Recurrent NVIDIA Driver Crashes and Erratic GPU Usage

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ECAR_Tracks, May 9, 2016.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Really? Can't wait for it, keep us informed please! Thank you!

P.S. - And no i'm not using SLI, just a EVGA 780Ti SuperClocked

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Tjeerd F

Tjeerd F Registered

Anyone else experiencing stuttering after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

First noticed this issue when I tried the Insider Build for the Anniversary Update. After reverting to the Release version (pre-Anniverary update) everything was fine again.
    After the official update rolled out a week ago the issue is back. My framerate is above 120fps on most tracks but it's like I have microstuttering or something.
    I've tried reinstalling the game (Steam version) but that did not work. Drivers are up to date. Next step is to see if other games also suffer from the Anniversary Update. It's most noticable in rF2 though.

Hardware:

i7 6700K
    16GB DDR4
    Asus GTX 980 reference
    Z170 Deluxe motherboard
    ClubSport Pedals V3
    T300 RS + SLI Pro Display
    XL2420T 144hz monitor

3. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Just to highlight the stuttering thing there's nothing to with driver black screen crash. When I had 580 GTX I had heavy stuttering under some conditions but I've never got a single driver crash, so the problems are unrelated (wrong thread). I hope you find a workaround for your issue anyway.

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Can you try disabling all of your plugins and see if the problem goes away? Thanks

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Maybe they're related, stuttering has something to do with erratic GPU usage for sure...

6. Tjeerd F

Tjeerd F Registered

'

That didn't help unfortunetaly.

I uninstalled the nVidia driver with Display Driver Uninstaller en reinstalled it after that. That fixed the problem.
    Today I fire up rF2 and the problem is back. So guess it has something to do with the driver after all.

EDIT: Just noticed that a reboot also fixes the problem. Looks like I can only start rF2 once per Windows session without problems. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  7. stonec

stonec Registered

Have you tried running rF2 fullscreen instead of windowed/borderless mode?

8. nipzon

nipzon Registered

I have gone through all the "try this" settings, all of them and this micro stuttering still happenes randomly. It would run great, high fps and on whatever display settings I choose, then all of a sudden the fps drops to a stutter.
    AC or RRE found that dust generated from the side of the track when either putting a wheel on the dirt or when cutting a corner, generated lag and a drop in fps. I see the same happen when I cut a corner sometimes on certain tracks. Usually I can reset it with a FFB reset but not always.
    When this happens I check for temps from my motherboard and GPU card but they a normal.
    I think it might be worth having a look to see if that is the case.

9. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I and several people I know have the same issue. It happens most on ISI 60s Monaco and VirtuLM Le Mans circuits.

This issue has existed for a long time, I have repeatedly asked for help but to no avail. I have given up any hope that it will ever be fixed.

10. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I've been noticing that Windows transparency effects affects some DirectX applications somehow, even they're running in full-screen mode (go figure). Maybe choosing a solid colour scheme helps a bit https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/disable-transparency-windows-10/

Regardless to stuttering, going back to Nvidia Crashes stuff:

I've just run the third endurance race (8 hours) in a row with my Le Mans Bugatti track. I didn't change anything: same Nvidia driver, same rF2 building, same cars being used, W10, CPU with same clock, and the same infamous GTX 980.

What I changed: basically everything in my track. Reviewed all objects one per one, searching for trashy information on 3dsMax channel info, isolated vertices, unused smoothing groups, unused map verts, overlapping faces, night lights without respective glows, etc. I found many, many issues. After that, it looks like I fixed what was crashing my Nvidia Drivers 10 in 10 attempts to run in my own track.

In addition: other tracks as VLM Le Mans 1991-1996 keep crashing after few minutes. So, I can eliminate hardware variables.

Tonight I'll run the final test - 8 hours racing through night and raining, URD 30 cars (PX1, PX2 and EGT). If it succeeds, I can state the problem is solved. I know, every system is different. But it's a good prospect.

For the guys who are currently modelling their tracks: have a look in channel info, clean unused stuff, mainly VC, Illumination and Alpha of race-surfaces.

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

VC ?

12. Christopher Elliott

A quick note on this issue, a fix is currently being worked on. So please hang in there :)

13. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Vertex Colour channel. It should be exported in a clean state.

14. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Hello Christopher, which issue specifically you're relating to?

15. McFlex

McFlex Registered

On ISI side? That would be awesome. An a big thumb up for ECAR_Tracks for your hard work. You mabye solved the issue a lot of people have tried to fix

16. Christopher Elliott

I was referring to the Nvidia driver crash.

17. Yoko

Yoko Registered

:D

Really looking forward to this, thank you!
    Also, many thanks again to ECAR_Tracks for everything. I can just imagine the time you put into this issue including your track(s).
    You guys rock, i knew there is still hope.

18. Magus

Magus Registered

I really do hope a resolution is found between yourselves and the hard work ECAR has put in. To my dismay I've had a fair few races that have ended in the crashing of my drivers. Looking forward to hearing about the fix and actually testing it too.

19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

What about erratic GPU usage? Is it related? Those freezes and black screens?

Thank you so much ECAR, you're the best! For sure that was related with stuttering and erratic GPU usage right?

Cheers!

20. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Oi Rui,

Actually I didn't looked at EVGA Precision log tables yet, but I'll do it soon. I run yesterday a race with 30 AIs Nissan 370Z and they successfully finished another 8 hours race. Problem is I changed so many things that I can't say exactly what specifically fixed the Nvidia crashes and/or if it was a combination of things. Having a quick look in OS Nvidia info, it looks like the GPU usage is almost steady in 90-94%, much more like it happens to Assetto Corsa and Project Cars.

To discovery what exactly has produced this change in GPU behavior will be my second step after to publish my 1.00 version of track, since I cannot assure my fixes will work for every system using Nvidia cards.