Is this a substitute to in-game VR support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Will Mazeo, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You could just put 6 virtual monitors "around you" in this thing

2. Depco

Depco Registered

Interesting program. I could see it being useful for using the computer without having to take off the headset. But as far as using it for rF2? I dont think it will provide the experience that most VR HMD's are looking for. Still it could be very useful for other purposes.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's very similar to what most units have built in anyway. My Gear VR has this, and that's just coming from the phone. You can stream your screens to the device and essentially do this. Main thing is whether it is 3D and the ingame head moves correctly. So this basically puts you in the same place as I am with my phone... So it's not really a substitute. Native support will always be better...

What I mean by being 3D well, are you in the cockpit, or are you on a virtual chair in a virtual 3D room looking at a 2D tv? :)

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

But with the phone there is delay isn't it? With this it would be just like your monitor. If set with the correct "distance" in the 3d environment would be an "alternative". Now how much power each of these virtual monitor take is another history because you'd need like at least 4 I think
    Would ISI have to do anything for this to work by the way?

5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not much through USB, I'm trying to tweak it, can;t pass judgement on the phone yet.

No I think it would just work, but it sounds like you need to have three actual monitors for it to display three virtual ones. Then, what's the point? And if it's not 3D? What's the point again over normal screens?

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

oh now that's a game changer, if you need a real screen to display the virtual one the whole thing makes no sense :D

8. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

The new VorpX version 16.1.1 has been released but I can't get it working with RF2, I get a black screen in the rift DK2 with runtime 1.3. RF2 support is supposed to be working according to Ralf, maybe one of my settings is causing a problem. Has anyone else had success?

edit: sorry i saw in another thread people do have it working - http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14441-Rf2Rift-rFactor2-Oculus-Rift-Plugin-and-Tools?p=419169&viewfull=1#post419169

the problem must have been one of my settings

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016