Track Modding Google Hangout and Youtube videos

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Woodee, Jul 9, 2016.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Although you are right, none (bar the ones from freew67) of those use modelling for rF2 as a goal. This means certain things which will only be noise in the explanation and can be left out, and rF2 specific things, which there are, introduced.

I don't know what the target audience will be, although, it might be good to know who is attending and what their skill level is beforehand, so the agenda can reflect those people. Just a thought :)

If you focus on the rF specific things, well, to be honest, I do think a lot of people do not have the slightest clue where to begin when they want to build a track*. That the target platform happens to be rF2, seems to me a secondary goal :) So right from the start, the initial starting point is something they need to decide. Is this course giving you a look into starting a track from scratch, or are you updating an existing one, are you doing a simple conversion, or are you importing an excisting track and do a complete overhaul to bring it into 2016 standards, hmm, so many options ;)

*This does depend heavily who your target audience is, so I think it would be wise to look into that. You don't to go over everybody's head in the first session, and not go completely basic when everybody is expecting more details either.

11 days to wait, hope I don't forget!

Just saw this one:
    I wouldn't automatically assume the participants have that basic knowledge. If you need this from people, I'd very much include that in the announcement/information post. I also think that most people who want to do some modding, but end up quitting or not doing it, are actually missing out on these basics in the first place. Hmm, a questionaire might not be so bad maybe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Hello everyone,

I'm going to use this small test track on upcoming Hangout session.

Sandbox Test Track

This package should be extracted to DevMode. Default location is

...\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\Locations (Steam installation of DevMode)

...\Users\XXX\Documents\rFactor2\ModDev\Locations (non-Steam installation of DevMode)

This package contains following items:

- Short test track with skidpad, which contains examples of paint-, concrete wall-, armco wall-, caution cone objects, some billboard/sign structures and piece of terrain
    - 3ds max scene file (2010 format) of the track, separate scene of armcos & walls, cones and billboard structure
    - track textures (in dds - format)
    - track gmt's
    - few psd files of textures

This test track is drivable in devmode. You can also look at it in Track Viewer. It is unfinished, got some purposely made flaws and we are going to model something on it and maybe fix few things on the way. In end of this session, we are going to export this track from 3ds max to fbx-format and import it to gJED and play around it there little bit.

This session will be recorded and published later on youtube, so don't worry if you miss something on this Hangouts. You can always go back to youtube and check out things again afterwards.

In the end of this Hangout, we will have Q&A session where I try to answer as many questions as possible. Don't worry, if I don't have time to answer all questions in Q&A session. I will also answer questions here in ISI forums afterwards.

Cheers,

Jka

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Everybody, this is your chance to get a proper introduction into track modding - It's weird looking at the FB-participant count and thinking back on all the people who wish to start modding, arguing that there is so little available information and that current modders are holding their knowledge to themselfes...

This is your chance! Get on with it :rolleyes:

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If you can join us at 18:30 UK time that would be great. I have activated DVR on Youtube so you can watch on a delay if you turn up late (chat will run in realtime though of course).

Chopped up versions of all topics will be available on youtube a little while after (I have edited them) and they will appear here.

5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I just checked that live streaming will start in 7 hours. I have missed from the very beginning the scheduling of these sessions. It is not specified anywhere except in the youtube video.

For me it will be very difficult to join live sessions during summer since I am out of my house many times during this period.

I do support the idea of modding community working together in an appropriate platform for interactive teaching/learning as the one suggested by Woodee.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The plan is to have other hangouts.... maybe on subjects that others have major problems with. They don't have to be just track modding, I would like to have car ones to. Now while I won't be the speaker (and others are welcome to be guests on the "show"), volunteers covering important subjects would be most welcome.

This first one we tried to fit in with the US and Euro timezones. Others we may try a different time so as many people can take part as possible.

7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I'd like to join in but it will be 3:30am for me so I'll have to miss it. I look forward to seeing the replay.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

We'll try an Asia/Aus friendly one next time if this proves positive and useful for peeps

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

We have been live for just under an hour.... 15-20 mins in chat... come join us :)

10. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Amazing resource video. The new modders don't have any excuse :p now.

Sugestion: Now, on youtube video description, was a good idea to have a list, by hangout topics, with redirect to the exact time in video, if you know what I'm saying.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Hi Nuno,

Thanks for the kind words...

I will be splitting the video up by topic so that peeps don't need to open the big vid. Helps others searching on youtube to find a video on a specific subject.

Jka streamed for 2 hours... thanks to him for this hangout.

Please leave suggestions in this thread about subjects to cover on future hangouts if people want them (Will try some Aus/Asia friendly times). GTVirus stayed with us till the end... it was 5am in his part of the world!!! :D

Suggestions:
    • Making a simple trackside object (mapping from free resources, creating normal maps and spec maps)
    • Starting from blank canvas and making a simple track to take into gJED then be able to drive on it in DevMode.
    • Terrain specific videos plus tips and tricks. Fading/mixing textures together.
    • Use of free/paid plugins to make things to do with tracks.
    • Creating track from real world data - elevations and surrounding terrain (panoramic photos, Lidar, other height data)
    • Anything else?

12. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I'm up for that Will be checking out the youtube videos as well.

13. Radar

Radar Registered

Currently the video says private (assuming it's not released yet). Like Nibiru it was 3:30am so I'm looking forward to the video when it's released.

I'm using many tools to do certain things as I am self taught, it will be interesting to see how others are doing things to see if I doing it right or wrong, or ways to do things quicker / better.

Other suggestions for the newbies..

Animation.
    UVW Maps and using UVW on different channels ie for AO channel.
    Texture baking.
    AO (Ambient Occlusion). Where to use AO best for example as part of the textures in models, or used in the ISI shaders.
    Programs used for better textures ie DDO and techniques.

These are just ideas, some I use but something that others may benefit from.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  14. Steve76

Steve76 Registered

Thank you this excellent video tutorial. I hope it will soon be published.
    I'm waiting for the next...

15. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Some great tools

Outliner: Great Layer manager for 3dsmax

SageThumbs Windows explore DDS preview

nDo lagacy Normal and specular maps in photoshop

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks to everyone who is involved in this - I couldnt join the live sessions but going to set aside time to watch the youtube video :)

17. shiet

shiet Registered

Can we see the stream somewhere on youtube? I would like to learn! :):rolleyes:

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Not yet, I still need to edit and title it.

19. JayLandi

JayLandi Registered

It would be nice if the hangout was available in its entirety to watch just now. Many people who missed it live would make use of it and want to see it as it was when broadcast. In the long run, yes it's better to have it split up and titled, but for the short term it's a shame that the video is kept private, it doesn't make sense to me. Can it be made available after each broadcast until the editing is done?

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Videos have been cut up and titled... first one will be released at 18:00 UK time 31st July.

A new video will be released at 18:00 UK time every day until all 7 are public.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016