After steam install?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Arctic37, May 3, 2016.

1. Arctic37

Arctic37 Registered

Just a couple of questions really.

1. Is it possible to transfer car setups from my original RF2 install into the Steam version? If so, where and what is the folder name in the Steam install?
    2. Why doesn't my name show up when I'm in multi-player mode, but it does in single player mode? The only thing that shows up in multi-player is "your nickname".

Thanks.

2. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

1. Copy and paste the UserData/player/Settings folder from the non-Steam install to the Steam install. This is where all your setups are at.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Some multiplayer-server force to show up the real name as in singelplayer, some dont.
    YOu´ve just no nickname assigned. Search forum how to change that. I think it´s enough to change nickname
    in Multiplayer.JSON that you find in Player-folder, but don´t quote me on that...

4. Arctic37

Arctic37 Registered

Thank you.

5. Jaromir Bergmann

Jaromir Bergmann Registered

OT: my 1year rF2 non-steam purchase expires in few weeks, what exactly happens after that? not able to play neither online nor offline? not able to dwnload official ISI content? not able to install any new car/tracks? thanks

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have a look at the Steam FAQ linked at the top of forum.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The link is perhaps more specific to the changes regarding steam, so in addition to that:

You'd just lose your online access. You could still play as much as you wanted, and you could install new cars and tracks just like now. (in the launcher, the multiplayer button wouldn't work anymore. The rest would stay the same).

You could also install new builds, but bearing that link in mind, you'll only get one more build.

8. Hmatty

Hmatty Registered

I have problem after switch one subscription expired( shouldn't have) two I cant get to offline it keeps stopping

9. buzard

buzard Registered

After transferring from ISI to Steam I have run into some problems. Transfer and download seemed to go ok. Whenever I exited rF2 I could never restart it. I kept getting a "app is already running" error. Went into task manager and stopped all rfactor and steam apps and services. That did not work so I rebooted. Checked here and found FAQ that said to verify game cache. Did that rebooted, ran rF2, exited program waited 10 minutes could not restart "app still running". After that even if I reboot rF2 will not start at all, although it says "running" on the library page.

So I guess next step is to "delete local files". And then try to re d/l . After deleting via Steam what if any files should I manually delete?

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Can you try checking "auto close launcher" in the cog screen of the launcher.

11. buzard

buzard Registered

I did click auto close launcher. Now I do not get a launcher at all. On the library page it says rF2 is running, but it never starts. I also can not shut down Steam because "rF2 is running". I have to start task manager a stop launch rfactor.exe *32 manually. It was suggested to delete the appcache folder from the steam directory and reboot. But nothing changed. I've got a thread for this over at Steam now. So we can let them work it out. Thanks again for the screen shots workshop settings. I get the feeling for whatever reason the Steam version of rF2 is not compatible with my computer.

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Can you post your computer specs? Unsure why it would be a computer performance thing.

So you start steam and star rfactor 2 launcher.
    You go into rfactor 2 then come back out
    Is the launcher still there?
    Is the process still running? (Launch rFactor.exe / rfactor2.exe?)

Where on your computer is rfactor 2 stored?
    Tried running launcher as admin?

13. buzard

buzard Registered

I deleted everything old and new and reinstalled. Everything is in the Steam directory. When I click play on library menu I get the small gray square "starting rfactor 2" then nothing. Rfactor2 is listed as "running" on the library page but nothing ever appears. I did find something interesting. Shut down computer, start computer, start Steam, open explorer and go to program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\rfacto2\bin32 and click on rfactor mod mode.exe and it starts. I get the gray screen (launcher) with the house, box, online, single player,dev mode..etc and can launch and play. quit rF2 and go back to the gray screen, exit and library shows rFactor 2 (no "running"). But it won't work a second time. have to shut down and start over, reset does not do the job. Been deleting appcache and verifying files about 5 times a day.

I've got over 30 games on Steam. Only one I had issues with was project cars. Every update you had to delete your user file. I just checked my archives, I have rFactor 2 files going back to rf2up_b49_b60_not50.exe 2/17/2012. Most of the time I can work this stuff out. But I seem to be the only one with this issue. rF2 was running fine until I switched to Steam.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  14. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

I assume that is a typo in your post? (in bold)

Also, are you running any type of anti-virus that might be blocking rF2 from opening?

15. buzard

buzard Registered

Avast free AV. Tried shutting it off several times it did not make any difference. It has not interfered with Steam on any other games, or with rF2 before I switched it to Steam.

program files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\rfactor 2\bin32\rfactor2 mod mode.exe .

16. Hmatty

Hmatty Registered

ok next thing help. recently went to steam ironing out issues as I go. At first I could not get rfactor2 to stop running I saw a post saying check force 32 bit and it will stop running yea it worked. Now if I uncheck force 32bit I get a message that says I can only start the game with rfactor launcher application, isn't that what I am doing?? HELP

17. buzard

buzard Registered

Permanently disabled AV, Installed latest video drivers. rF2 still will only start after shutting computer down and restarting. It's a one shot deal, exit rF2 and it will not run again even though it is listed as running on the library screen. Tried forcing 32 bit, still no difference.

18. Christopher Elliott

This happens when Force 32bit is unchecked and you Click on the Single race helmet button?

19. Christopher Elliott

Just to be sure, when you check Task Manager nothing rFactor 2 related is running, MAS2.exe, Launcher.exe, Mod Manager etc?

20. Hmatty

Hmatty Registered

yes Chris and if I try to join a server in multi player I get same message.