Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've been downloading all sorts on steam tonight without any issues, as well as playing, wonder if it could be location specific.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Ok well contact Valve next time, this is something Steam related on your end :)

3. TJones

TJones Registered

I had a quite similar problem with Steam a few month back.
    Mostly after a Steam update, i needed two-three try's to connect. But this doesn't occur anymore, since about two-three month.

4. philman

philman Registered

I have activated my RF2 license on steam and all is working fine.
    I did not erase my old RF2 installation. It works very well but I lost the balance of my on-line subscription (which is normal I suppose).
    Will my old installation continue to work and will it be possible to update it from the steam installation?

5. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Continue to work in what capacity ? Luckily I was able to boot up offline mode with my non Steam install to get a setting to fix a plugin. Not sure if this intended behavior after transferring but I don't think it is.

No to your last question as well, they use different .exe files to launch the game so you can't just do a copy paste of the whole directory. I'm sure if we keep taking about it though ISI will impose security checks to ensure it's impossible. Once you move to Stream your on it, no double dipping except I guess with Dedi servers, I'm still fuzzy on that but it doesn't apply to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7

6. vitto

vitto Registered

I converted my license out of steam, now rf2 launcher and game shows the name of my email, while in non-steam version appeared my nickname that I have in the forum, I tried to replace it in json player but it does not work, there another way?

7. Christopher Elliott

Your nickname will always be your persona name that you have chosen on steam. You can edit your "real name" however in the launcher. Click on your name in the top right of the launcher.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There seems to be an issue somewhere; last night I subscribed to one extra Mod on my Laptop (after downloading the same as what is on my Main PC), now today I turn on my Main PC and it's downloading Mods from the workshop that I had previously unsubscribed from :confused: So I've had to go through and unsubscribe them again!
    Appears to be a hic-cup in the system when there's two PCs involved (one account), if it's gonna do this every time that's gonna be a major PITA.

Not blaming ISI at all as it's obviously a Steam issue, just posting "for the record" in case it happens to others.

9. vitto

vitto Registered

thanks! Cristopher

10. Jego

Jego Registered

Yesterday night, one lap before finishing a 1 hour online race (which I was leading :eek: ), rFactor 2 just closed itself and I had a steam disconnected from the network message on the desktop.

I know about this pheromone from Steam, they have Server Maintenance every Tuesday at around 11pm (CET), did not think about it tho when I signed up for that race.
    Also I am surprised, that it would just close rFactor. After all the servers are not connected to Steam as in other games. I know from two other guys in that race yesterday who were connected via steam, they had no issues however.

My question now is if this is an expected result from the steam maintenance? Was I just very very unlucky that rfactor shut itself down due to the disconnect or should we spread the word and inform people not to have big league races on Tuesday night (at least in Central Europe its Tuesday night 11pm).

11. porks

porks Registered

Please could someone help me. I have asked for a Steam key but I have not received an email with the details so I can transfer it across. I have a league race on Saturday so this is important. Thank you for your assistance.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

We are also very interested about this topic since our touring league celebrates its races every two Tuesdays.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

13. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

That sounds like your network connection went down, causing rFactor to disconnect and the Steam client reporting the loss of network. We do not shut down either a dedicated server or a client. There is not even a mechanism to do that in the code.

So to firmly answer your question, no, what happened to you is not caused by a Steam maintenance window at all. It was your network connection that dropped.

14. Jego

Jego Registered

My network connection did not go down. Only Steam disconnected and it does that sometimes on Tuesday night as I said already.
    Google: Steam disconnect Tuesday night... It's a known thing, and causes issues with games that use the steam network to host online loobies...some games handle the disconnects better then others. There was a huge thread at the pcars forums about this problem for example, they seem to have it fixed now tho.
    That's why I was asking, but if you say rfactor should stay connected to the server even if Steam Disconnects I am glad, and my issue might have been bad luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nope, nothing on my end. Maybe on steam`s end, could be the case. By the way, other steam user got similar experiences with steam network off problems. I`m not alone ;-)

16. Christopher Elliott

As I said, this is a Steam issue, that was not an rFactor 2 specific issue. So contact Valve Support if you have issues connecting to Steam.

17. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I think it's bad luck, indeed.

Even on Steam, all we use is the Steam matchmaker. So if that part of Steam would ever go down, you would not be able to see the list of servers. In that case, if you have a league race, knowing the hostname or IP address of the server would still allow you to directly connect and it probably makes sense for leagues to publish that to their participants. Once you connect to a server (via the Steam matchmaker) you setup a direct connection between the client and server. There is no Steam service in between, so if Steam goes down, that has no influence on that connection.

18. TVR_Guy

TVR_Guy Registered

I purchased and registered rFactor 2 a number of years ago. Since then my email address has changed from my original registration.
    How do I go about getting a registration key to migrate to Steam?

Thanks.

19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

1st get a hold of Tim to change email address, then you can convert to steam, the link to Steam Transfer is somewhere on the 1st page of thread.

20. argo0

argo0 Registered

I've installed rf2 on steam. What can I safely copy over from my old install? User data? Player and controller files?
    Appreciate any guidance, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.