Force feedback issue - Thrustmaster F430 wheel

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MrVibrating, Apr 1, 2016.

1. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

Thrustmaster F430 wheel.

Forces reversed, polarity toggle missing from options screen, user.plr has to be edited and feedback strength changed from -10000 to -9999 (could this option BE any more obscure?)...

This corrects the force signs but now for some reason the dynamic forces have a terrible high frequency pulse to them - static forces seem OK, but as soon as a car starts rolling the FFB becomes a crunchy unusable mess. Reducing the car-specific multiplier simply caps the amplitude of the corrupted data. Maxing the smoothing value averages it out, somewhat, at the expense of eliminating half the feedback you actually need (rumble strips, traction loss etc.)

RF2 never used to do this, something's obviously changed since i first bought it (years back).

RF1 with RealFeel & Leos had sublime feedback, best i've ever encountered. Hopefully they'll eventually get re-released for RF2.. but in the meantime, is ISI doing anything about fixing this? IIRC i last tried to play around a year ago and had this same issue, so it's been like this a good while now..

Decent FFB is the main draw for me, all my other FFB games are fine, only RF2 has this insane 'crunchiness' to the active forces..

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

If forces are reversed, then you should only change +/- sign for the FFB strength. If '-10000' was giving you reversed forces, then you should use '10000'.
    Which cars did you test? On what tracks? What are your drivers and in-game FFB settings?
    Hearing, there are *major* issues yet with just a very brief description, doesn't sound useful.

I hope you know, that Leo's plugin parameters can only be valid for a one particular car, with one particular set of tyres at a time? It means, every time you change a car, you should also change Leo's plugin parameters, to be exactly as the car you want to drive. rF2's Force Feedback goes up and beyond this - you get correct, physics based FFB automatically for whatever car you pick to drive and the only thing you eventually might want to tweak (on a per car basis) is smoothing and FFB multiplier.

3. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

Yes, you'd think only the force signs needed changing, but check it out - "-10000" and "10000" actually produce forces of the same sign! To reverse the sign of "-10000", the field has to be changed to "-9999". This is what i mean by obscure - it's completely counter-intuitive.

If the GUI had a force sign option, like RF did, a bug like this would never get past alpha. If supreme physics and FFB are the brand's main selling point, yet all the competitor titles can support Thrustmaster wheels straight outa the box (probably the 2nd most common manufacturer after Logitech), and RF2 can't... something's obviously going wrong at ISI's end. If common wheels aren't working then all the physics accuracy in the world is wasted effort. Cart before horse and all that..

The problem is game controller support, so all cars and tracks are affected, to answer your question. And i'm describing my controller settings, to answer your second question - it's an F430 wheel, i've found out how to correct the force signs but i'm finding that the dynamic torques are 'notchy' - what should be a constant torque level instead has a sinusoidal variation, with a period in the tens of milliseconds range. Maxing the "smoothing" filter reduces the problem, but at the expense of losing fine details such as rumble strips and transient grip fluctuations - essential feedback, so not a satisfactory workaround.

As for "drivers" - presuming you mean hardware drivers, they're all up to date.. (it's a longstanding RF2 bug, not something wrong with my system!)

Again, the basic problem seems to be that the game is only sending sinusoidal outputs for dynamic forces, rather than the constant outputs used for static forces. I see no reason this can't be corrected with a simple toggle in the controller options, or better, via device recognition (the same way other games do it).

Yes Leo's is car-specific but as with any sim, a fun drive is worth the setup time, and in the case of RF, a perfectly tuned Leos + RealFeel profile was far better than anything i've got out of RF2... by a country mile.

I found yet another bug fix last night... i bought this game in early beta (years ago now), paid £60 on the back of my impressions of RF, expecting it to be worth every penny... only to find that all of the cars handled like a motorcycle with broken swingarm bearings - stupidly unstable, spinning around crazily at the slightest touch of the controls. But i thought it was just supposed to be like that - that some people considered it more "realistic" - there was still a mechanical logic to it, cause and effect-wise... it was just stupidly exagerated physics, to the point of being almost impossible to complete a fast lap without spinning off.

Then last night i noticed a setting for wheel range buried in the actual pre-race car setups options - defaulted at 900°. Yet my wheel only has 270° of angle! I corrected it and voila, for the very first time in years of persisting with this, i've finally found that, in fact, RF2 can handle just as well or even better than other sims! No more wild spinning around in circles, or drunken wobbling around, struggling to hold a straight line... i can finally do whole laps!

Suddenly, it's as if i have a whole new game, waiting to be explored and mastered... which would all be well and good, if only i'd been able to play the thing years ago when i paid for it!

