Just bought Rfactor 2: i'm lost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BhZ, Apr 18, 2016.

1. BhZ

BhZ Registered

2 days ago i bought Rfactor2. I have many questions about it and on the forum is quite hard to find information since many posts are old.
    So i'll start with some:
    1)I have a t500rs. I always heard about how amazing the FFB is on Rfactor2, but honestly atm i'm a bit disappointed since it seems to me that AC FFB is better. So, here's the thing: what settings do you use with the same wheel? Anything else that i should know to improve the FFB (i already know about clipping and deadzone)? What track and car should i use to test the FFB?
    2)In Assetto Corsa I used to feel a vibration on the wheel when locking the tyres and i was even able to understand how much i was braking thanks to the wheel. Here in Rfactor 2 I don't understand how much i'm braking and if i'm locking or not. Plus, I have the sensation that the brake is too sensible (braking just a bit means braking very much). Anything i should know to fix this problem?
    3)There are really a lot of mods. Is there an app to download them easily instead of looking for them on the forum? What are the best/must have plugins for the game (HUD in particular)?

2. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

rFactor 2 - Game Guide and F.A.Q.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-game-guide-and-f-a-q.119019/

3. BhZ

BhZ Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  4. BhZ

BhZ Registered

5. BhZ

BhZ Registered

6. Nibo

Nibo Registered

If you have Steam version of rF2, then you can download mods by subscribing in Steam Workshop. For non-steam veresion, in rF2 launcher click "Content" -> "Remote Content" to download &install most of the mods by one click.

For HUD I use DigitalHUD v1.05, http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19730-DigitalHUD-v1-05

7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

In regards to the brakes, you can try two things. First lower the sensitivity of the braking axis which is in the settings menu. Second, adjust the brake pressure on each car. You can tweak it to match your liking. You'll find this in the garage menu, and once you make the change make sure to save the setup so you don't have to do it every time.

As far as braking feel, just like in real life, when you're hard on the brakes you will feel the ffb become heavier as weight transfers over the front tires. If you lock up, the ffb will instantly become very light due to the tires skidding and losing grip. This is much closer to RL than the canned vibration effect you mention in AC, and it might take some time to get used to.

8. Tony

Tony Registered

Hello BhZ,

Big thing for you at this stage: Turn down the braking pedal-strength in-game. When at a track & in the pits with the UI screen - click on the Garage tab, then Advanced.. & scroll down to "Max Pedal Force" & put that down a fair bit.. (depends on the car of course - as the Historic cars do need more)

And I use my T500rs pretty much out of the box, but with Rotation/angle: 900deg & overall F/F is 60%, & Damper is 75%

It might help a little to turn down the Car Specific F/F Multi in Garage/Settings (when already at a track) I find the combination of the T500rs & rF2 produces very strong F/F..

As green serpent has described - the brakes are more sensitive due to various subtleties in this sim, & locking the tyres is a much easier thing to do at first ..& then of course you get the flat-spotting ;)

It took me months of racing different types of cars to get used to NOT over-braking & flat-spotting when this feature first came in - but I'm enjoying 35lap races now with an F1 mod & - unless I lose it with a tank-slapper - I can usually avoid overbraking & lockups

As far as the cars go, I would maybe avoid ISI's Formula Renault 3.5, or the Marussia, as both have a hair-trigger throttles & extremely sensitive brakes ..so maybe try the Nissan GT-R, or the Dallara Indy-car (road course version) initially

Good luck!

9. bwana

bwana Registered

The Brabham BT20, Eve's and the Skippy can also give you good FFB response for setting up your wheel. Be sure to let your track of choice rubber up as well .

10. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Make sure you click "detect" in control menu, it does some sort of mumbo jumbo to set the FFB exactly to your wheel (in case it does know your wheel, which it does in case of T500)

I personaly hate the AC vibration nonsence stuff. You cant feel vibrations when locking up in real car, neither is your wheel vibrating when you are spinning your wheels. And if you stick around for long enough, you will learn to feel the slight very fine informations the rf2 FFB gives you.. if you are understeering, as your slip angle increases, the FFB gets lighter since you are getting less grip, when you oversteer.. well..im sure you can feel what happens when you oversteer.

as for mods, Steam version of rF2 offers Steam workshop, a brilliant way how to manage mods.

11. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

12. stonec

stonec Registered

1) It's probably because AC FFB is "stronger" by default. By stronger I mean more artificially bumped up. To do the same in rF2, adjust the car-specific FFB multiplier from Controller settings to something like 1.2.
    2) rF2 FFB transmits only real forces, it has no canned effects and no way to enable them.
    3) TrackMap plugin does everything for HUD. Unfortunately you basically have to search the forum or go to websites like RaceDepartment, with rF2 Steam version you can use the workshop to download some things.

13. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

Hi BhZ, one thing people often overlook is the 'FFB Smooth' setting, check where yours is at, turn the smoothing effect down and see how things feel. It will make effects much more pronounced.

I run with 0 ffb smoothing... However I have a weaker wheel, turning off smoothing will make all the forces much more noticable, and is how rf2 used to feel once upon a time.

With the t500rs you may want to start at 0 and increase as desired.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Well, it's with the weaker wheels the ffb smoothing come in handy. My G27 rattles like hell at some tracks. But the T500rs is belt-driven and it should be possible to use 0 ffb smoothing at all time. At least I would do, if I could!

Btw, I also find AC's ffb quite fancy. There's something about that weight in the wheel that is immersive and I can't create it for rf2.

15. Tony

Tony Registered

That's a good point bwana - I'd overlooked that, & a green track is so different/difficult compared to a rubbered-in one

16. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

I'm using a G27 at the moment, with 0 ffb smoothing, I certainly don't hear rattles... because I stay on the track ;)

17. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Lol. It's not just off-track I hear rattles, it's on the uneven roads. Historic Spa and Monaco for example, not to mention the curbs at modern Silverstone - they are killing my wheel. Some parts of Nordschleife are probably the worst. On these tracks I tend to set the ffb smoothing as high as 10-15. At least if I don't want the neighbours to knock on my door lol. But normally I keep it as low as possible, 0-3 something. But even if the track surface is good enough so that I can keep it at 0, most track's curbs will make a incredible high rattle anyway. I think it is the tracks with 3d curbs, Silverstone and Poznan for example, iirc.

18. BhZ

BhZ Registered

Thanks for the replies guys, very appreciated. Anyways, I already knew about the FFb multiplier and the smoothing (which i set to 0 the moment i bought rf2). I know that AC has some "fake" forces on the wheel, but since i'm not in a real car and i can't feel g-forces and road, i'm fine with that. Obviously i need some time to understand the FFB here. I tried the renault megane and it's perfect speaking about FFB. Still, i feel the oversteer later than on AC.
    Speaking about mods: I downloaded many cars and tracks from the forum and the steam workshop (i can't find every mod on steam, why is that?) but when i try to join a server online, i notice that many uses packages i do not own and i didn't find them on the forum. Probably i have to look better.
    What settings do you use in the t500rs drivers?
    P.s. sorry for the late reply but i couldn't post until a moderator allowed my account to do so.

19. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

That's exactly my experience with a G27 too.

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Belt driven wheels (thrustmasters) should not use any FFB smoothing since there is a rubber belt leading from the wheels shaft to the electric motor that does the damping simply by desing.
    Cog driven wheels (Logitechs) use cogs of various hard materials to do the same job as the belt, that offers no damping, its much more accurate, fast but also harsh and VERY noisy.. those are the wheels that should be used with FFB smoothing.

When i had my logitech DFG i was running smoothing 9 i believe.. on T500 its 0 and T500 still feels.. mushier..

Its not just about offroad, in my case most of the violent vibrations come from tracking out onto a teethy kerp or by flatspotting.. Gosh i cant even imagine how bad the rattle must be with a flatspot :-|