RF2 lite version steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philippe Malbron, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philippe Malbron

Philippe Malbron Registered

Hello everyone
    I went on the steam version, but I can not download the lite version of rf2 , it downloads all me play 10 GO
    I tried writing -workshop in launch property but nothing to do I always go 10

how to have only the lite version and then choose the mods and circuitry that is to be installed?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Philippe

2. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

I don't think you can. I would also like to know if there is a way.

Sent from my Nexus 7

3. Philippe Malbron

Philippe Malbron Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't. This has been asked and answered multiple times in the the steam threads in the News section. You have to download the entire ISI content in the steam cache, basically equivalent to .rfcmp files, so if you install them they'll take up more space, if you don't you still have that entire cache sitting there. It's just like non-steam except you can't choose to not have the ISI content sitting there ready to install.

This was a design decision to have the game arrive with content out of the box, and steam doesn't allow them to give you an option. Would be good if that changes in future.

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Not possible, they don't want to allow us to choose this. As a user it doesn't make any sense to me, but they are the devs we just must accept whatever excuse they say. >_<"

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just be thankful it's not DOOM that you've gotta download.....43.8gig.....

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Seriously, they can only give you all or nothing in the initial install, and they decided all is better. End of story. You may not like how it is, but don't start going around making up stories.

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Not making up anything, that's just how I see it. If you don't like deal with it, thanks in advance.

9. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I can try to explain why we made this decision. The requirement that drove this decision was that we wanted new users to have a rich experience containing all the cars and tracks that ISI (and the 3PA program) has released. We also wanted to make sure that all this content was part of the initial download.

We looked at different ways to achieve this:

1) Pre-install all this contents in rFactor 2. This would have been the simplest solution, pretty much the same download size as we have now, but with the big disadvantage that you would not have been able to uninstall all the contents at all.

2) Include a package cache as part of the initial install and create workshop items for every car and track. Subscribe people to these when they run rFactor 2. This has the advantage that you can still uninstall contents that you do not like by unsubscribing to the workshop items.

3) Start with a "lite" install and upon the first run, subscribe to all workshop items and make the user wait for all of them to download and install. This was quickly discarded as the second download would have been a lot longer than the initial "lite" install and we did not want to make the user wait again after he first thought he was done.

So in the end we felt option #2 was the best compromise. I'm not claiming it is perfect, but I hope this explanation helps you understand (even though I don't expect every single community member to agree with it).

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Option 2 is by far the best option of those 3. Also 10 GB of initial download is still "lite" compared to other Steam games these days, for example GTA V is 60 GB and Assetto Corsa (no DLC included) is 15 GB. One Dirt Rally patch released some months ago was alone 10 GB.

11. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

I apologise in advance for the length but I find it easier to try and cover everything at once. If you want, you can skip to the numbered points below.
    If it wasn't for an accident that left me with a broken back and major nerve damage, I would never have found rF or rF2 and this site and it's community. What started as exercise for my injuries has brought me already some great mates, rock solid in fact,that I drive with regularly. It has also brought me an even greater appreciation for some of the icons in a sport I truly love. Anyway, enough about me, on to why I posted.

This started as a reply to post #8 by marrs but is directed at any ISI staff.

Could I try to explain why I think a Lite version makes more sense. To the wider CURRENT community, the lite install was the way to have exactly what you wanted and only that. If you didn't want experimental dirt, or street cars, or ANY content, you didn't have to have it consume any of your hard drive space. The Steam migration is already a point of concern in the community, and most understand that the move is inevitable and makes sense, but please don't make us install content we don't want.

If the workshop IS what ISI have tried to sell us on, then it makes no sense to have space taken up by content you will never use, especially for those that do not have a lot of hard drive space(an old concern with a new face in SSD's). And existing Steam users would/should already know what the workshop is about and if made clear at download that it is a lite install and point to the workshop for the content you would like to try, you would have new users on the road quicker. eg I want to try the Spark F3 at Longford as soon as I install. I download the lite install and the 2 packages I want and I am on the road. Then I can take the time to try other content at MY pace.
    The other benefit of this is it helps the poor brethren that do not have the best internet. They can spread downloads over time in their own priority. A personal example of this is, up until recently due to my location(rural Australia) my internet data quota per month was 8Gb. So effectively, I would not be able to use this until the cache is downloaded, which would annoy me a lot more than 2 separate download packages, 1 for install and 1 for vehicle/track packages.(I may be wrong about this as I haven't migrated yet, and stand corrected if I am wrong)
    An issue with your current way, is that as the ISI/3PA content library grows, so does the initial download for a new user; and for some a lot more space taken up with content they will never use.

