GTX 970 "overheating" issues?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Hedlund_90, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Just replaced my GTX 690 with a 970, mainly because I almost never can take advantage of SLI in rF2 (Silverstone is an exeption - buttersmooth!), and I'm also suffering from only having 2GB.

With this new 970 it worked better! But after an hour playing I had my first blackscreen. After that I have it every 10th minute of gameplay. I have the ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX DC2 OC and the cooler is really good on this one. Fans won't start before 66°C. I have checked that the fans start, and the temperature does not rise above 63° once the fans have started. Still I have this black screen issue. My monitor looses the signal but rf2 runs as usual in the background - so I have to restart my PC.

I tried to set fans manually - to 60% - and temperature won't go above 50°C and suddenly the problems i gone! I've had a benchmark program running for 1 hour without any issues. Wth? Does the card really "overheat" at 65°C, but it runs fine at 50?? :confused:

I have googled a lot the last days, and LOTS of people seem to have same issues with the 970, not only with ASUS but all manufacturers. Have you guys experienced something similar? Is this card really that crappy? Coil-whine is very, very common too :(

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I'm on the evga gtx970 with oc by evga..dunno type exactly. Coilwhine yes. Overheating and blackscreens never. Only blackscreens i had was with crapy nvidea drivers

3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have tried the latest nvidia drivers but also older ones. Makes no difference for me. But as I said, setting the fans manually to 60% makes the problem dissappear :p Maybe there is some kind of bug with the "auto" fans, because temperature is okay!

Question is, if I should return it because it's quite obvious something is wrong. But I will keep fans at 60% and try to participate in the F3 fanatics tonight and see what happens!

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

See you there

5. Richard729

Richard729 Registered

I also have the ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX DC2 OC and I've also had black screen problems during games.

INFO
    This card has a known problem at about 74ºC when it throttles down to about 550MHz and needs a reboot for it to work normally again. I have set the Temperature Limit in GPU Tweak to 71ºC to avoid this.
    But overheating at 65ºC???? That seems a very low temperature to be causing problems.

BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM
    Are you using a DisplayPort cable? Another known problem with the Asus Strix is a black screen at boot, restart and occasionally in normal use, when using a DisplayPort cable.
    Asus have a firmware update:
    BIOS update for STRIX-GTX970
    Fix DP display issue with certain monitors

I used GPU Tweak to find the update, but it said I had the latest firmware.
    I found the new firmware on the Asus site:
    https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/HelpDesk_Download/

It has cured my boot/restart black screen problems. I haven’t played PC games much recently, so I cannot guarantee that it will solve your problem, but it’s certainly worth a try.
    Perhaps the DisplayPort problem is affected by temperature.

***** Please double check that the firmware update is for your card.

6. Richard729

Richard729 Registered

I also noticed some coil-whine, but now I limit the frame rate to 60FPS which has reduced whine to zero/almost zero.

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you, but now I have pretty much already decided to return the card. I had a black screen again tonight, after setting the fans manually to avoid the card temperature to go above 50°C. I thought it was stable, but apparently not. I had enough and reinstalled my old 690 that works like a charm.

I guess I could always try to update the firmwire, even though I'm not using a DP cable. But I think I return it instead, to get a new one - or maybe a different one. If problem persist, then I definitely have to go through everything in my system. But it's strange that the 690 works fine, it is a more power demanding card, I think.

8. Richard729

Richard729 Registered

Yes - it definitely sounds like a faulty card.

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Try this one with your old 690 card:

Open Nvidia inspector rFactor2 profile.

Compatibility:
    SLI comparability bits: 0x02402004

Sync and refresh:
    Maximum pre rendered frames: 1

Common:
    Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance.

UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:
    "Max Framerate":60,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

rFactor2 video settings:
    Mode > Fullscreen
    Anti Aliasing > 3-6
    HDR> on
    Sync > video (use this only if you have micro stutters)

:)

10. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Thanks for the thread, atleast i know never to buy an ASUS card... ive got MSI 980 gaming running at cca 1400 Mhz and no problems, no throttling

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thanks for trying to help. I have so many things since I bought my 690.. a few times I thought I got it working perfectly! But then.. massive fps drop on particular situations on particular tracks. Nothing ever seems to work for everything. Well, nowadays SLI actually gives me a boost and quite smooth gameplay - BUT - slow motion effect when passing by the pits on most tracks with mirrors enabled... lol.

I think I have already tried this thing with the compatibility bits, years ago, but it never hurts to try again. Only problem is that the compatibility bits you are suggestion does not excist on my inspector, the latest version :confused: The closest one is 0x02402005 (which is the default one, it seems), there is no one ending on 4 at all.

Regarding the JSON, I have always been running texture sharpening 0 :)

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have now tried these settings and as usual I first thought it worked. I mean, driving alone on track was the smoothest gaming experience I've had in years! Adding 19 AI's at Suzuka actually worked quite well too. Only problem is that when frames drop to about 70 or so, I get too much input lag with v-sync on. It is usually in the most demanding situations SLI is worse. And with v-sync off it doesn't look smooth. Also, having mirrors on makes the game go in slowmotion when the pit is visible in the mirrors, on certain tracks. Mirrors gives a much bigger fps drop with SLI than without SLI..

