Somersaulting the car without damage

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by wgeuze, May 22, 2016.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

In the grand final race of a leaugue, two cars shouldn't have finished the race. They made a few backflips and corkscrews, yet were able to continue the race. Aside from the fact that this looks utterly rediculous, in the most realistic sim on the market, I very much hope this can be looked at. At best, please prevent the physics engine from putting the car right side up again when it is on it's roof. Also, I would expect huge amounts of damage, but the cars could carry on relatively unscathed.

Please, can this be handled in a realistic manner?

Flip the car--> race OVER

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You do realize that "a car" is not very specific ?

3. Emery

Emery Registered

The setting is there in the player.JSON for CrashRecovery, likely your server admin just has to use it.

"GPRIX CrashRecovery#":"0=none, 1=artificially keep cars on track, 2=flip cars upright, 3=both", default is 3. There are two or three other locations in the player.JSON that specify CrashRecovery. I've not tested it, but doubt that it has changed from rF1 where I used to keep it at 0.

Look for:
    "CHAMP CrashRecovery":3,
    "CURNT CrashRecovery":3,
    "GPRIX CrashRecovery":3,
    "MULTI CrashRecovery":3,
    "RPLAY CrashRecovery":3,

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As for cars somersaulting and landing pretty much back on their wheels without damage... well, yeah, that can happen. If the engine has a lower impulse set in the damage file that can prevent it (but can start to make comparatively light car->car collisions fatal), but you can't really tweak or improve a lot of this stuff without a more detailed damage model, and I don't know if we'll get that in rF2.

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Nice info, thanks!

@Lazza,
    In these cases, a more detailed damage model would be great. This influences championships...

6. stonec

stonec Registered

What damage multiplier % value did your league server use? Damage depends very much on how mod has been built as well, all is pretty much customizable. There is no material deformation, but thresholds for breaking loose parts (wings, tires etc.) and suspension damage are all fully customizable.

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I don't know, 60% or so.

But, here is my point, whatever the settings, which are usually based on racing conditions, how often do you see a car finishing a race after it tumbled head over heals through a gravel trap?

8. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

If you set it to 100%, that's pretty much guaranteed unless your mod was made by King Kong.

In FSR we run 75% and a decent whack to the suspension alone means extremely bent steering, and DNF.

Also depends on the mod, if the mod is badly made it could also lead to tumbles not doing anything to your car.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

No wonder it doesn't work well then, 60% basically means all materials can take almost double the impact than normally without receiving damage. There shouldn't be any need to go much below 100% in any circumstances with rF2.

10. osiris32

osiris32 Registered

FSR runs 100%.

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I hope to raise damage levels then, as it hopefully promotes cleaner driving too :)

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

VEC runs 100% also, AND a with a much more fragile damage model - including repair times of up to 20 mins. So yeah, basicly it's up to the MOD and server settings.

It's "funny" to see how this effects driver behaviour also ;)

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Hmm, apparently we use 100% also!

The cars we run are the BTCC cars from simracingforlife.