Do you need 3DS MAX to edit track cut boundaries ?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by JohnW63, Jun 5, 2016.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I am assuming you do, but to make sure , before I look into getting it and learning it, I hope one of you can confirm this. I just want to extend the boundaries a little on some pre-existing tracks, where I think Stop and Go penalties are unrealistic.

2. Butters

Butters Registered

Pretty sure you don't but you will need to be able to put the track into Mod Development mode via the SDK version

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No. Devmode. You can't do it in 3dsMax.

4. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

So, I can edit the lines, simply in DEV Mod without any other software ? Do I need a SDK version, like Butters mentioned or is the one that ships with the sim good enough ?

I've just recently learned how to view the boundary lines, but I haven't changed anything. How do you select the lines to alter and how DO you change them ?

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Select the waypoints that the yellow cut lines are connected to, then shift+arrow keys or shift+alt+arrow keys for smaller adjustments. Up down is left of the waypoint, left right controls right of the waypoint. Normal corridors work the same way btw.

6. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Is that done in a different mode then from the car, like I was to see the cut lines ? I would assume it's still in the AIW edit menu, but a different sub menu ?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When you can see the cut lines, that's when you can do it. No different mode. Note you 'select' waypoints by dragging a rectangle over them, and you need to be careful about which ones you still have selected because you can have some selected over the other side of the track and not realise you're adjusting them too. There's a line to deselect all, that's a good thing to do fairly often.

Sorry if I'm a bit vague, haven't done this myself for a while.

*Also, grab the AIW tutorial from dev corner on the isi site, it's pretty outdated now and doesn't seem to actually be a good guide for how to do things start-to-finish (or at least, it never fully worked for me, but good enough for online-only league use) but it covers a lot of the basics.

**Also, again, regarding your earlier question: there's no 'SDK' as such, just devmode. In Steam it will be kept up to date, out of steam it has the same build number as the normal build, but you can generally use older ones without issue too (there have been some recent fixes though).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

To make it clear. If you have the steam version i think it downloads the latest DEVMODE build for you... if you downloaded directly from the site, you can download the SDK from it also..
    You then have to unpack the track and load it into devmode where you can edit what you need.

9. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Dumb question alert !

With what ? I'm in the car with a wheel. How do I drag a rectangle over anything with a G25 ? I suspect there is a LOT about DEV MODE I don't know about.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

You should have a mouse cursor available in dev mode. Click on "Enter AIW editor" while on track from the upper left menu. You might have to toggle some stuff visible if the yellow lines don't show by default, can be done from that same menu.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Holding in the left mouse button and dragging forms the rectangle.
    Let go of the button and the waypoints within the rectangle will be selected (red instead of green).

EDIT:
    Heh, stonec beat me to it.

12. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Is there a way to alter my camera view, to get more over the top of the track, and not be stuck with the basic in game camera views ?

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I find that "swingman" is perfect for AIW work.

Make sure to map your controls, so you have left/right, up/down, zoom in/zoom out, and reset.
    Keypad works best for this, I find. IIRC it's already default, so.