Car isn't as fast as it says it is

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JariB, Apr 2, 2016.

1. JariB

JariB Registered

Just bought rfactor 2 a couple days ago and have tried out some cars and tracks. I have been a sim racer for about 15 years and absolutely love the original rfactor (having competed in several leagues over the years) so I was expecting an incredible game.

I am experiencing so many bugs. When racing offline, the AI cars would sometimes randomly freeze on track. They also tend to flicker (despite me having an FPS rate of about 150-200).
    When racing online and offline at high speeds my car sometimes digs into the ground and gets launched several hundred meters into the air or it travels through a "wormhole" to another spot of the track. I don't have the fastest internet connection but have never had problems with another game in the past.

Another thing I found was, that when racing against AI and we both are doing 300 kph for example, the AI is a lot faster. I would say by at least 100 kph, eventhough the HUD says the same for both cars. At first I had wondered, why I felt no sense of speed. But now I have come to the conclusion, that the speed shown by the HUD is not the actual speed of my car.

Here's a video to show you what I am talking about:

I have a new PC:

GTX970
    16Gb Ram
    Intel Core i7-6700

Though I have an old wheel (Sidewinder Force Feedback). I don't think this should have anything to do with it?

I also have tried 32bit and 64bit, have tried every kind of sync. But still I cannot fix that problem. Anybody know what might be up with this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  2. Sentri

Sentri Registered

Go to the folder you installed rFactor 2 to, navigate to the userdata/player folder open the Controller.JSON file in notepad or download notepad++. Find "Skip updates":0, and change the zero to 1 or more.

"Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",

The sidewinder is one of the wheels that change handle quick ffb updates. That should help the freezing AI. Not sure why you are getting passed so bad though. See if the wheel fix helps that too.

3. JariB

JariB Registered

This seems to have fixed it, thank you very much.