How to use Gimp.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Navigator, May 11, 2016.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Gimp seems to be a nice program and I installed it. First thing I wanted to do, is change a number on a car.
    I got the Indycar of Dixon and tried to change the number "9" into "82".

I've seen many tutorials on youtube, read a LOT of tutorials on sites/forums and so on, but how mine looks; I've not seen before.....
    So I have no idea where to start, it looks like this:

View attachment 19946

Could someone please give me a few pointers on where to start off?
    Thanks!

2. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

If you give me a little time I will be pleased to put together a (short) tutorial :cool:

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

That would be great; I'm happy to wait for that!
    Thanks in advance mate!

4. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I had great fun in putting together a rather long but still not as detailed tutorial for making car-skins with the GIMP. You can find the tutorial on my website but if you are in a hurry just download the PDF here.

I guess you will find the answers to your questions if you just jump in at page 17!

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thats very nice of you, thank you so much!
    There is a lot to learn in there.

Thanks for making this mate!!

6. philman

philman Registered

Nice tutorial. Many thanks.

7. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Very nice tutorial! :)

8. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Thank you very much @all!

I've missed to say: If you want further details in this tutorial I'm open for suggestionsany/wishes to extend it!

9. philman

philman Registered

I would like to ask you some questions:
    1- Gimp contains by default a dds plugin. Do we have to replace it by that you indicate?
    2- Could you give more informations about the paragraph concerning the preparation of the template.I do not exactly understand what to do. Furthermore when we consider certain templates as that of the mod flat6 by enduracers, it is difficult to find the relation with the example which you give.

10. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Hi philman!

1: I don't know what version of GIMP you have installed but the DDS file format is not included by default. Anyhow if your version already has the dds plugin my advise would be to replace it by the latest version from the referenced source. At least this version is the only one which worked for me without any problems. The old version sometimes was very bad with gradients and some exports looked edgy or diffuse.
    2: I will work on that chapter in my next revision! Saw/heard that many seem to have problems in preparing the templates they received in PSD.

11. philman

philman Registered

Thanks for your answer. Waiting for your next revision.

12. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

Thank you very much!

13. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Hi philman,

had a quick look on the template of the Flat6 and must say you really picked out one of the more complex ones :D

But I think getting the template ready for use with rather easy too:
    1. Collapse all groups. Therefore scroll to the top in the layer menu and click on the little "-" icons in front of all groups. You should then have a better overview.
    2. Go into group "Alpha #1" and move the "Wireframe" and "Credits" layers out of it.
    3. Go into group "Parts #1" and move the "Shading_retouché" out of the group.
    4. From the same group move the groups "Highligh DARK SKIN" and "Highligh CLEAR SKIN" out of the group too. Put them right over the "Parts #1" group but below the "Shading_retouché".

That should be all required steps for a first preparation of the template :cool:
    Please note that Enduracers had made great use of layer effects. Therefore some "features" of the skin won't look like the original or can't be used without a bit of additional work. If you get into trouble please just drop a line and I will try to help ;)

Template before:
    [​IMG]

Template after:
    [​IMG]

14. philman

philman Registered

Nice: works fine. But as each case is a special case, I think it would rather do a more generic tutorial, explaining the method to use.