Interested in racing league for rookies / novice drivers…?

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Riverside, Jun 25, 2016.

1. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

That is very weird. Try searching for some other sources for the cars. It worked for me and everyone else, so maybe change Browser.

2. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

@Erik Springelkamp: could the problem be that the list of tracks in SRGP's post above does not contain a link for Lime Rock Park?

I have a lot of rF2 content uploaded to dropbox... give me some time, and I'll make a new set of links for all the stuff we need for this series. ;)

3. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Not 100% sure, but could it be that you need some content which is not in SRGP's post above? Lime Rock Park, for example, is running on the server but isn't in the list.

I can't post links here yet, but I could send you a pm on the Simracing-GP site with dropbox links if you want, Erik?

4. Juan

Juan Registered

My vote is #4

5. Erik Springelkamp

Erik Springelkamp Registered

I did try different browsers, and at least that funny new Window 10 browser could continue the download in very many very small steps.

I usually have very good network connections.

But I don't like my games to become a DIY construction kit, where mod versions will become an issue over time, so rFactor 2 in general is probably not the most suitable for me, (although I did connect to some servers that automatically installed all missing packages, and that worked very well).

Also, at first I thought these would be some kind of club races for fun for slow drivers where competition would be secondary, but now I see this will become a serious competition with strict rules and long term commitment, and that is not what I am looking for.

Sorry guys, I wish you the best of luck and lots of fun.

6. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Those are some weird issues you have.
    I strongly recommend you not to let down rFactor 2 this fast as it is clearly a problem on your PC or Internet. "Get Mod" is obviously easier but it isn't difficult to install mods manually. Your problem is totally different sadly.

I strongly hope that it won't be a hard competition. I am sure that we are all here to learn new stuff and get some experience online. Would be a shame if you would leave.

Sorry but I have no clue how to get your downloads going, but I certainly hope that you will make it in the end :)

7. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

I sent you a pm on the Simracing-GP site containing alternative links to those posted previously. Give it a go, you never know. Maybe try disabling your antivirus temporarily?

I hear you. It's not quite as difficult as that, really. I get the impression that things will work smoother when the initial teething problems are ironed out. It seems a bit early to throw in the towel?

I didn't get the impression that "competition is secondary" or that the series is for "slow drivers". It's more like a stepping stone for novice drivers and those new to the sim to get to grips with how things work. It's not "serious" or "strict", we're here to have fun, of course. But what is racing if it's not competition? And you can't have competition without basic rules; "give each other space" and "respect the track limits" isn't too strict, is it?
    As for "long term commitment", I don't think 7 events during July and August could be classed as long term.

IMHO, this is a great opportunity to learn about how rF2 works, to learn about how online racing works, and to get to know a group of drivers who are more or less at the same level as I am. Sure, there are some things which need to be finalised, some hiccups to overcome, it just needs some perseverance. Don't give up so easily, mate. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  8. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Thanks to you all for your comments and @Eric, sorry to see leave, man; rf2 is definitevely not R3E when it comes to easiness of incorporating new cars and tracks because it is done by 3rd party people; as opposed to R3E, it is also free most of the time.

And yes, we are an initiative for the new and learning, and SRGP is not a service with everything wrapped and packaged like a RaceDepartment or Race2Play, but it is part of the project, and links have worked for the vast majority of interested guys. I understand your views, though, Eric; thanks for coming in!

I think most of us do want to compete and get better as we go by doing so, and so basic rules should exist so we don't get into arguments, frustrations, departures...; let's just race!

We will take votes until Saturday end of day Pacific, so final schedule can be published/confirmed by Sunday.

Please feel free to share with friends; really look forward to our first race at Suzuka!

9. wil1o

wil1o Registered

I vote no.2 and no.4

10. wil1o

wil1o Registered

Couldn't agree more, this is all about the learning with a group of like-minded and like-abilitied(ish) people :) teething problems are to be expected and like RH says perseverance is required. Effort in = effort out i always find....

11. SRGP

SRGP Registered

For those still having troubles to download the cars, I may have finally found the original post @SimRacingForLife. These are files containing the vehicle .RFCMP and the template to make custom skins.

I'll wait Riverside's call to start things up :)

12. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

I have the BTCC cars uploaded to dropbox, and I'd be happy to provide links if needed. :cool:

Will you allow the use of custom skins for the BTCC series, yeah? If so, I'd better get the booth ready, then!

13. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

I have the BTCC cars uploaded to dropbox, and I'd be happy to provide links if needed. :cool:

Will you allow the use of custom skins for the BTCC series, yeah? If so, I'd better get the booth ready, then!

14. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

15. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

16. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Yes, Custom Skin Transfer is enabled !
    Just don't use .RCD files, they have caused troubles in the past, and compress the .DDS using the .MAS tool. (basic tutorial here if needed)

17. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Nice 1, thanks! I'll try and make a skin before I go on holiday, but it will be quite basic, I imagine. :cool:

18. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Hi there, it is almost end of voting time and here is what is giving me:

View attachment 20390

It looks like late on Sunday will be the winning choice; SGRP, we should probably get ready and make sure everyone has the first round track and we start register car choices as we all decide; I believe we should only use one car each for the tournament but could use until this coming Friday to declare car.

Hope this works for everyone.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
  19. SRGP

SRGP Registered

OK, here we go :
    The Rookie League : NGTC
    [​IMG]
    The server is up !
    Look for SimRacing-GP.net_TRL in the lobby. If you don't already have them, all the files should now be downloaded & installed automatically as you join the server.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
  20. Riverside

Riverside Registered

This thread is officially closing on July 17th after the first official race of The Rookie League @ SimRacing-GP

14 Rookie Drivers showed up for our first race at Suzuka East and we had no DNFs, super fun and very nice!

Season 1 will run for six more weeks; if you are a rookie driver and think this is for you, come join us at http://simracing-gp.net/series-26