What is the ideal metod to create grass infields and outfields on 3ds max?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Ft5fTL, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Ft5fTL

Ft5fTL Registered

I'm new to track modeling and i was wondering, what is the propper metod to do the grass meshes? I tried to lofting it with the sideline edges of the road but all i got is entangled mesh that needs welding on corners. Is this the only way or is there far more simpler solutions without paying money to scripts for the job?

2. Butters

Butters Registered

have a Google for Freew67s track tutorials. Should find some top tips from his youtube vids

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

3. Ft5fTL

Ft5fTL Registered

I watched some of his videos before. He didn't explain anything on terrain meshes if i remember correctly. Let me check his channel again. Thanks for the tip.

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

One method is shift+drag.

- in top viewport, select suitable outer edge of racesurface (not too long)
    - press and hold shift + drag edge outward from racesurface. This will create new polys from the edge.
    - select these newly created polys, detach them to new mesh and rename this mesh (MyTerrain01 etc.)

When you have created first row of terrain polys, you can continue selecting outer edge and continue shift+dragging new polys as needed. Downside of this method is that there is no mapping coords after shift+drag, so you need to remap terrain after mesh creation. Also, its good method to reduce terrain polycount when you get more far away from racesurface to save rendering resources. This can be done by welding every other (terrain) outer edge verts together before shift+dragging new row of polys.

5. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Hi
    Can use splines with Turn to Poly modifier.
    1-Create a spline from track edge.
    2- Use spline Ouline funtion. Outline is better that shift -drag because respect the turns. (Moves perpendicular to curve tangent)
    3- Set interpolations steps to zero.
    4- Apply Turn to Poly modifier to spline. In parameters set [Limit Polygnon Size] to 4

If want to reduce vertex in turns, delete spline vertex and set set [Limit Polygnon Size] to 3 to get triangles

For mapping can use spline mapping when have all terrain done.

For fast mapping can use my tool

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
  6. Ft5fTL

Ft5fTL Registered

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it.