Triple screen help

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Ruben Miranda, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello gents
    I need help I have watched vids and read all ki 's of stuff but I am still a little confused
    I have wanted to go triple screen for years and now is my chance.

By tomorrow I will have 3 lg 24" monitors.

My comp specs
    MB MSI Z77 Mpower
    Men 16 gig
    2 amd 7850 in crossfire
    Don't know what other info you need but

Can I get some info on the how and what I need to hook up the 3 monitors.
    Do I need a pasive adaptor?
    What cables if any will i need ?
    Will I need a switch bow or something.

Also I have seen some setups where the monitors are straight in line or flat, but I have also seen
    Some where the 2 end ones are angled in is there a
    What is the difference or what is better.
    Is there a degree number for the angle or is it fly by wife sort of speak.

Thanks in advance
    Ruben.

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Don't think you need any adapters or switchboxes other than the normal cabling between your cards and the monitors. Get it working with Windows first in a seamless desktop with no bezel adjustment.

In rF2, you have two choices. The single-monitor approach, which treats all three monitors as a single super-wide monitor with no angle adjustment to worry about, and multiview, which calculates 3 cameras (one for each monitor) that may or may not be angled. With multiview, once you're in the game, you press "Ctrl =" to dial in the monitor angle and field of view and bezel adjustment.

3. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Thanks emery
    I am about to start hooking things up.
    Wish me luck.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

4. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Ok tried without any connectors but only 2 monitors would work, would not recognise the 3 rd for nothing.
    Went to ati site community forum and watched a.vid and they also said I needed a active connector for the 3 rd monitor. In my case it was a display port to dvi active adaptor.
    Actve is the key word on this, first went and got the adaptor but it was passive and it did nothing.
    Went back and made sure it was active and everything worked.

Have some settings to do
    And will have some questions.

Will post some pics and a vid when done.

Ruben

5. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Ok tried without any connectors but only 2 monitors would work, would not recognise the 3 rd for nothing.
    Went to ati site community forum and watched a.vid and they also said I needed a active connector for the 3 rd monitor. In my case it was a display port to dvi active adaptor.
    Actve is the key word on this, first went and got the adaptor but it was passive and it did nothing.
    Went back and made sure it was active and everything worked.

Have some settings to do
    And will have some questions.

Will post some pics and a vid when done.

Ruben

6. Led566

Led566 Registered

Is multiview mode still having a big impact on fps as was in the past?
    I'm going back to triple (3 1280x1024) from videoprojector (FullHD) this weekend and I hope my 7950 will cope with the increased resolution (it will be 4000*1024 with bezel correction).
    I think I need multiview in order to have the lateral monitors correctly angled (function of viewing distance - my laterals should be at 30° from the central one).

7. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hi
    I have not checked fps and multiview, at first it would not let me click multiview in the config file
    So it would not activate the side moniters but then I set borderless and the side monitors worked.
    So I did a few,laps and did some for adjustments and it looked good, so then I thought I would try multiveiw again and it let me activate it but then when I did go race\on track 83rd crashed.
    Not sure the cause if it is borderless setting and multiview caused the problem.
    I will do some more testing when I get home from work.
    Right now with very little settings and borderless 10 cars around me there was no stuttering and was really smooth.
    I will know more later today

Ruben

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Quick test with Longford:
    Paddock... 57 fps with multiview vs. 73 without (78%)
    Before RR bridge... 51 fps with multiview vs. 55 without (92%)
    Pub corner... 63 fps with multiview vs. 78 without (81%)

9. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hi
    Yes that is a heavy impaxct on fps
    But i guess the question is
    Is it smooth or jerky ir laggy
    Was only you in track or ai to

You can try ocing your vid card a little that might help
    And turn a few settings down
    I know shadows takes a lot of power.

Ruben

10. Emery

Emery Registered

It's smooth for me, but I have an NVidia 970 using GPU sync (significantly less lag than Vsync). Only myself on track. The test was a demonstration for Led566 of how much impact can be expected with multiview... I'm fine using the 970 in this sub-optimal configuration until the next generation GPUs come along, though I can understand not everyone would cope well.

11. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Hi Ruben, I run two 770's with 3 BENQ 2720z monitors in 3d. I keep most items at medium to high detail, multiview on, hdr on, shadows at optimal seems to look great and does not kill fps. Road and environment reflections are off, I cannont see much difference with them on and their use is heavy. AA is also set at zero with no sync at all, again AA takes more fps than I feel its worth. The multiview fps loss does not seem to be so great with those settings, about 10%, but that fps loss is well worth the benefit. Overall in 3d, it feels very lag free with between 80 and 130 fps per eye and maybe its a 3d thing but I will never see the screen tear. In 2d the scaling for sli was not quite as good, might get 160 fps 2d if 3d is getting 100 each eye (1 770 would get 100fps in 2d here also), but still not bad.

With those monitors each one is in dvi and it works the same every time. A friend of mine bought the cheaper BENQ 120 Hz and needed to use the display port with a 970 and had similar problems with only 2 monitors showing up and having to configure surround everytime windows loaded. He bought 3 2420z to fix the problem. Hopefully you can get yours working well because it is very nice when you find settings that work.

12. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hi natureboy
    Thanks for the settings help
    I will give them a try
    Work keep getting in the way of finishing and getting everything dialed in.

Ruben

13. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Got everything setup and working
    Still have to adjust the side monitors out a little for sure the left one lol that will teach me to eye ball it lmao.

? When I set multiview it works but I get 2 sets of mirrors,
    Don't know why I am in cockpit view it shows mirrors in the front monitor and another in the left and right, I like and need mirrors but not that many lol
    Right now I am just doing borderless it looks a little stretched but that might be a red thing.
    I don't know the difference between
    Window
    Borderless
    Full screen

Fulscreen the side monitors don't work ?
    Borderless works great a little stretched
    Window don't know
    Multiveiw gives me multi mirrors lol

Ruben

14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

The best explanation I found for borderless,

"There's actually some significant under the hood differences between the two modes, each with their own advantages. Borderless Window is effectively just Windowed mode with the borders expanded to cover everything. Fullscreen is supposed to give maximum FPS, since windows dedicates more resources to fullscreen apps and the application has full control of the screen output."

I game jumps to Desktop and you're running borderless you may be able to get ingame again without any major problem. Running fullscreens you may not be able to... I can't back to game when it happens in W10 :(.

Multi mirrors is always good :p eheh.

I'm not running eyefinity since I moved to 780Ti... Back to HD5870 that I used some time ago, I had a monitor with Displayport to avoid passive adapters, right now I don't know how it works...

;)

15. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Are the screens setup with eyefinity, or just set to span the desktop? If it's not eyefinity this could be the problem, would explain why full screen does not work and might fix mirrors too.

16. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Yes screens are setup with infinity
    Have to admit i have not tried fullscreen since i tried it the first . but i will give it a go again this eve when i get home.
    So the settins should be
    Fulscreen + multiview yes.

Thanks gents
    Ruben

17. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello gents
    Ok here is the view. With
    Full screen and multiview set
    View attachment 19862

And this is fullscreen and borderless I see no diffrence in these views.
    View attachment 19863

As you can see with Multiveiw on I get what looks to me like the side.view cameras are duplicating the side view of the cockpit.
    If that makes any sence
    Don't know if there is a setting in old or other file to change this.

I will look and see but if anyone knows the vid or what is wrong
    Please advise
    Thanks
    Ruben5

18. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Here is a vid of my rig with 3 screens triple treat lmao.
    https://youtu.be/N5RNexYoyjk
    The vid is not the best as the camera is.up to high so the sun in game is glaring out the track although
    It was not in my view.
    But I really love the Triple screens still have to get used to it as I get a little dizzy ;-)

Ruben

19. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Here is a vid of my rig with 3 screens triple treat lmao.
    https://youtu.be/N5RNexYoyjk
    The vid is not the best as the camera is.up to high so the sun in game is glaring out the track although
    It was not in my view.
    But I really love the Triple screens still have to get used to it as I get a little dizzy ;-)

Ruben

20. Emery

Emery Registered

With multiview, press ctrl= to adjust view so monitor angles, size, and distance are taken into account.