The Rookie League : NGTC

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by SRGP, Jul 10, 2016.

1. SRGP

SRGP Registered

The Rookie League : NGTC
    The Rookie League is a special series, targeted for people new to sim racing or with less than one year experience. We aim to provide friendly competition and learning at the same time.

[​IMG]

Calendar
    Each Event will follow the same format : 30min. Practice / 10min. Qual. / 30min. Race
    Check your local time on the website (19:00 UTC = 20:00 Britain = 21:00 Europe = 13:00 US East = 12:00 US Central = 10:00 US West)
    #1 : Sun. 17 July, 19:00 (UTC) > TRL : NGTC @ Matsusaka
    #2 : Sun. 24 July, 19:00 (UTC) > TRL : NGTC @ Hockenheim
    #3 : Sun. 31 July, 19:00 (UTC) > TRL : NGTC @ Mores
    #4 : Sun. 7 August, 19:00 (UTC) > TRL : NGTC @ Silverstone
    #5 : Sun. 14 August, 19:00 (UTC) > TRL : NGTC @ Brands Hatch
    #6 : Sun. 21 August, 19:00 (UTC) > TRL : NGTC @ Mid-Ohio
    #7 : Sun. 28 August, 19:00 (UTC) > TRL : NGTC @ Sebring 80
    The server will be up approximatively 6 days before each Event. Search SimRacing-GP.net_TRL in the lobby.

Drivers Championship
    As the series name suggests, this series is mainly towards new comers. Nonetheless, a Drivers Championship is on the line for those who prefer to race for more than just fun ;)
    The Champion is the Driver who has scored the most points at the end of the 7 Rounds. Each round will use the same Point system ; it is made to take the number of Participants into account and to keep the standings tight untill the end (details in Event Briefings).
    To allow for more flexibility, the worst result in Points for each Driver will be dropped, which will cover one missed Round.

Teams Championship
    A Team Championship will be held in parallel to the Drivers championship.
    Teams are formed by 2 to 4 Drivers. To ensure the competition is alive till the end of the series, for each Round, the Team will score the average of its Drivers total Points. Therefore even a 2 Drivers Team can win the Team Championship.
    Drivers are asked to not change Team during the course of the Series.

Constructors Championship
    A Constructors Championship will be held in parallel to the Drivers championship.
    The Constructors are BMW / Chevrolet / Ford / Honda / Mitsubishi / Toyota. To ensure the competition is alive till the end of the series, for each Round, the Constructor will score the average of its up to 3 best Drivers total Points. Therefore even a 1 Driver Constructor can win the Constructor Championship.
    Drivers are asked to not change Constructor during the course of the Series. This is mainly to spice things : it is up to the Participants to take it as seriously as in real life !

Join us & Share some fun !

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2016
  2. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Is that a typo, or was Mores replaced by Lime Rock Park only for the Challenge?

3. SRGP

SRGP Registered

I followed Riverside's schedule here.
    For the Challenge, I changed some tracks to avoid too many repetitions.

4. Krobs

Krobs Registered

Do we have choice of tire compound? If so what would you guys recommend for the 30 minute race. Thanks in advance! Cheers

5. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

@SRGP: Ah ok, I thought Riverside was taking the suggestions earlier in the thread for the series calendar. Sorry, my bad.

@Krobs: The mod offers soft or medium dry tyre compounds. I used the soft compound for the Challenge, and that's fine for qualifying. The wear rate was pretty high though, and for the 30min race, I would recommend the medium.
    Real life BTCC races are just 20 min (they do have 3 of them on race day!), and in dry conditions drivers are hanging on with high degradation...the mod's tyres aren't THAT fragile, but it will still be tough to keep them alive for 30mins, I imagine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  6. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Yes I think it is better to give freedom of choice for the tyre compound.
    Medium or Soft should be the more suited. You can also mix them (I believe), like Medium for the Front wheels and Soft at the Rear (for a FWD) but I rarely have good results this way ;)

7. Emery

Emery Registered

As TPG has been running a Wednesday night (USA time) series of 30 minute races with these cars I've found tire choice will depend on the track and driver ability. Silverstone National, for instance, I find is kind with tire wear even with all its righthand corners and I have no trouble getting softs to last for 30 minutes. Brands Hatch, on the other hand, is brutal on tire life due to many opportunities for locking the brakes and you'll be hard pressed to make mediums last for 30 minutes, particularly if you're being hard-pressed by the competition.

