Changing to Steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, May 5, 2016.

1. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

When rF2 came out, I obviously bought the normal version as it wasn't on steam.

But now as the latest build was announced to be the last not on steam, I am going to have to make the switch.

How do I do this without having to repay the money...

Also, when I stream, I have to use two rF2 directories, one to host the session, and the other to join online so I can stream, if I do that all in one directory, the GRTVPlugin will cause the server to crash. Obviously I have to close the launcher in the hosting directory so I can run the streaming one. Will this still be possible with Steam?

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

3. jackvee

jackvee Registered

So far no one has responded to any of my post on this question from any of the 6 places I have asked! I have converted my Rfactor 2 licence to the Steam one. Steam want me to download a new copy. How do I get steam to recognise my existing rFactor 2 install? It will only ad to my Steam library as a non Steam game. I DO NOT WANT A NEW INSTALL. I want my exsting insatll. Can anyone PLEASE Help me? Thank You in advance. BTW The link that everone keeps posting that is supposed to have instructions on how to change to steam is only a link to convert rfactor licence without any instructions on how to do it.

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Afaik you need to install the new steam copy. You can keep the non steam installed. After the install you can copy your packages and user data folder from your non steam into steam install. After that you have to install the mods again in steam copy (just like you used to in the non steam)

After copying and installing your steam should be again like the non steam you had. Now if you wish you can delete your old non steam rf2 folders.

Hope this helps and was the answer you where looking for

5. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Yep you've gotta redownload it whether you want to or not because the file system is mostly the same but there are some differences. There are extra files and folders that help Steam verify content hasn't been corrupted and allows it to be fixed easily if it does get corrupted.

Like Eddy said, you can copy your UserData folder and Packages folder over into the Steam version after it's completed downloading and reinstall packages the old fashioned way.

6. hamiltonfan2205

If this is the case then I guess GRTVPlugin need to do something about how using the plugin causes an online game to crash.

7. hamiltonfan2205

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If by hosting you mean running a server, just use the dedi directly. You can do that with steam also, and use your actual steam game to join. That's all in the steam threads in the News forum.

9. hamiltonfan2205

The thing is I do need to use a different install cos if I install GRTVPlugin in the install where I run the server, the server crashes.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So run a different install. As I said, people have already talked about how to do this in the steam threads.

11. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hi all.

Just found out about this "Steam-only" move this morning. I have Steam already and hate it. I had to install it for pCARS. The combination of that overly-hyped game and the hoops I need to jump through to use Steam makes for a bad experience. Every single time I launch pCARS (not very often as it sucks), Steam asks for my online password, connects to their servers and proceeds to hold me up for 45 minutes while loads of crap are updated. Mind you, I have it set to "offline" but that means nothing to Steam.

Questions:

- Once I convert my license to Steam, can I still use my stand-alone, lifetime version I have today?

- Can I run rF2-Steam in offline mode? If yes, for how long before Steam needs to get a new 'ok to use' token?

- I have modified cars that I have tweaked in garage and then attached those settings to individual tracks to be loaded by default. How can I carry these settings to the Steam version and make it work as it does today without having to start all over?

- Today, I can search for and download mods to my main PC which I then copy to my game PC over the network. When I get to my game PC, the mod is already there and I don't have to wait for the download. Will there be a way of doing this with the Steam version?

- On standalone versions, content like cars and tracks are made available on this website. Will that continue in the future or will content also be moved exclusively to Steam? I ask for the reason above.

Frankly, I can't see a single advantage for users to have to be on Steam vs what we have now. I imagine Steam has the money collecting part figured out and that would be good for ISI. But for anyone like myself on the lifetime license, that's of no help.

Not that I like to be lied to but I would have suggested you had renamed the version of rF2 that went into Steam to something else like rF2S so it would be considered a new/different product. That way you can let us standalone people down easy, give us some timeline (~6 months) for when rF2 would be deprecated and give us a "free move to Steam" offer. Instead, we're seeing the product we paid for immediately cut off from support with nearly zero transition time.

JR

PS: found this thread answering most of my questions: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/28823-Information-regarding-rFactor-2-Steam-(FAQ

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

My steam version of rF2 is like this:

Open Steam, open rF2 launcher, press play..... same as before!!

13. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Thanks. Can I find the launcher within the Steam folders and "press play" from there without Steam in the middle?

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

No

15. Depco

Depco Registered

Once the steam version is installed it will place an icon on your desktop. If it does not you can do this manually. You can then click on that icon to start rF2.

Steam will still connect but you should not have to wait bery long.

Also, why should you have to log in every time you run steam? Presumably you must not let it run in the background?

16. stonec

stonec Registered

You can run the old stand-alone version offline I believe, but you can't log in to race online with it anymore.

You can run Steam offline, but rF2 matchmaker will not work then as it's using the Steam matchmaker, so multiplayer will be difficult.

I guess you can copy-paste your old UserData/player/Settings folder to Steam install, that should carry over most personalized stuff.

Steam version relies on Steam workshop where you can find all ISI content and other mods, Steam auto-installs new workshop items if you are subscribed to them.

17. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hi.
    That's correct, I don't leave it running in the background or save my password on the app. I don't want it doing things unbeknownst to me.

If I may borrow the thread, I "converted" a few mins ago and here's my experience on that:

- There's no "conversion" per se. You go to the webpage listed in the FAQ (above) and they send you a Steam key that opens rF2
    - The local copy of rF2 remains intact as you don't take anything away from it (for lifetime licenses, at least)
    - You can copy your Installed folder content (cars, locations, etc), your user data, plugins and the like and the new Steam copy will be as your local copy. I did this before rF2 Steam had been installed, not sure if that makes any difference.
    - If you don't save your Steam password like I do, you will have to type it in every time you want to run rF2. Same behavior as running rF2 online but with the Steam password.

Other than that, I didn't notice any performance degradation or extraneous stuff.

Thanks all for your help.
    JR

18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I noticed a lot of extraneous stuff - hours waiting for it to download many ovals and stock cars that I will never drive, they simply don't interest me.