Your concern with making people wait for a 2nd download, after they thought it was done I believe is unfounded. As stated earlier, a lite install would get people on track quicker as they would only need to get the content they want and drive.
    After a quick look at the Steam Workshop, and the majority(of course) is ISI content, with a few of the more respectable developers content. Apart from that, it is conversions of questionable quality(I think the term people have been using is Russian conversions) and basic straight rF1 conversions.

Stonec, you mention other games. Well this isn't other games. It doesn't matter how big the downloads are for these games. This is rFactor 2. A fully customisable and moddable platform. This should mean that if I don't want a vehicle then I shouldn't be forced to have it on my drives, in cache form or otherwise. Isn't this what the package system is all about. As for comparison to GTAV, well that is comparing apples to an all you can eat smorgasbord. GTAV is a map environment that is large and elaborate. rF2 only needs a strip of road and a car. For GTAV a bulk download is the only way. rFactor 2 worked absolutely perfectly with a Lite install and giving the user choice.

My own first thoughts on Steam migration were negative, however I can see some of the positives now. One being, hopefully, more developer information. I was happy to see Michael Borda's dev blog and if done properly will benefit the whole community with providing a basis to produce quality work.(BTW, thank you Michael for the reply in regards to the dev blog) However, I was not happy to see that the vehicle to match with this blog is Steam exclusive. Now I, along with many other people, are most likely waiting to see what the last non-Steam build is like before making the switch. So we either don't get this now, or rely on somebody who is on Steam to get this for us(which probably breaks Steams TOS). Unless you have an agreement with Steam, there is no reason why the original dev package could not be provided, so those waiting on migration can still follow the blog. And if there is an agreement then I feel that is wrong. As it stands now Steam users can access any other content either here or the many other sites that have rf2 downloads, but a non-Steam user cannot access the Brabham BT44B. And by the time the final build of this is out the full steam version will be available and those that do not update may not even be able to use all the features as items not compatible with the last non-Steam build may be added by then.

This whole Steam migration has not been sold well by ISI OR Steam. Connection issues after migration causing headaches for some. The clear instructions for migration that was not very clear. The first test of the workshop update system not working(Indy track update). Having a Steam exclusive release when your userbase is still fractured(Brabham dev). Even though you have tried to get people to use the workshop, the content there is still lacking and is still easily found here. This forum IS our workshop and has worked more than adequately.
    As stated earlier I am not on Steam, never wanted to be but I will be now to stay up to date with this wonderful sim. I can also see the benefits, but only if the community is sold on it.

Here would be some suggestions going forward.

1) Please reconsider this course and provide a Lite version. Even possibly, at build updates you could include a vehicle/track combo similar to the demo version. That way over time as each update is done a user's cache will slowly grow to the point that they will end up having all of the ISI/3PA cache. From what I understand, unlike the non-Steam version you cannot delete the cache like you could the packages folder but that should not mean that everything has to be there, even if there is no chance of it ever being loaded.

2) Until the Full Steam build is the current one, do not make anything Steam exclusive. It is a huge slap in the face to the community that have supported you all along.

3) If you want the Workshop to be populated by quality mods, provide the information needed by modders in a timely manner. The Dev Blog is a good start, but only if kept updated regularly. My suggestion would be to make a certain day "DevDay". eg Friday is DevDay so people look forward to reading the blog. It could be taken further, with a once a month Live chat with people on one of the social media platforms(I don't know, this may even be possible through Steam which could be used as another selling point.)

4) Through rumours, spotting things on the ISI Test servers and even the Track Team twitter feed we know of a bit of content that has been floating around for a while (historical licenses mentioned by staff, possible DW12 update, historical Indy content, Nissan SuperGT, Suzuka, Unnamed and strange named tracks on the matchmaker). ISI need to start pushing some of this content out. There are many talented members out there in the community, maybe you need to look at approaching some of them to help in this respect. I know there would be many details to sort out, but it doesn't even have to be monetary. And who knows, you may find a rare gem that you would consider worthy of working with the hard working group you have now.

5) Provide a basic road-map of where you want rF2 to progress. You don't need to provide timelines etc but to know where we are heading would be nice. In a recent thread the subject of soft body damage came up. From what I understand(and once again, correct me if I am wrong) early rF2 builds had this implemented but then was removed. It then went on to other items that may/may not have been planned not yet being implemented. If you gave a road-map explaining why certain items were not being implemented and what plans you are looking at, then you make the community feel inclusive. If at anytime something looks like not being possible then you explain why and, like in a previous point, you may find a rare gem that provides an answer to your problem.

So marrs, Tim, Michael, others.....thoughts?