Why oh why didn't ISI think to automatically set output wheel range to input wheel range by default? This should be a global settings option, defaulting to a 1:1 sync and then allowing per-car variations from that default. I mean... duh? All the other titles manage this, yet RF2 launches with this massive, game-destroying oversight! When superior FFB is supposed to be its whole raison d'etre!!! The mind boggles at such disorganised, careless QC..

Excuse my indignance but i think i've been exceptionally patient with this title... its best intentions are laid waste in careless attention to controller integration, squandering its own potential. Yes, i agree that we should only need be concerned with FFB multipler and smoothing options... hence my years of frustration.

4. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

What, where is the logic in that? "10000" works perfectly fine to reverse my T500 wheel. For the degree of rotation problem, have you allowed the game to override your wheel in the thrustmaster software? I believe it does allow you to do so for that wheel.

I would hardly say ISI are careless in controller integration, it supports a good number of devices to be used together at the same time and if they don't work perfectly at first you have a lot of tools to fix them. You need to map all of your controllers specifically, but that is great, it means buttons can always do what you want. Other games in my experience either work ok or do not and thats it.

5. bwana

bwana Registered

and your blaming ISI ? mirror time .

6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Thread renamed

7. MrVibrating

MrVibrating Registered

Precisely!

I have no such option in the Thrustmaster software or Windows controller options (all current). As i say, flipping the sign from 10000 to -10000 does not invert the force signs. Both 10000 and -10000 give me reversed forces, and -9999 corrects them. So not-at-all-logical, hence my use of the term "counter-intuitive".

It's a bug, by any reasonable definition, and one that wouldn't have slipped through if there was a simple GUI toggle in the options, per RF et al.

ETA: here's another ref for the force sign bug:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/discussions/0/496881136907021693/#c492379439672370333

No problems with mappings (other than the force sign bug). Like i say, it's a common FFB wheel, ISI even seem to be running Thrustmaster-sponsered events, and it works correctly in any other FFB racer you care to mention. So we're definitely talking about RF2-specific bugs, in what should be a mature title this long after launch..

All the other FFB racers correctly map input to output by default. So my 270° wheel has 270° of lock in-game, and FFB is also thus calculated correctly.

By default, RF2 multiplies my inputs, and sends correspinding feedback that is 333% wrong. Not a little bit wrong. 900 / 270 = 3.33. So the translation of input to output actions is completely out of whack. Turning the wheel causes over 3x the in-game displacement, and over 3x the appropriate feedback force delta / angle.

This makes the game all but unplayable. If you connect a 900° wheel, the default setting works - but not because the correct mapping is taken from your wheel .ini or clearly exposed in the controller options.. no, it works by sheer serendipity that ISI and their beta testers were using a similar wheel! If instead the output was mapped 1:1 to input by default, or else exposed via a setting in the controller options (instead of buried in a car-&-track-specific setups tab that you're not even going to look at before you can get your wheel working), then everyone's wheels would work correctly - yours and mine, like they do in all the other games, without any drama..

So it's a bug, plain and simple. The correct mapping is 1:1, not 1:3. If a user wanted to change that default; their call. But if it's wrong by default, that is the quintessential, archetypal epitome of a 'bug'..

Please understand that a bug report is not a personal attack upon a game's player base. You don't need to explain them away, or make any excuses for them. That is counter-productive for all of us, and we all want the same thing. I didn't make the error, ISI did.

None of which answers my question of why there's constant ~20 Hz rumble to the dynamic forces.. or how to remove it without eliminating all the fine detail.. (preferably without having to go and buy another wheel just for RF2)..

Again, it's a sinusiodal variation, cycling at a few tens of ms, and only in response to dynamic forces.. so for example static friction when stationary varies smoothly, but if you were turning in a circle at constant angle and velocity, what should be a static centering force is instead wobbly... and this high-freq wobble causes a 'grindy' feel when steering..

Could it be rumble data intended for rumble motors, being misdirected into the steering motor? Or else RF2 is employing some kind of FFB-integration that is somehow 'granular' rather than floating point or whatever..

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

rF2 does that. But the way it is handled, works only with wheels that allow you to change steering range in drivers.
    For those without such support, there's an option to specify wheel range in the Controller section in the Options menu. But it's not ISI's fault, when users simply don't want to look into settings offered for them via various menus.

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

@MrVibrating I don`t understand you problem. Don`t use Thrustmaster software or Windows controller options. Just load F430 Force Feedback profile in rFactor2 controller menu and hit the road mate.