Perspective in slow corners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, May 6, 2016.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I have an issue with finding the limit and correct line in mainly slow, wide hairpins, (3 and 4 at Silverstone, for example) because when I am entering these turns I seem to loose all sense of grip and speed. I have to go below the limit in these corners because I will end up over driving and spinning if I don't.

With the exception of narrow tracks like Bathurst and Macau. I think the close walls and narrow track somehow improve my depth perception.

Anyway, Am I alone in this feeling, and how (already tried various FOV settings) can this be improved?

I think this type of corner is where that "seat of your pants" feeling comes in the most, and sims lack that severely.

Now in fast and long turns, I have all the feel in the world of what the car is doing through vision and FFB, but at slow speed that all goes away, and I almost have to just "guess".

It's hard to explain properly, but at these slower speeds, It almost feels like the car is not moving, and the world is moving underneath it (like driving on a treadmill)

2. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

It's well known that if you use any kind of 'natural' looking FOV - the kind most fast drivers use - then the perception of low speeds is underestimated. There's research on this showing you need a high FOV to correctly perceive low speeds. Obviously, most people don't do that because then everything looks distorted, fast speeds look ridiculous, and it's harder to detect rotation. It's one of the reasons sims are something different to real driving and have to be acclimatized to. And why a VR system will allow ordinary people and pro drivers who aren't acclimatized to this weird world to drive naturally straight away. But curiously, some people in these parts don't want that.

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I use 'roughly' correct FOV of 30 (should be more like 22-27 for my monitor/position).
    Tight corners are always really difficult because I can't usually see the apex/exit at turn in, because I don't have enough viewable area with a single 27" monitor.
    I have driven with correct FOV on a big 3-projector rig, where I could see maybe 160degree just by turning my head, and it felt a LOT more natural to be moving my head to see the apexes of slow corners, and i could actually take them with confidence and some speed. It's probably similar on a triple screen rig, but I've not tried that.

But yeah, single 27" monitor with 30deg FOV... no good for those fiddly corners at Silverstone, or the last corner at Longford.

Is there such a thing as 'speed-sensitive FOV'? Wider at lower speeds. It would probably make me sick, but it would be interesting to see.

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Have to say, I just tried AC for the first time in a while, and I did not have the same issue at low speeds. So apparently it's an rF2 thing (for me). In AC I have good perception at all speeds. And boy, I thought the rF2 graphics had gotten good... :p

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe a plugin could be made to recreate the tunnel vision that happen when (in real world) you go pretty fast and your focus is very far ahead of you, then as you slow down you don't need to focus your vision so far, so your fov increase. I think this could induce motion sickness, but maybe it could be fun..... maybe.
    I use around 35° FOV and TIR to mitigate my 22" monitor, in this way I can always see the apex, but for sure, in slow turn the speed feeling is offset, and induce overspeeding errors.

6. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Have you considered use a head tracker such as facetracknoir?
    I can't afford the rig or the space for a 3 monitor system so this provides a free way to look to the apex on any corner, requires nothing silly on your head and has improved my driving and enjoyment no end. In addition, naturally, you drive where you look in real life so this is actually more natural. As you can now look around you and to your mirrors you can adjust the fov to a more natural angle.

7. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Do you use triple screens? If you use normal 5760x1080 mode in other sims, speeds will feel faster compared to rf2 multiview with realistic settings.

8. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I use a single 46 inch screen. I have wanted to try a triple, because you tend to get a much wider view that way. Just am not able currently.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

OK. Could the problem be not seeing the ground close to you. Try moving camera up and maybe tilting it down.