Clouds textures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

There is a possibility things have changed in all these newer builds. That was done a wee while ago that video

2. trollray

trollray Registered

Thanks for the answer and participating ;)
    Just before it happen, i would like to say it was just a question about the possibilities of modding the clouds now.
    So please, don't begin a duck debate ( :p see track team tweet to understand lol )
    I'm very pleased with what i have so far and i'm far more in the wait for rain effects or wind to be finished.
    I was just curious and i have my answer ;)

Now you, i think the next build must integrate umbrellas in the audience when it rain, THAT would be realistic lolllll ;)

3. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I'm a massive fan of skies, and a bit of a cloud geek. I have to do it for my job so it's a good excuse. My favourites being 'velum' and 'pileus' cloud.

I'd love to see cumulonimbus clouds in rF2 but the processing power would have to be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure rF2 has enough CFD going on with the aerodynamics physics, and doesn't really need to waste any more processing power worrying about cloud formations. Just look at FSX to see how complex weather affects performance.

I do have some recommendations though that I'd be interested to see if they could be implemented without affecting performance. The first thing is the cloud height (cloud base in meteorological terms). Could this be dynamic. For example, high clouds when there is light cloud, and then lower cloud when it's overcast or raining. Second thing is: cloud thickness. Keeping one layer, could the thickness of the layer be increased when it's raining?

Those two things would massively increase the immersion levels, if like me, you enjoy looking at the sky whilst blasting through Eau Rouge at 180mph. It bothers my OCD when rain starts falling from Cirrostratus cloud.

*geekmode off*

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+ 1

If this were a flight simulator... Agree with your seemingly practical recommendations.

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Fortunately, when I get airborne in RF2, seldom I have the time to see how flat the clouds are, as the view out of the windscreen tend to be too fast to be seen. :D