Gtx 960 - gtx 970

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Juan, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Juan

Juan Registered

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a new video graphic card, I am thinking about GTX 960 - GTX 970, both 4GB. The price is GTX 960 $ 300 - GTX 970 $ 359. Obviously the performance is higher for GTX 970. GTX 960 is enough for rFactor 2?. GTX 970 is more than the necessary or running on 970 in rFactor 2 is perfect??. it talking about FPS performance.

Tnx ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
  2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

GTX960 is slightly better "bang for buck"

Looking at "raw performance" is a whole different story

1920 x1080 across 20 games
    [​IMG]

*** PERFORMANCE in rF2 will be affected by Processor.

ie: Old gen Intel running @ Pcie2.0

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
  3. Juan

Juan Registered

Thank, but GTX 960 is enough for rFactor 2?.

4. Juan

Juan Registered

screen resolution 1920 x 1080, single screen.

5. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

For $60 more go with 970, you can't have too much FPS. If 960 was only $200 then you have a tougher decision.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I bit the bullet and got a GTX 970 today, RF2 is now maxed out (...that's EVERYTHING!) and I get enough fps and then some for dinner. The only niggling thing I've found is that I need to use Video Sync to get "smooth" gameplay, with it off the card jumps to 100& usage and I can easily see lagging/slowness at times. With it on everything is fine and a joy to behold, still maybe a few tweaks to do but out the box it's a great card and will do me for a couple of years I easy.

7. rolandhaans

rolandhaans Registered

It's the same on my system, also with a 970. Setting the max frames to 60 in the player .json file and disabling vsync makes it a butter smooth experience and probably saves a good deal of energy, as the average GPU load is somewhere around 30-40% on most occasions. I would advise against the use of vsync anyhow, simply because of the increased latency. Enjoy the new card;)

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

8. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Does limiting the FPS in the player.json work with with the new build? I had issues with it working the first time after changing it and then not after the second or third time. I ended up having to limit FPS in MSI afterburner. I had similar issues of the card maxing out at 99% usage. Gtx 980ti.

Sent from my Nexus 7

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I just used the settings screen to use Video Sync, not touched anything in the JSON so wouldn't know myself, sorry.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

If you are going to limit FPS to 60, you might as well buy GTX 960 for single screen 1080p. Very rarely will FPS drop below 60 on a 960 even with close to maxed settings.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

+1

970 will give you the overhead to not worry about fps-intensive tracks like Sebring or Longford when you have 20-30 cars on the start.

And if a 960 is similar to a 770 in rF2 per that benchmark listing, then you'll be wanting a 970 as the 770 isn't quite enough to run everything on max (hence how I ended up with a 970).

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Been a looong time since i tried/used vsync video in rf2 but when i did use/test it last there was something like a horrendous ~200ms monitor lag.

13. felirrari

felirrari Registered

How can I measure it?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've never noticed this lag (including with previous HD7850), I think it's purely system specs specific.

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It wasn't a very scientific test hence the ~ before the 200ms. I simply visually compared the lag in the display between my ffb steering wheel and virtual steering wheel when turning the steering wheel left to right continuously at a relatively high frequency. With no vsync (of any kind) i could not visually detect any input lag. With vsync video (one of rf2's built in vsync options) i saw a very obvious (no one could miss it) and significant input lag.

Bare in mind this was some 2-3 years ago that i last performed this test and so it may no longer be the case. I can't test myself to check if it is still so since i have no pc with rf2 where i am.

Hmm, perhaps but i recall someone else experienced this lag too which is what prompted me to check it for myself (think it was KeiKei). At the time i was using gtx 460's in SLI and the microstutter was horrendous but vsync video made it run 100% silky smooth. I never noticed or even thought to check for input lag back then (before KeiKei mentioned it) because i had disabled the virtual steering wheel. If i had not disabled it, i think i would have noticed the large input lag sooner as there is a very obvious lag between when you make relatively quick movements with the ffb steering wheel to when it updates on screen.

But again, this was a long time ago now and things may very well have changed.

16. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Same for me. Never used any sync settings. I'm pretty sure that limiting fps in .Json is the only way to avoid lag and get smooth gameplay. I use it for all games and not just rF2. My eyes tells me thank you every day for that :). Th only cons is the screen teraing that is visible sometimes...

Regarding to 960 vs 970, with possibility to buy a 970 I would never consider buying a 960... more future proof ;)