12. stonec

stonec Registered

A lite install is not going to make a new user get on track any quicker. What will likely happen is the new user will load the game and note that there are no cars or tracks selectable. Since Steam workshop isn't really a popular concept yet, chances are high that he has never heard about it, so the consumer will end up wondering where the product is that he bought and probably go to spam isi support.

rF2 is a consumer product and it's competing exactly against those other games, in which you can include at least Automobilista and Assetto Corsa, both which are also moddable. Both provide the content in the default install and both require a larger initial download than rF2, which demonstrates that other companies reached the same and only sensible conclusion as ISI.

13. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

I like biscuits...my favourites are monte carlos

14. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Having seen the options, 1 and 3 would have been the better choices to go with.

Option 1 is the simplest. And people who know what they are doing will be able to delete and uninstall content they don't want. Of course, verifying steam cache will download it all again but those people will be familiar with dealing with that.

Option 2 is a bizarre middle ground resulting in us having to go out of our way to deselect workshop items, only to find we have already download them all in the cache regardless. At the moment, I can download a track, install it, and delete the original. That results in one copy on my disk. This approach now forces us to have 1 copy in the cache if not installed, and 2 copies if installed (cache and installation folder).

Option 3 is the only option that really provides choice and allows us to control disk space requirement.

rF2 isn't suddenly going to be user-friendly just because it's on Steam so there should be no fear about allowing experienced users carry on doing what they already do and have control.

15. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Can we remove "Steam" from the conversation ? I'm not sure how many people realize that realistically Valve/Steam does very little and has 0 effect on "selling" the migration. The migration and informing people is all on ISI. They can only change what's on their steam store page.

I had an idea to get a lite version via using the beta tab but after more thought that would still run the issue of multiple builds. It might provide easier to manage for ISI but I'm honestly not sure.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

marrs specifically made the point that option 1 would not allow uninstallation of any content, the same way as you can't uninstall the base content of AC/pCars/AMS.

Correct. Option 3 was tested internally, it was too slow to have user wait for hours after he thought he had downloaded the game, only to find out that he has to download another 10 GB after he launches the game.

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Option 3 would be bad only for the average user.. or maybe not even for the average user at all. As I said before I'd support this if rF2 was focused on the average user, but let's be honest everyone knows it isn't. So why make the worst part of it like this?
    That's where I see the problem, ISI is not being consistent IMO.
    But meh... waste of time, this won't change so be it. Let's just hope I won't have to go to limited internet and need to download this thing again -_-"

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Option 3 would have been IMO the best option without any kind of doubt.

When you just get a new game you simply want to try it. Having to wait for hours until the full download is done is quite annoying in fact. I understand that devs are used to fast internet services but there is still many people with less than 1MB/s which for 10GB means almost 3 hours.

It is also very unlikely that an average user wants to try all kind of cars and tracks all at once.

If the steam workshop is accesible, functional and easy to use as it is publicized where quality content (ISI and 3PA) is properly highlighted, I cannot understand so many fears of an average user not being able to properly use it, subscribing only to what he really wants to be updated automatically.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The demo already gives you an opportunity to try it, and rF2 is unlike many games in even offering a demo. So you can continue playing with the demo while the game itself downloads if you want, or you go to work/school/sleep while it downloads. I suspect this a neater option than getting the game, then selecting a couple of items to download, waiting for them to download, then playing those for a while, then downloading some others, waiting, etc. Then you try online, find a server that has stuff you don't have, and wait for it to download.

With the base content already downloaded it's much quicker to join an online server running base content.

Anyway, we can sit here hypothesizing all we want, they apparently tested the 3rd option internally and felt it didn't work, and they know not everyone will like any one option, so here we are.

*One final point: the 'average rF2 user' already has rF2, can educate themselves about the steam transition and time the download so it doesn't affect them at all. New users are more than likely steam users, where many modern games are much bigger and have no demo, so you're forced to just wait (for longer) after purchasing.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

"When you just get a new game you simply want to try it." - you have the Demo for that.
    "Having to wait for hours until the full download is done is quite annoying in fact." - As I've said before DOOM was 43.8gig, many games these days are massive in size so it's pretty much tough luck...10gig aint huge.

I agree with your last paragraph in some respects, tonight I was blessed with Steam Workshop downloading "something" when I went to play RF2, so I went through the folders and it was the Gasoline Alley mod...not being interested I had to pause the download - exit steam - unsubscribe from the mod - open steam and run RF2 again - slight annoyance of course but still an annoyance all the same.

I can understand why ISI chose Option 2, but personally I don't agree with it, a Lite install with big red signs pointing to the Workshop Items would've been easy enough for any computer newbie to understand, but it is the way it is...so you and I have to deal with it and get on and Race.....which is exactly what I did after that kerfuffle :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.