how do you approach single player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, May 4, 2016.

1. Rapala

Rapala Registered

If you're anything like me you probably find the prospect of loading RF2 and just picking a car / track and doing a random race less than appealing. I always need some sort of goal to feel motivated and inspired. Of course, championships are the traditional way to achieve this, but I'm wondering if you guys have different methods of achieving the goal / motivational feeling? Here's what I've been doing recently which is working out quite well.

Mini career:

starting in the clio pre-choose 4 tracks and find a pace that makes you just slightly faster than the fastest AI. Now do each race with just 6-7 AI and start from the back in a 15 minute race. then assign points 5 for 1st, 4 for 2nd etc down to 1 for 5th and record the result. The goal is to achieve 12 points for that series. Why so few cars? Well I found it's just too tough an ask to climb to 1st place from the back with more than 10 cars. Of course you could just qualify but I prefer trying to overtake the field, that's where the fun is in single player for me.

Once you've completed that then move on to the next mod. Obviously it's up to you how many races per mod and length of race you want to do. eg I did a 'road cars' series where I used a different corvette per track.

Keep going up the mod tree until you reach the ultimate tin-top pinnacle - LMP cars, then you could start with an open-wheeler career or redo the career on a harder setting.

The advantage of this method over championships is that you get a lot of variety and eliminate a major headache which is keeping AI drivers consistent from race to race. So that's my simple way of doing single-player, do you guys do anything other than the standard championships? Would love to hear about it.

2. Emery

Emery Registered

I do 20 minute races, minimum, and for more realism, an occasional 45-60 minute race. Don't use championships, rather I use the AI races to learn more about the car's capability and challenge myself with driving in traffic and/or weather. Sometimes it is the AI that is the challenge (that is, getting them to complete a race and/or be a worthwhile opponent on that track) and sometimes the challenge is to get me to finish the race (finding safe passes or avoiding excessive tire wear or just staying on the track).

3. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I don't really play that often but when I do I prefer the shorter tracks because they're easier to learn. I also stick with the Clio, Civic or 370z because they're easier to drive. I should also mention I can't be bothered to make setups as that takes too much time. I do 30 minute races, usually with random time of day, no rain. Since I don't make setups I get into a practice session and figure out how fast I am compared to the AI and tweak their strength as necessary then qualify. I try to make it so I'll qualify somewhere mid-pack. Once that's done I'm off to the race. Usually the track is my flavor of the month so to speak. Since the game only has single cars instead of real series setting up a championship doesn't really interest me.

4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Heh. I always just take practice and drive. Sometimes I try to compete with AI's lap times, but usually I just drive for fun.

5. GregT

GregT Registered

Here's what I've been doing recently which is working out quite well, for me. Take say a megane, go to almost any track, like mt panarama and then I make my competition a couple ice cream trucks (boxmasters) some quad racers, a few carts, maybe a couple indy cars oh and always like to see Senna and Prost running around. What a blast. I find myself just laughing out loud after a few laps. It really will improve reflexes tho. Just for fun also, have you ever, accidentally pushed anybody off the top of the mountain on the big left hander @ Leintz? that makes for some cool replays from different cameras. Just havin fun with rf2 cause we can.

6. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Hey thanks for the tip! I've never approached multi-class racing from that angle :D