Well, it's the same way it always been.. It works perfect...but only in certain conditions. With one GPU I have less fps and on certain tracks less smooth image, BUT I can just throw anything at it and it still works reasonable well in all conditions.

Back in the days I tried to find the perfect crossfire settings for my Radeon 6950's to get a small fps boost in BF3.. That's the only memory I have of multi GPU's actually working, although not perfect. Then trying to get my 7970's to work with rf2 a couple of years ago - which was an impossible task. And now my 690 with double GPU's that I have barely been able to use.. What can I say? I'm done with multi GPU forever. Just sad the 970 didn't work :(

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

SLI compatibility bits: 0x02402004 is the most important setting to edit if you have dual GPU`s. If you are using SLI compatibility bits: 0x02402005 settings from my post # 9 don`t work. You must manually edit that last number with Nvidia Inspector and hit apply.

NVidia profile (rFactor2 Mod Mode.exe, rFactor2.exe) is created 2011-09-22 and it is outdated and seems to be much like Nvidia default game profile with Nvidia default SLI compatibility bits: 0x02402005. People seem to believe that Nvidia game profile is only to SLI but in reality it is as much to single card and new profile would increase game experience and reduce TDR`s black screen issues to many Nvidia card owners SLI or non SLI. I have asked to get new profile in many threads but there is always some wise guy who is ignoring and spamming my requests. :mad:

This are Nvidia default bits:

0x02402001 - 2 Way SLI AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering)
    0x02402002 -SFR (Split Srame Rendering) (needs a minimum of 2 cards)
    0x02402003 - AFR-SFR (AFR of SFR gets around the 3 frame buffer limit of DX9)
    0x02402004 - Single GPU
    0x02402005 - 4 Way SLI AFR (This is rFactor2 bits.)
    0x02402006 - 3 Way SLI AFR

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Okay I will give it a new try when as soon as I can. Thanks.

15. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

How do I edit the last number?

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Open Nvidia Inspector profile settings > Profiles: rFactor2 Mod Mode.exe, rFactor2.exe > SLI Comparability bits > click Setting Value > hit Backspace > copy 0x02402004 > paste 0x02402004> Apply changes.
    http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

17. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you very much sir :D

First it didn't work that well and the image didn't look smooth at all, but that was with framrate locked to 60. I have a 120Hz monitor but since the framerate usually drops to about 70-80 quite often, I thought 60 would still be better. But I had some stutter, and when I locked it to 120 instead it became much smoother!

Next thing I did that actually improved it was to set antialiasing in Nvidia to "multi-GPU 8x" and that gave me a fps boost but most importantly I still have that smooth image when the framerate drops as low as 50-60 with many AI's :) The multi-GPU AA has always improved framerate but it has never been stable for me, until now. No more slow motion effects neither. Thank you very much :D Input lag is better too, I think I'll be able to use vsync (video). Btw, do you have an opinion about the "adaptive tear control" that is available in Nvidia inspector? I have read somewhere that it is better than vsync because of less input lag, but I don't know..

18. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Unfortunately I didn't notice from your profile that you have 120 hz monitor (BenQ XL2420T). Input lag should not be a problem at all if your system can deliver 120fps game play. When I read you reply it makes me to believe that you can be able to play locked 120 fps with your system if you are using Nvidia driver 353.30 with SLI Compatibility Bits: 0x02D04005(LEGO Batman 2, etc)and if I was you I did give it a go.

Download 353.30 : http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
    Download and make clean install with Display Driver Uninstaller : http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/....php?f=5&t=273

Nvidia Inspector > rFactor2 profile:
    SLI Compatibility Bits > 0x02D04005 (LEGO Batman 2, etc)
    Maximum pre-rendered frames > 1
    Power management mode > Preferer maximum performance.
    Important: Do only this don`t mess with other settings

UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:
    "Max Framerate":120,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

rFactor2 video settings:
    Mode > Fullscreen
    Anti Aliasing > 3-4
    HDR> on

Inn Game > Options > Display:
    Circuit Detail > High
    Player Detail > Full
    Opponent Detail > High
    Texture Detail > High
    Texture Filter > X8
    Special Effects > Full/High
    Shadows > Low (This is FPS killer #1 in rF2)
    Shadow Blur > Off
    Soft particles > Off
    Rain Drops > Yes
    Road Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)
    Environment Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)

:)

19. mel1c

mel1c Registered

Windows 10 is not listed as a supported OS for Driver 353.30. Does it work with Win 10 64 bit? I see your spec says you are on Win 10

20. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

353.30 is listed as win 10 64 bit supported driver: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/86510/en-us

If you have single(non SLI) Titan X you can use latest driver and settings from my post #9 but if you feel that you don`t get satisfying performance and game experience is 353.30 the best driver to all ISI gMotor based sims like AMS, rF1 etc. to single card or SLI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016