SOLVED T300 wheel together with TH8A shifter freezes RFactor2 application

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ZVR, Apr 16, 2016.

1. ZVR

ZVR Registered

Hello,

When I have both T300 wheel and TH8A shifter plugged in I get following behavior:
    Start RF2 via Steam: OK
    Go to Options:OK
    Video, audio, pluggins etc option sections: OK
    Controls options section: Not OK
    When I enter Control options section, everything is stuttering (not screen flicker, there is huge delay when I try to press/select something- application does not respond).
    This happens so intensively that I cannot even press "Back" button to go to initial menu and exit game. The only way to exit rf2 application is to kill it via windows task manager.
    While beeing in "Controls" sometimes I'm able to select eg "Gear 1" button and map it to shifter (huge delay for this to happen). If I select 1st gear from shifter it maps it correctly to JOY2 B1.
    So, my understanding is that rf2 gets signals from shifter, but somehow it gets confused with the 2 controllers, wheel+shifter. (Wheel is recognized as JOY1, shifter as JOY2).

Further notes:
    -Wheel and shifter are in the latest firmware and software version downloaded from Thrustmaster
    -Both controller are correctly recognized and functional via their control panels
    -When I use wheel only, everything is fine in rf2. Steering, clutch, brake, gas work fine (I have T3PA pedals)
    -When I use only shifter (wheel unplugged) everything fine in rf2. I can map all gears, no stuttering, no problem.
    -Wheel+shifter combo works fine in other games (e.g. pCars)
    -Rf2: Steam version latest build
    -T8HA shifter is plugged directly to USB port. Problem persists in both h-pattern and sequential mode
    -No USB hub is used
    -Wheel and shifter's USBs plugged directly on motherboard's ports (tried also the ports on PC's front panel)
    -Tried all USB connection combinations (in USB2 only, in USB3 only etc)
    -If I do not go to Options->Controls at all, and just hit "Race": Track loads but very slowly. Then the same stuttering/freezing/unresponsiveness happens.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated,
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  2. GT1

GT1 Registered

I have exactly the same issue and have been trying to fix it! I installed the TH8A shifter last night and exhibit all the problems you have listed here.

3. TJones

TJones Registered

4. ZVR

ZVR Registered

That's a good question. I was thinking about it myself but the G920 thing or the other changelog entries don't seem relevant but you never know...
    Unfortunately it's the 1st time I used the shifter (or wheel+ 2nd usb device in general) with rf2 so I cannot say abour prior builds.
    However I strongly believe that it must be a newly introduced issue. This shifter (and it's predecessor TH8RS) are quite common pieces of hardware and I searched for similar errors but couldn't find much...
    Only one guy was facing similar problem due to connecting devices on usb hub but it was with another game.

Maybe somebody in the forum that has been using wheel+shifter with previous builds could give us some more info.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  5. ZVR

ZVR Registered

I cannot say for previous builds since I 1st tried the shifter on the latest one.
    I searched for similar problems for TH8A and predecessor TH8RS shifters but did not find something. Since those are pretty common shifters I would expect that others would have similar issues but seems it is not the case.
    This makes me think that it is a newly introduced bug, though I don't see something obviously relevant in the changelog of build1080

Maybe somebody that has been using the shifter for a while can provide some info if it still functional.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  6. ZVR

ZVR Registered

Don't know about previous builds since I didn't have the shifter installed earlier.

Maybe someone else that owns the shifter can verify If it's still functional.

7. MiniMadPaul

MiniMadPaul Registered

I have exactly the same problem. The problem goes away if I have my TH8RS unplugged. I also have a Thrustmaster T300.

This occurred after the rF2 update to v1080. Everything worked fine before then. I also updated the firmware of my T300 to v25 but I reverted back to v24 and the problem remained. I was using firmware v24 before the rF2 update.

The version update notes from ISI mention the following

"New controller presets for SimXperience AccuForce, Thrustmaster TMX, and Logitech Rumble F310/F510/F710 gamepads.

Possible that this change has caused an issue.

Unlike the above though the rest of the menus work fine rF2 only slows up if I go into the Controls menu. So I can still use rF2 as long as I don't want to change any controller settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  8. MiniMadPaul

MiniMadPaul Registered

Had the T300 and the TH8RS for a while now and this problem has only occurred in the newly released version of rF2 v1080.

9. tpw

tpw Registered

I'm running T300GTE/TH8A/T3PAPRO and have not experienced any of these issues after the update. I had already created my own custom controller presets for paddle and sequential shift, and just kept using those. I'm running Windows 7 64, I wonder if the issues are Win 10 related somehow.

10. TJones

TJones Registered

I have a T500 RS wheel with TH8RS Shifter and no problems, but i didn't use the Thrustmaster pedals.

Would be interseting to know wich Driver/Firmware version are in use.

My T500 RS: Firmware: 41, Driver: 2.8.16.0
    TH8RS: Firmware 2.0, Driver: 1.0.0.0

EDIT: OS is Windows 8.1 64

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  11. MiniMadPaul

MiniMadPaul Registered

Could be I too am running Windows 10 64 bit.

12. MiniMadPaul

MiniMadPaul Registered

I have Fanatec Pedals v3

T300 Firmware v25 (problem is present with v24)

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Finally I found people with the same problem.

I have T500RS+TH8 shifter, win 10 64 bit. Just installed latest drivers and firmware to the wheel last week.

Problem didn't exist with old wheel firmware/drivers + build 1052.

I usually visit control settings to change ffb multi so not visiting control settings is no option. Once on track everything is ok. Other settings are also ok.

So it has something to do with build 1080 + thrustmaster new drivers/firmware + win 10 combo.

14. jimortality

jimortality Registered

Thank goodness it's not just me. I'm using a TX wheel with TH8RS shifter and I'm having the exact same problem as the op. I reinstalled the game and even steam but I don't know what to do. I updated the firmware on the wheel and I'm also on Windows 10.

15. jimortality

jimortality Registered

I think I've fixed it. I still had the 2015 driver so I uninstalled the latest one and installed last years. All working great now so it looks like its the firmware and not the game.

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

The REAL cause could still be something else... like Win 10 or build 1080 having an issue causing the new drivers/firmware creating this problem. Either way, I hope that it's fixed asap.

17. jimortality

jimortality Registered

Yeah you could be right but reinstalling the old driver has fixed it for me.

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

But it really isn't a viable option, isn't it? Especially when many have stated that the driving feels better with the new drivers/firmware.

19. jimortality

jimortality Registered

I was lead to believe that the new driver was designed more for the new TMX wheel.

20. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There was new firmware for each Thrustmaster wheel.

At least I have heard that T500RS feels even better now. Haven't had time to test it myself proberly yet.