Will more work be done on the Howston G4/5?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wozza_UK, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

I've been driving this car extensively the last week and it has a lot of issues.

Firstly, the car itself. The tyre temps seem totally crazy. No matter what pressure I use the middle temps are way too high. At one point I had a middle temp twice that of an outside temp! I've lowered the pressures all the way down but they are still too high. I've literally brought the pressure down all the way and have run out of adjustment. It seems impossible to get even temps all the way across the tyre even after also correcting cambers etc.

Secondly the AI. I've mainly been driving it around Spa '66 and the AI can barely turn a lap here without crashing. The worst corners are Masta, Blanchimont and also the turns leading up to it. It makes racing the AI completely pointless.

I hear that the car is still on the old tyre model. Is that correct and, if so, will things get better if the car is updated?

Cheers. :cool:

2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

As far as I know it's on the old tire model. I would love to see a updated howston with new physics , tire model and shaders.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

3. stonec

stonec Registered

It uses the old tire model, but CPM doesn't always respond that well to pressures either, even CPM cars are typically best driven at very low pressures. I'd say the car is ok apart from the AI issues, it's still one of the most entertaining cars to drive in rF2.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I guess you will never reach even temps through whole tyre and I think that this is somewhat realistic.
    For AI try to decrease AI agression.

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Not true. Well done tyres react beautifully to pressure changes. Example: I've been testing set of GT cars that are in development now and on one day I was testing it on a long run. Car felt great. Some time has passed and I got new version with some tweaks to aero and few minor things. After initial laps I loaded up my setup I made for previous version. Car was crap to drive. I mean really unpredictable, erratic. I was puzzled. Then I checked the pressures. Rears were 8 kpa higher than fronts resulting very unstable car off and on throttle in corners. Changed that so they were how they should be and magically the car was fantastic again. It was only 8 kpa. 8! And it was only due to minor changes to aero and suspension that made load on the tyres to change a bit resulting higher rear pressures.

However I repeat: Tyres have to be well done. Badly made tyres don't react to pressure changes as you would wish for. Also every car has it's sweet spot for pressure. Especially with newest builds. You really need to get to the magic zone with temps to get proper pressures when the car starts to perform the best, most predictable and with most grip. Right in the working range. So running lowest pressures isn't the way to go at all. As an example, the GT cars I'm talking about require around 7 laps in race pace for the pressures to stabilize and feel planted to the road like a snail to a glass. ;)

Food for thought for everyone: Instead of tweaking your springs, dampers, ride heights endlessly to improve your car's handling maybe it could be fixed with few clicks on tyre pressures. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
  6. Cevert

Cevert Banned

Apologies but you are telling someone their post is false, when it isn't. The optimum range for a most if not all of the updated cars is the lowest PSI and reduced camber.

7. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

Thanks for your replies.

For the AI they are only set at 30% agression anyway and if I reduce it I'm worried they won't overtake at all during the race. I would say it's more a case of them not being able to drive the track properly than them being too aggressive.

Also, I was wondering if their problems might be to do with the car setup they are running. Since reducing tyre temps I've noticed I can enter corners with curved braking zones much easier (e.g. Blanchimont). Is there a way to force them to use my setup?

I also tried the new version of the AI learning that was released in the latest patch. I did two complete sessions (the AI seem to do around 30 laps then come in) but it made no difference. The AI improved by about two seconds around Spa but still crashed through Blanchimont etc.

How many sessions is advised to make the AI learn properly?

Thanks again. ;)

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

AI setup thing:
    for singel car: select car in standings screen, assign setup with buttom "AI setup" (at the bottom of screen where you can save your setup)
    for all cars: go to UserData/Player open Player.Json, set "fixed setups" and "fixed AI setup" to "true". Then assign setup (so that it loads automaticly when you enter track).

No worries about AI agression <30% ! Just try!

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Highlight the AI you want using a setup, go into garage and highlight the setup to assign, and assign it.
    View attachment 19821

11. Emery

Emery Registered

You probably want to use Type 2 AI learning for Howstons at Spa. That's the one where each AI adjust throttle & braking rather than adjusting their line, around 250 laps is needed. Helps them get through without drifting wide, however they'll still be slow throughout the long corners. Only way I found to make that better is to increase AIgrip in the mod's TBC.

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

They just don't have enough time I think. What I was wondering, since they outsource most of the work newer tracks (mainly the ovals) Why can't this be done with cars as well? There are plenty of very talented car modders out there :)

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Very few modders still understand rF2 tire model very well. With a few exceptions (mainly Apex and URD, but it took them a long time as well), modders are just borrowing ISI example car tires without building new ones from scratch. Modding tracks is more or less the same as it always was, you only need to increase mesh resolution from rF1 track and add realroad, and you have a track drivable with rF2.