Released 1974 Howston Dissenter Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You are trying to compare a modern car with a car made in the 70's?! Apples and oranges my friend.... apple and oranges!

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't think many understand what 70's chassis, tyres and 400+hp was like to drive.

A blue printed balanced Falcon GTHO or Monaro 327/350 could light the wheels in 3rd and 4th gear with no where near 400bhp let alone 500.

I not saying it feels 100% correct and I can sort of agree what Spin is saying when you overdrive it.

Okay yeah AC and the rest feel " more planted " but that is their philosophy and it permeates every single car basically the same.

No matter, would we all be happier if every single sim had same physics and tyres and felt the same ? ;)

What would be the point of having 2. ? lol

3. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

The cars feel great really a lot of fun. Maybe a car ffb multiplier in the tuning menu would be a great addition. The ffb feels a bit light. I remember my old cars.....you had to be hulk or arnie to turn the steering wheel. The feedback the car offers is good.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You have an FFB multiplier in the control setup.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I learned to drive on a '72, bias-ply tired four-door, which had a longer wheelbase than the two door. Now a days, take a look at the WB differences between classes--even smaller. That car had the big 4.1L straight six...tons of torque. But still attached to the crappiest tires, brakes and transmission imaginable by today's standards. They were lighter than body-on-frame cars of the day though. Some might call it flimsier ;)

6. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Thanks I know. That's how I do it. Is it car specific? To be honest I've never used it up to now.[emoji16]

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

7. stonec

stonec Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gZqorjN788

Quite good "review" from ISR.

The wheel movements in Spinelli video do not look fully right to me, he only uses about 90 degrees lock-to-lock and manages to get the car into corners with that. Only time he uses more lock is to correct oversteer. Although it could be steering lock or some car setup settings which affects that, who knows.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

What you aren't seeing so much of are the throttle inputs since pedal overlay isn't activated. He's very abrupt, IMHO, so the weight transfer is sudden, and he is equally adept at catching it. Some of the oddness of his wheel movements came from running over bumps/curbs. Classic "finnish flick" made a nice spin. From the outside view, he looked smooth and collected (apart from running over the verge).

When he had a Fanatec wheel, he was experimenting with DRI mode (drift mode), which isn't necessarily linear. Don't know if he has an OSW now.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

FFB multiplier is car specific. Very car specific, so when you switch to a car in the same mod you'll have to set the FFB multiplier again.

10. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

About FFB aiding you to feel the weight transfer i have few tricks that might or might not work for you..

-If you have Logitech G27 use higher settings than 100% in Logitech Profiler in "overall strenght" (<-this might not how it is in english but you know when you see it, i use 115%) and lower multiplier ingame.

what ever wheel you are using:

- these lines in the "Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB.JSON"(or whatever wheel you are using) :

"Steering spring coefficient":0.0Y,(Y=~11% of X)
    "Steering spring saturation":0.X, (start with low values like: X=1 or 2)

For exaple:

"Steering spring coefficient":0.022
    "Steering spring saturation":0.2

These will give you some additional weight "feeling" in my experience. It's a fake effect but whatever helps you, right? test them out if you think you might benefit from it

Disclaimer: these will start to mask the real ffb as you raise then so very small increments (smaller than would seem likely) like 0.005 have an effect! Especially if you use high FFB settings.

I usually make a json for every car that i drive a lot, but it's pia. hopefully when i can upgrade my wheel i dont have to play with these anymore.

Very true!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  11. Promag

Promag Registered

Yeah they were dogs back in the day that's why nobody rodded 'em, I'd kill to have a cherry one now. Guess i'll just have fun in the rf2 mod lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  12. stonec

stonec Registered

You are probably right about the weight transfer. In particular in the first braking of that video he barely has to turn the wheel to get the car into corner, but before that he downshifts quickly, which would produce much engine braking and move most of the weight to the rear. I guess this is a bit useless speculation because we can't compare the car to real footage. Would be better to compare cars that we have onboard videos from IRL.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Up the FFB multi. and increase caster.
    That will rid you of any "lightness" in the FFB and tighten the steering significantly. :)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think it has to do with the 4 speed box as well which can make you feel out of sorts when you have turns of varying speed.

More gears the smaller speed range in every gear, in turn makes it feel more tractable at a given speed.

15. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Here's a great onboard that shows what it looks like when a driver is really pushing on older tyres (bias-ply):

The steering input is so amazingly like the Dissenter onboard posted earlier. At some corners he turns in just as a kart does and most of his steering input is counter-steering, just awesome to see.

16. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

That's the point. Sometimes I like to get into something completely different to check against my original thoughts of the original car.

17. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Engine hanging out behind the rear axle...yup. That's looks about right. Physics...

18. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I don't know what you're saying here, but I think it's a great real life to sim comparison on tyres that encourage you to push like that. I'd have posted a front engined car on old tyres if I could find one that was really pushing, but I couldn't, most drivers just don't drive them like this.

19. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAzKhtAFE80

first corner of the track is good example of how little input is needed when the weight transfer does the job for you.

Btw. just love this guy. one of my favorite drivers irl.

20. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Nice one! :cool: