T300rs FFB Vibration Noise Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrbobsacamano, May 7, 2016.

1. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

When driving some cars in rF2 I get a vibration noise on certain corners. I think the amount of forces is making the wheel make the noise but I'm not sure. I've uploaded a very short crappy video here https://youtu.be/OXsJuzBhx_A Ignore the squeak at the beginning that is my chair. At the 4 second mark you can hear the vibration noise. When this happens the pedal app is spiking a lot very fast but it's not clipping because it's not going red.

I don't know if this is how the wheel should behave I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage my wheel. In the video I am using the URD T5 mod at Hockenheim. This noise doesn't happen in every car and not every corner, it seems to happen when you have to turn the wheel past 90 degrees and sometimes as far as the wheel rotation can go. I am using 75% in the Thrustmaster profiler, 0.82 car ffb multi in game, 0 smoothing.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I don't get this noise in any other game so I want to know why it's making it. Please let me know what's causing this, if it's bad and if there is a fix for it. Also if you have a T300rs let me know if hear this noise too. And if you have a T300rs please share what settings you use as I can't get the FFB to feel as good as other games. The T300rs is a lot better than the Logitech wheels that I've used in the past but it's still not as good to me as other games. Thanks for the help.

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

With thrustmaster tx (which is basicly the same wheel) I got vibration noise with forces above certain level. In the video it sounds like your table might be amblifying the noise.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Also, before it comes up / is asked / gets assumed, 'vibration' isn't generated separately to other FFB forces. You're driving on a rumble strip at speed, that produces a fairly high frequency oscillating force at the tyre, wheel, steering arm, and therefore the steering wheel. If you want to avoid vibrations while still having a resistive force during cornering you could try increasing the FFB smoothing. This will introduce latency though, so not great for cornering feel.

It's also possible on some third party tracks the old rF1 (and other games) style artificial kerb vibration is overdone. Not much you can do about this as a user without editing the track files and repackaging (for offline use, basically).

It shouldn't be any concern regarding the wheel itself, the forces aren't that strong or last long enough to cause any issues.

rF2 will do this more than most other games because of the very high FFB update rate (generally a good thing). I just reread and saw you have smoothing on 0; setting a low value (I'll say up to 5 or so at a guess) will probably reduce this with little noticeable effect on fidelity or latency.

4. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

Do you get the vibration noise regardless of which car and track? I don't think it's having the ffb up too high as I'm not clipping. I am using a homemade wheel stand that isn't very stable so it's possible that the noise is louder because of it.

5. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

The thing is it happens even when I'm not going over the rumble strip. For whatever reason it's only when turning the wheel a pretty far distance, there is no noises when only turning less than 90 degrees. I read that using 0 smoothing is the best setting so I haven't tried upping it at all but I can play around with the smoothing level. I don't really care about the noise as long as it's supposed to be there and is not damaging my wheel. Thrustmaster only has a 1 year warranty in the US so I want to make sure I don't damage my wheel. Thanks for the help.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ah, ok. In the very short video it seemed to coincide with a rumble strip :)

In that case you can probably largely disregard what I've said about FFB and smoothing (though the FFB must be having *some* input, otherwise it would happen the same in every game), it might just be a quirk with that wheel. As you've said already your wheel base might be making it seem worse.

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I'm pretty sure the smoothing uses the old samples and compares it to the new one. It shouldn't buffer any samples and therefore doesn't introduce any additional latency.

8. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

Hopefully some other people with the T300rs can chime in if they get the same noise. I don't know if it's because of my settings or just an issue with rF2 and this wheel.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

With my tx the noise came before clipping. I'am pretty sure that it doesn't hurt the wheel, but usually i kept forces below the point where that noise came just to keep ffb smooth.

10. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

I'll try lowering FFB forces and try out some smoothing and update the thread. Probably won't be until tomorrow.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I have a tx and I don't get this issue but I do run a very low ffb mult. 0.5 to 0.7 depending on car, no smoothing.

12. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

Interesting, do you have the URD T5 mod? I know it happens with some other cars too but I was using the T5 yesterday so that's one that I am positive it happens with.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I do but haven't tried it in ages. I will give it a go this weekend to give some feed back for you.

14. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

Thanks, let me know what settings you're using if you can in the Thrustmaster profile and FFB in car and if you hear the vibration noise or not.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I don't have any sort of noise with mine except the obvious rumble strips & flat spots, FYI here's my settings:

Control Panel:
    Strength 60%
    Constant 100%
    Periodic 100%
    Spring 0%
    Damper 0%
    By the game ticked

In game:
    Smoothing 0 (as it should be with all belt wheels I'm lead to believe)
    FFB Multi 4.00

I don't remember Constant & Periodic being there in the previous Thrustmaster Drivers (recently updated to the new ones), so I may need to play around a bit, but anyway no problems my end with the above settings.

16. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

Do you use a FFB Multi of 4.00 for every car? That seems really high or does having the strength at 60% make that big of a difference?

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

eerr yeah not quite sure how I came to 4.00, reduced to 0.00 now and it feels a bit better but nothing drastic.

18. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

did you get ffb multi and ffb minumum mixed up?

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes sorry ffb minimum torque was 4.00!
    Multi I change per car

20. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

That makes more sense, I'm using 2 right now for minimum torque but I've tried out other values and not noticed much of a difference.