rfcmp update, now what for rfmod and getmod?

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Knackko Lovitch, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Knackko Lovitch

Knackko Lovitch Registered

Hi people,

I had some headache with packaging and updating rfcmp, maybe some of you can help me.
    My main goal is to provide an update of a track component and to refer to it in a rfmod. Constraint: the track update contains only updated files.
    So I made a rfcmp of the updated track, it contains 3 mas containing original track layout files (gdb,scn,..) and a mas containing an updated tdf. So no mas containing gmt or textures are in the new rfcmp.

I can resume it to:
    - thetrack_10.rfcmp:
    thetrack_textures.mas
    thetrack_object.mas
    thetrack_main.mas
    thetrack_layout1.mas
    thetrack_layout2.mas

- now the update, thetrack_11.rfcmp:
    thetrack_main.mas (containing the updated tdf file)
    thetrack_layout1.mas (containg original gdb, scn)
    thetrack_layout2.mas (containg original gdb, scn)
    (thetrack_layout1.mas and thetrack_layout2.mas are needed to make thetrack appears in rfactor2 as version 11 and to have new tdf working!)

So no object or texture mas in the update. thetrack_11.rfcmp has been build with a reference to the previous version 10. Installed and working fine in rfactor2.

Of course thetrack_10.rfcmp must be installed to install thetrack11.rfcmp and here begin the problem when i had to create a rfmod for my serie calling thetrack:
    On server side
    - did all the thing for getmod for thetrack_10.rfcmp and thetrack_11.rfcmp, so it can be downloaded when connecting to the dedicated server
    - build the rfmod: it is impossible to refer to 2 versions of the same component name in package creator. So i've just added thetrack11 and selected the layouts.
    - put the rfmod on the dedicated server, install thetrack_10 and thetrack_11, make them available in Packages directory
    - start the dedicated server on the rfmod and the updated thetrack !

First test on client side, when all the rfcmp are installed:
    - join the dedicated server is ok

Second test on client side: without thetrack rfcmp installed:
    - joining the dedicated server, rf2 offers the client to get missing components, in the list of components, there is thetrack refered 2 times, but each time with 1.1 version
    - it begins to download, but it downloads a rfcmp file named thetrack_10.rfcmp with the content of thetrack_11.rfcmp !?

Is there a way to make it works? or is it a nonsense to try to provide incremental updates of components ( so i should provide all the content of thetrack in the rfcmp)?

Third test on client side: without thetrack_11.rfcmp but with thetrack_10.rfcmp:
    - not done at this time

Thanks.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

GetMod doesn't work correctly with update components. When you join the server GetMod will only try to download the update but it will fail to install because the update depends on the original component. It's kind of stupid and hopefully one day this problem can be addressed. So for now I don't bother with updates at all. It's just to much hassle in a league environment. If you do full components for everything and GetMod enable all your components then you end up with a dummy proof league. It just sucks to force users to download a 300MB component for a single line edit to a GDB file.

3. Knackko Lovitch

Knackko Lovitch Registered

Thanks for your reply.

In fact at this time I'm always wondering about different schemes to distribute and update content in the league even if I find getmod the most accurate, as you said it is dummy proof.
    I also saw that with simsync, you can synchronize packages or synchronize installed content.. but in that way, with synchronizing installed content, all the content must be "custom" and for me this scheme used for rf1 have not to be in rf2. Synchronizing packages, why not, but you lost the benefit of getmod which is every driver on the lobby can join your server.

vmod/multi cmp? as I know, it should not be used anymore?

4. Juergen Muench

Juergen Muench Registered

Hey, we use update packages for our vehicles. I don´t know exactly If it´s possible to the same on tracks but it should work, too.

To avoid the problem that the GetMod is just downloading the updated rfcmp we put our update in the rfmod file. Due to some changes in the *.veh´s and other smal files, filesize is not as big as hell ;)
    This is another thing, as far as I know it´s not important to have the same *.mas structure like in the main version. It´s enough to put all updated files into one e.g. update01.mas.

After packaging the update.mas we create a update rfcmp with the GetMod link for the main version.
    Then install this package on server.

To connect to your work, install the_track11.rfcmp
    With GetMod tool form Noel you can set the url for the_track10.rfcmp to this content.

Then create the rfmod file and on the last overview, hit the marker in front of the the_track11, so this files will be included in the rfmod file.
    Then install the rfmod and test it. ;)

It should download the the_track10 if someone has nothing and afterwards the update due the rfmod and just the rfmod file if someone has already the_track10.

Hope it´ll work