Win10) if I quickly turned the wheel left to right .
    I down-graded the firmware and that seemed to fix it but the next day it started to fail again . I kept trying different firmware and driver combinations but nothing was helping .
    I found that if I disconnected the USB and the power brick from the wall for a few
    minutes then reconnected , the wheel would come back to life (capacitor drain I presume) but would die again when I 'worked' the wheel .

Finally , I was on track when the wheel died , so I ESC back to the pit but stayed in session and fully disconnected the wheel .
    After a few minutes I reconnected the wheel and unusually rF2 recognised the T500RS
    (usually have to exit the game and rejoin if wheel is disconnected so that rF2 can 'see' the wheel again) . Went out on track and the wheel works fine and haven't had a problem since (fingers crossed).
    HTH , Lee .

6. hoover

hoover Registered

Looking good on my end so far, no connectivity losses since updating to the latest drivers.

All the best,

Uwe

7. GT Speedster

GT Speedster Registered

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    John likes this.
  8. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I have the T300, quite new. New to the Thrustmasters altogether. Used to use only Logitech for years.
    Though I do love the T300 and pro pedals the one thing that has court me out is the PC "wont" boot up with the wheel plugged in. Everything else can be connected, gear shift, extra keyboard and mouse, pedals and a SRH dash-button box's that has two USB cables. But the wheel itself. Nope.
    We don't have or I couldn't find here at home USB extension cables that would work well though. They basically were only 2.0 but I found on ebay high speed 3.0 cables from China. Plus a powered 4 port USB that I got here. A second un-powered one but now with high speed 3.0 cables.

But still wont boot with the wheel connected. I've had the wheel go dead on me once or twice before I got the high speed cables but it wasn't while I was using it. It was just on but I was doing other things. Not a good thing to do really. Don't do that anymore.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Does it totally go dead or just lose FFB? There is a menu option, if it's the latter, that allows you to assign a button to reset the FFB. I used to have that issue with my Red Logitech Momo, but even with years of abuse on my G25, I haven't seen that since I retired the Momo.

10. sheliev.art

sheliev.art Registered

Hello! I have the same problem with my T500RS. Was there a solution to the problem?

11. hoover

hoover Registered

Sadly no. The issue still happens frequently on win7 even with the latest drivers & firmware.

It's not happening on Linux and that's not really surprising as the TS500 drivers won't load there and the wheel & pedal axis / axae / axes are only partially recognized, so it's definitely a driver issue.

12. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

It sounds USB-related to me and certain motherboards are prone to USB-issues. Some solutions I have read about or experienced related to Sim-racing are using powered USB-hubs for controllers or using a dedicated PCIe USB-card for your controller. If you have a modded wheel with a separate USB cable, those can have USB connection issues in some cases and stabilizing the cable / socket connection can help.

13. sheliev.art

sheliev.art Registered

Thanks for the answer!