Things that RF2 should steal from Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by GCCRacer, Apr 28, 2016.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi all,

I admit I strayed... and I like the new playmate. While AC doesn't provide all the great options and customizing we have in RF2, it does a few things very clever, very well. Here in no particular order:

1) Replays which are stored in memory and can be watched, saved any time during race.
    As a SSD user I dislike the fact that RF2 writes large chunks of data to my disk for replays I might never even watch. Storing them in RAM (with 64bit there's plenty left) and only writing them if the player wants to would be an improvement.

2) Pitstop animations
    AC's Pitstop animations work for all cars, mods or stock. They simple take the axle position, put a guy there with a power tool, put a spare tire there (taken from the car files) and have him swap it. That is a really clever way of spicing things up visually without causing overhead for modders.

3) "Director" camera that changes automatically between views (external-internal), and a lot more in-car views.

4) Minimalistic but serviceable in-game telemetry for driving improvements (last lap, best lap and comparison with someone else's lap). Yes we have the (somewhat illegal) MOTEC plugin, but that requires a lot more knowledge and setup effort.

5) Mouse-over explanations for all car setup options.

6) Huge selection of "apps" with stock game that do much more than our HUD can.

7) Possibility to use the mouse on screen during race, for controlling apps. We have "apps" in game as plugins, but you can't use the mouse to click any buttons.

8) Neat little details like the fact that your pit lane stand, box area, service crew can be skinned and are visible on-track.

9) Off-Track GUI is just beautiful and works brilliantly. Ability to tag cars, find opponent cars by similar class etc. Ability to set up specific grids pre-race (which remain unchanged for reload of the game). Easy and quick way to change/preview skins, beautiful showroom implementation.

All these features (except maybe a GUI rework) would seem to be possible for RF2. What AC lacks in "racing depth" they sure make up in presentation.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

3) Already possible (rf2autocam).
    8) Supported (but only if modder wants to make that effort).

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If ISI add pit animations (I'm a big supporfer of this) I just hope they'll do it properly and with options to have it visible from all cars especially in online races, the way AC did is so bad that not having it would end up being the same thing IMO.

4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi Woodee, I had a quick look and not sure if Autocam is the same. Doesn't appear confirmed working in replays, and doesn't seem to use internal cameras (of which there aren't enough in RF2, but that's a mod issue also...)

AC "Director" view is basically like TV Cam Cycle, just that it cycles trough ALL available car cameras randomly (or maybe with some intelligence).

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Autocam does that. It has probability of whether to select onboard cams for overtakes, or close cars. Turned on and off with a hotkey and the ability to miss out cars sitting in the pits or those that DNF.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Can already be done at least partially:

"Record To Memory":false,
    "Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)",

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

^That is pretty cool, thanks for pointing it out!

Edit: Tried it, it will still in any case write files to disk. And it's not possible to replay fully during the race, or immediatly afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2016
  8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Found two more things:

10) More options for cockpits: For example delta to your best lap (in realtime +/- seconds) on the steering wheel or dashboard, of course also laptimer. Yes RF2 has plugins for that, but I'm not aware of any car that for example has the Delta.

11) I know this is subjective, very dependend on business model, budget, licensing etc but: While AC has the same problem as RF in that there are no varied series available in the stock game (different manufacturer racing series I mean, except maybe GT3 where you have a pretty diverse field) the cars that they DO have are just... mouthwatering. Ford GT40, McLaren F1 GTR... Lotus 72, 49, 98T... P4/5 Competizione, Mercedes-Sauber C9, KTM X-Bow versus Lotus 2-Eleven GT4... I'm not a fan of their road cars but they sure have some very classic race cars and track-day cars licensed. RF2 has a higher amount of quality mod content but can't quite catch up here.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

> 4) Minimalistic but serviceable in-game telemetry for driving improvements (last lap, best lap and comparison with someone else's lap).

I thought that was already in the basic rF2 HUD?

10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I might have missed it, but wouldn't know where to look? AC does telemetry for Personal Best Lap (stored permanently) vs Last Lap and also allows to overlay a lap imported from a friend (or driven by AI which I find very useful to set a goal line). Showing Speed, Throttle, Brakes, Gear normalized over distance. I'm missing a bit the steering input graph and the ability to zoom in on a certain corner, but what is present is pretty useful to find out where you are losing time versus a faster lap or other driver. If you ever ran Ferrari Virtual Academy then you are familar with the feature.

Oh, and one more

12) Ability to set TC and ABS enabled only for cars that really have it.

That one means you can drive with various levels of "assists" for example in a GT3 car, but they will automatically be disabled if you move to a Formula One car (unless it happens to be the Ferrari 2002 which had TC in real life...). That way I don't have to worry if TC or ABS are realistic/not realistic to use because the game only allows me to use what is available on the real life car.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

AMS (based on rF1) has this.

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I just need my driver to reach to the gearshift on manual cars. Even 18-year-old GPL does animate this lol. When driving It doesn't really matter, but it's kind of annoying in replays to hear the car shift, but the driver's hands never leave the wheel.

13. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

#12 seems to be in the work, because you can already see the settings in the garage options. Let's hope they complete this feature... soon. [emoji6]

14. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

If I remember correctly the flat6 mod doesn't have abs....you can block the tyres with abs "on"

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, you can make aids basically do nothing or severely punish (weight gain) for them, but that's not quite the same as being clear on which cars can (should) use it and which can't, for the end user.

16. mihaiplesnecute

mihaiplesnecute Registered

hi. telemetry is possible with motec i2 standard or pro version. link: http://www.motec.com/i2/i2downloads/. is not a hud telemetry, is a real tool for tuning the setup of the car. you have to setup some files in rfactor2 and motec i2 but i can't remember how... instruction (to make it work) you will find on forums and web. motec i2 v 1.1 is a free tool. enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017