Another factor in tire choice is the potential for rollovers with fwd. Softs make it that much easier to roll if you're not smooth. Rollovers are less of a factor for the rwd cars, but the rwd cars have less top speed potential. Choose wisely :cool:

8. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

That's great info Emery, but I feel us rookies need to take a simpler approach to begin with. I've been using rF2 for just over a year, but I have lots of trouble being consistent on both pace and tyre management. What are "rollovers"? Do you mean flipping the car over?! :eek:

9. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Thanks Emery, that's a precious comment !

About the rollovers, I forgot to mention that somewhere. At a certain angle & speed, the car can be launched on 2 wheels or even flip over, particularly with "saussage" or high kerbs. So, better to practice before the race ;)

10. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Wow! Ok, so avoid high kerbs, got it. And this is more likely on the soft tyres? Hmm, interesting... :/

11. Emery

Emery Registered

Oh, you don't even need kerbs to flip... high speed turn, slightly downhill, possibly off camber and "whoopsie!" There are a couple of good opportunities at Toban Medium. It's all about hitting the brakes too hard (or lifting off throttle too abruptly) while turning too quickly. I bicycled a Subaru Justy in a slalom back in '94 (that experience encouraged me to switch to a Mazda Miata for the next few years).

12. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Dayum! Do you feel that behaviour is caused by strange physics, or perhaps not enough mass to the cars? I mean, I've flipped the ISI Civic once at Mid-O... are there any other cars which do this?
    I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds awesome and cool! ;)

13. Emery

Emery Registered

No, not strange physics. It's what happens when there's too much traction and high-ish & forward center of gravity plus the springboard input of an optimistic driver. In real life you can easily do it with underinflated tires. For instance, original VW Rabbits (aka Golf to y'all) were known to trip over themselves.

"bicycled" = going up on two wheels
    slalom = weaving between a row of pylons/cones/"witches hats"

14. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Excellent, thank you for explaining. And a Miata? Is that what y'all call an MX5 over yonder? :)

15. Emery

Emery Registered

16. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Registered

Hello.

What do I have to do to participate?

Ah, and what cars are those? I'm not sure I have them.

17. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Hi Gerbuho, you can join us here, just Register and Signup.
    These cars are community made to give the ISI Honda Civic some company. You can have them from SimRacing4Life, or the files would be downloaded & installed upon joining the server ("SimRacing-GP.net_TRL").

18. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Registered

Thank you. I actually found the practice server and was able to download the cars so it seems I'm ready. :)

19. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Finally back online after a few weeks out with no internet; glad to see TRL coming along so well!

@Ran Hombres: Sorry, man, I was not online enough to write back and reply on time to your suggestion on keeping Lime Rock and dropping something else; love LR but at this point we should probably keep the schedule and we can also have it for next series :)

@Gerbuho: Bienvenido amigo! but do keep in mind this league is meant to be the slowest and rookiest of the bunch... ;P

Gerbuho and I go back a long way (Like 3 months :) in Raceroom, and he is my mentor, though I am a very untalented student.

@SRGP: I will hopefully be able to make it back for the first race but traveling earlier in the weekend; PM me before Saturday if you need anything from me.

"See you" all soon!

20. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Welcome back. :)

No need for an apology, it's your baby! To be honest, I'm happy to drive on any tracks you choose, I just got the impression from the other thread that you had swapped Mores for LRP. It's no biggie, this is a great initiative. If you need any assistance, I'd be happy to help where I can, mate. ;)