Trying to decide between base RF2 or lifetime

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mog0001, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mog0001

mog0001 Registered

Hi, I'm new to PC sim racing and was looking at making rf2 my go to sim after reading about it's physics. I was hoping to purchase today.

I am trying to decide between the offline steam version (US$32) vs steam + lifetime (US$85).

I see that there are some public servers but I am wondering if any are based in Australia? And what sort of connection is suggested (only get 2mb/s at best)
    Also do you need the online subscription for league racing also?

I am a pretty poor driver so I won't be looking to compete in the near future and as such is there any other benefits of having the subscription --> eg amateur races, practice hot lopping with friendly driver!

Lastly, what is the future of rf2 looking like? Will a lifetime subscription transfer over to rfactor 3 etc in the future?

Thanks for your help in advance and any advice will be appreciated.

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I will always advocate for lifetime... Because being unable go online is like a cage to me. Getting it lifetime meant to me that thing was done and dusted for good.
    But, I guess you can try 1 year online sub as well? See if it has any use for you.

I only really use it online so the online lifetime choice was a no-brainer for me.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

> I see that there are some public servers but I am wondering if any are based in Australia?

There are Australian servers. Most servers are put online by individuals for the enjoyment of others as there are only 5 official ISI servers. The fee ISI is charging is for access to all online servers. ISI's online code is very solid provided your connection does not have a delay (latency) and people from all over the world race each other on very distant servers. I'm in rural Oregon (USA) and have raced against Australian, Brazilian, & Europeans in the same race with no problems.

> And what sort of connection is suggested (only get 2mb/s at best)

That should work, provided it does not have high latency (satellite connections do not work). If you have a data quota (e.g. 3 GB per month), then you might need to juggle priorities as to best use of internet data (rF2 is fairly light usage and I use nearly 3 GB per month racing average 4-5 hours per week).

> Also do you need the online subscription for league racing also?

You need an online subscription to access any online server, whether league or official ISI.

> I am a pretty poor driver so I won't be looking to compete in the near future and as such is there any other benefits of having the subscription --> eg amateur races, practice hot lopping with friendly driver!

Online subscription is the only way to interact with other drivers in realtime. Practice with another driver, friendly races, etc. The only offline interaction would be sharing replay files with someone else and using the "resume from replay" feature to continue a race, like swapping drivers in an endurance race.

> Lastly, what is the future of rf2 looking like?

It will likely be around for a long time. rF1, for instance, is still here. rF1 was released in 2005 and rF2 released in 2013, so you can see that ISI has long development cycles.

> Will a lifetime subscription transfer over to rfactor 3 etc in the future?

No, the only product you're buying a license for is rF2. Just like an rF1 license did not entitle you to rF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  4. Skan

Skan Registered

The base option would cost You more money than the lifetime option after a few years of renewing a yearly subscription.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

There is no indication about rF3, in fact ISI is working on other "not rF3" product now, so I wouldn't count with any rF3 released in next 5 years. So basically it comes down to whether you think you will use rF2 online after 4 years. Tbh I'm not sure how active rF2 online will remain four years from now, considering that even now the online activity is 90% from leagues, so non-lifetime might be safer bet if that money really matters to you.

6. boxer

boxer Registered

I would get lifetime... one time payment you don't need to worry after that. For me it is worth it.

the MP numbers will get better as more people own the game and more mods come out.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Try lifetime free for a week.

If it does not work out for you get the full refund.

Then buy limited.

Simple ?

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Good Durge! One more you can teach on your server! ;)

Really: buy lifetime. You don´t have to do races! Friendly training (hotlapping) is always on.

9. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

Lifetime all the way.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well if he tries life for a week and wastes no time getting online
    with a car he likes and gets help in the room ......

......he ain't getting a refund anyways.

lol ;)

I never got Life and am yet to pay full price (Mid 2017)

But like I said so what if I pay for a few more years then lifers in the end ?

ISI get more money from me ? ....which is better for everyone.

cheap skate lifers ....hummph lool :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  11. bwana

bwana Registered

Life time for sure. Quite a few busy Australian leagues running all sorts of events. Most have drivers lapping each night and on weekends. Server location doesn't make much difference at all. . We at SimRacingAustralia use an American server..

12. mog0001

mog0001 Registered

Thanks for the advice. Glad to hear the servers hold up even if a distance away. Ended up getting lifetime just in case I decide to hop on down the track which I'm sure I will. Now to get my head around this game - doesn't seem to have a game manual!

13. bwana

bwana Registered

nup no manual, but all the help you need is right here on this forum, plus google is your friend ;)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You got to admit though a update to most tutorials is over due, little changes in builds to the Launcher, Mas2, Mod Manager operation etc, not to mention a Steam section outlining the differences.

With all the talent around ISI we could craft a stylish pdf , no ?

I would be happy to do all the screenshots for diagrams, , crop/resize, add arrows and text, etc.

:p

P.S.
    A Page for each car with standard front, rear and side on shots, spec sheet and other relevant info.
    Yes I realize Tim /ISI has done that already but it would be nice to have in a book. p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  15. bwana

bwana Registered

Agreed DD. A proper well constructed manual would be brilliant. Not all that up on wiki stuff or how its going but its another good option for anyone with a question.

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

17. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I would get the lifetime. I have it even though I never race online.

EDIT: Oh well, I guess I'm kinda late. Blame it on my slow ISP! :cool:

18. bwana

bwana Registered

Nice link white shadow. Thanks..

19. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Not much point going lifetime tbh, no-one's racing.

20. Emery

Emery Registered

Hmm, strange, I could have sworn I was in 4 online races with other people starting Thur night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.