Flags, Banners, Signs -- Cloth Animations

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bink, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Bink

Bink Registered

Ok... Thanks to ISI Staffer Christopher Elliot for increasing my upload limit.

Back at it tomorrow.

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks Christopher & ISI.... :cool: oh and of cause you Bink :)

3. Bink

Bink Registered

Slight delay... someone is trying to hire me again. Out of courtesy, I'll go listen, but I can't imagine anything more fun that this, and the aiw~thing. Probably be back at the cloth animation stuff tomorrow. Thinking we need some vertical banners next.

4. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

5. Bink

Bink Registered

Posted 2 new tents above... under new category: "Tents (complete)"

6. Bink

Bink Registered

New Category (+animations) above... "Hot Air Balloons"

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Nice work!! I'd love to see all these incorporated into a track to see the ambience.

8. Bink

Bink Registered

Thanks.. they'll probably show up.. hopefully well disguised in some interesting textures.

I need to remap uvw's after modifying the structure on future enclosed objs like tents and balloons. It's a problem, because it's unlikely that any of the initial un-altered objects show up in any of the animation frames. [so... re-mapping off of those could have distortions on other frames]

The code allows saving cofig files for each object, and I save the un-altered base objs, so the second run of each category usually comes out better (after having enough time to notice the irritating parts about them).

Still need some vertical hanging stuff, more tent varieties, well mapped balloons, and better pennants.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

Curtains!

LOL, you may think this is a rather special case and you may well be right... Riems-Geuex road circuit had a curtain installed for their 12 hour race so the rising sun wouldn't blind the drivers as they drove into it. This black curtain was a huge affair, hanging from a 3-story building that spanned the highway. Maybe there are some other uses for curtains?

10. Bink

Bink Registered

Hey Emery... got a picture? ... Top fixed position, or top + sides fixed? ... bottom flapping or fixed? ... only corners fixed?... (w x h) size?

11. Bink

Bink Registered

3 new triangular prism shaped tents posted.. under tents (complete)

12. Emery

Emery Registered

13. Bink

Bink Registered

Cool, looks like it's suspended on festoons. I'll mess with it tomorrow.

so... is it good weather for tubing on the Willamette yet?

14. Emery

Emery Registered

I believe the Willamette Valley is touching 80F this week, though I'm on the coast where we had a nice 72F day yesterday and I fished (unsuccessfully) in the bay.

15. Bink

Bink Registered

Looks like that huge curtain is about 3 times the track width.

What do you suppose the track width is... around 12m ?

16. Emery

Emery Registered

Closer to 8m, I think. It was just a 2-lane highway at that time, one lane in each direction.

17. Bink

Bink Registered

New tents posted in "Tents (complete)":
    -- 2 smaller prism
    -- 2 large hex-body dual-mast
    -- 1 house shaped (cuboid w/prism canopy)

18. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi,

I do not use 3DSMAX.

It would be great to convert some samples to gmt file and release it with a downloadlink.

Thanks Leonardo (Peter) :)

19. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Hey Bink,

I am getting some weird deformations with the tents once I get them in my scene. I have tried several different tents several times and they all have done some sort of deformation. I did everything like I did with flags which worked great so not sure what is going on. I have tried Tent12,13 and Hex tent and house tent with now luck. Is it something maybe with the Animation file I create? Yes I have moved it up into the sky even so there was no other Geometry messing with it as well.

BTW thank you so much for doing these I have had fun implementing them in my latest track.

Mike

20. Bink

Bink Registered

Hey Leo... wie gehts?

Using 3dsMax, and the exporter, we have to import the animation at the origin of the scene... then place the resulting animation file (.anm), and .gmt in the proper rF2 directories.... run it, get (all the way) out of rF2... then go back to Max, and move the obj to the proper place, and export the .gmt to the actual position.

Not quite sure if / how the pipeline would work without Max.

It may be possible (for someone with Max) to export the .anm to a different track (at the origin), post the .anm file and a .gmt file, and then (perhaps) let you guys without Max move the obj with simEd (or whatever you normally use), but I've never tried this, so I don't know if it would work.

I've got 3dSimEd, and if time permits, I'll try to do this sometime next week.

Don't think I'll be doing more than one file this way (if it even works), but if it does, perhaps some other ambitious modder here will do it with the rest of the library of files.