How to add skid marks onto track?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mikec87, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

Hi guys,

I am wondering how this could be done? Have a look at the image and you can see where they hold 1/8th mile drags at the track I am making.

Is there a way to do something like this?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mike View attachment 20660

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

People usually lay a plane on top of the track surface and then have a material with alpha texture to emulate the skids, much as how while lines are done - using the decal flag. Personally I don't like them, since RF2 has it's RealRoad already.

3. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

I am wondering if I made a special image with those already on if that would work? It is just optional at this stage.

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I wouldn't suggest static art which represent dynamic events, as skid marks, sitting on top of the real road.

They'll look not too good when you have a wet surface, for example, as well when they'll sit on top of the dynamic and darker "groove" line.

If you really want it, try to make it light and half transparent (via vertex), so you don't completely cover what's happening at realroad level. Another trick is to create one or two road diffuse, hosting some marks, so you can use these variations just before corners, instead standard (and clean) diffuse. This way marks are at raster level and they'll be affected by realroad without sorting glitches.

Also... you already have cars putting down skidmark decals, when they lock hard, but at least they are dynamic and temporary.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

^ agreed

6. Radar

Radar Registered

Just on skid marks.. I recall seeing a setting change in one of the config files, that could leave the skid marks down for the duration of the race. Is that still available at all? Although the OP has mentioned the skids are from drag racing it would be nice to see these last either longer or the whole duration of the race.