Question about FFB performances

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Comante, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

I own a G27, and while I know it's not the strongest guy on the park, there is something that puzzle me about it's performances.. maybe I'm making something wrong on my settings.. so..
    So the question is: why my G27 is so strong that I have to fight it on the straights of 1966 belgium driving a EVE or a Howston G4-G6, (with the settings I use, I don't register any clipping on pedal overlay), but other cars feels much more light at the same (or higher) force level displayed on the Pedal Overlay plugin? I thought that at the maximum level of force displayed on the pedal overlay should always correspond the same output from the wheel.. why this appear not be the case?
    I hope to have explained the concept clearly enough.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It takes more effort to keep the steering wheel in a desired position when there are forces that are constantly changing direction in an unpredictable manner (e.g. when driving high speed down the straights of belgium 1966) vs when forces occur in a predictably constant manner (e.g. when in a long and smooth surfaced high speed corner, something that is non existent in the belgium 1966 track).

In short, it may feel like the wheel is producing higher peak torques when driving down the straights at really high speed on the belgium 1966 track but in reality the peak torques are no greater than the peak torques you experience in a steady-state high/peak load corner.

In other words, the higher peak torque you think you are experiencing from your wheel is just an illusion.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Also another way to look at it, those forces might not be as linear in some cars as in others. So for example in car 1 you only obtain the peak torque at certain steering angles or speeds. But car 2 will punish you with close to peak torques all the time, so likely car 2 will feel heavier in this case and require you to apply more force on average.

Another comparison is if you put the artificial steering centering force to 100% from wheel control panel. Now this would feel very heavy to the average user, but it still has exactly the same peak torque.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

Thank you, I didn't considered that aspects.

5. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

6. Comante

Comante Registered

Thanks killer, I've digged through that thread as it developed through the years, sadly (or fortunately) a lot of thing changed in the FFB of RF2, so , not all that was true at some time in that thread is still true today. But I will make some more experiment as I really enjoy RF2 FFB.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Whilst i haven't played rf2 in over 2 years now :)(), i think the core part of the guide should still be applicable, no? That is, setting the optimal ffb multiplier to prevent ffb clipping and reducing/removing any ffb deadzone in your FFB wheel.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes it is