Image Space Incorporated Exclusive Interview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Pretender

Pretender Registered

So you are thinking for the future and not going to abandon this game anytime soon? :) A questtion for the IS ofc :D

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's an issue with the rules, I think, more than the AI. But yes anyway.

3. Depco

Depco Registered

Thanks for the response Tim.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

So their social networking so far isn't good enough? What exactly do they need to do to "improve" their marketing?

Many people in this thread seem to have ALL the answers to ISI's "problems". It's a shame they don't run their own PC Sim Dev team to create a game like rF2... as everything would be PERFECT (apparently).

5. RG6871

RG6871 Registered

I believe hes referring to seeing your Car/Cockpit in the mirrors or rear wheels etc...

always been a important immersion factor for me!

Thanks!

6. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm a bit skeptical with paid mods going to solve anything, especially if they will not be available in Steam workshop which is now the main mod central. It's dragging rF2 towards the same territory as iRacing where you have to pay both annually and for content. It will also make finding online races even more difficult as server auto-download can't be set up for paid mods.

The number of mod makers working with rF2 is small and the number of quality mods is even smaller. I don't think this feature will bring mod makers back to rF2 if they've already settled for another platform. I'd rather like to see development effort spent elsewhere with rF2 than working on mod copy-protection systems. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and it will eventually add some value.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  7. RG6871

RG6871 Registered

Without a doubt!

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It seems almost as if people actually want traditional hyperbolic and/or dishonest marketing.
    And then of course moan and cry when they're let down by the broken promises. :D

9. 88mphTim

Not intended to solve anything except from them becoming available in rF2. I clarified this fairly well in the original Q&A really... I wouldn't read much more into it.

And, importantly, it's a good option for a team to have that may not have come along yet, or emerged as a mod group. Want to license an engine and work on that and produce content too, or produce content that you can sell to rF2 users? To give an example as the most well known, let's say URD wanted to make an addon full series for rF2, they took royalties on DLC (maybe wrong name for it, but whatever), then in future maybe were able to get financial backing to license the engine and emerge as another Reiza (or SBDT>SIMBIN>SECTOR3/Slightly Mad)... Let that sit in your head for a bit.

10. 88mphTim

I think our major social media channels are very good right now, lots of stuff posted and positive. With other things, my two other full-time roles play a part in my lack of time to do other things I would wish to.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's exactly how I see it. The possibilities would be pretty cool if there was financial return.
    Let's say you have Shadow Works doing the models, and EEC doing the models fine tuning, physics (PATR10T, ilu2404) you'd have a good GT3 mod built from scratch pretty quickly. Would be pretty cool, especially if doing this become a job, we lost our physics guy because it was taking too much from his time and his new physics were getting really good (for AMS)

12. boxer

boxer Registered

Tim could you elaborate more on this..

RD: rFactor 2 is the platform of choice for many major leagues around the globe, specifically using the endurance features within the game and making the most of real weather / day to night transition functionality. With regards to how weather is implemented in game, does the team at ISI have plans to implement things such as rain drops on windshields (physics based rendering) / aquaplaning / puddle formation etc?

TW: We’re actually looking at this again now. We haven’t decided on what features will get dropped or pushed, and which should be implemented in short order.

What color is this GP 2016 car? ;)

Considering the Daytona Prototype is being phased out in 2017 is there a chance that we wont see this car? or
    any chance we will see it while it is still racing?

What is the precision of the Rising Sun track? (Is the track based on survey data?)

At the end of the day rF2 is still the best driving/racing experience we have.... and this interview has changed none of that...

But I do understand the importance of VR for many.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

We should all be more thankful we have Gjon Camaj.

:p

14. djbob

djbob Registered

What would probably be more helpful is more people to be as thankful as we are to have Gjon (and therefore buy the damn thing) :eek:

15. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Happy it's known :)

16. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I appreciate the clear and honest answers in the RD Q&A. I want comment this line from the Q & A : "There’s no reason someone shouldn’t be able to give the community what it wants when developers aren’t able to".
    I really like this aproach and I would pay some bucks with a smile in my face if the offered content met my expectations :)
    It is sad that many people can't see the whole beauty of rF2. The reasons for that are in the meantime clear and were been sufficiently discussed.
    All in all I see the Q&A very positive. There is a lot in the pipeline.

Allow me one constructive criticism: I would appreciate to read more often interviews like this.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This sort of progression is exactly what ISI should promote. They are in a unique position to both incubate and collaborate and then later benefit from licensing this sort of endeavour. And they are open-minded enough to not have only one business model approach, so a number of possibilities could organically evolve over time. Some teams may be able to go it alone. Others may need a bit more hand-holding. ISI deserves a commensurate cut regardless if the platform that allows the mod/series/payware/independent title to flourish is theirs.

18. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Does this mean currently known studios have asked to use rf2 technology in the past but Gjon wasn't ready to license it at that time?

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Comes back to how rF2 got lambasted ( no I do not think that is too strong a word ) the first year.

Too dear, poor reviews never highlighted ISI strengths .......etc etc etc

Shiny models and puddles clearly trumps physics with the majority.

I did my own rating of all sims across 20 areas, they came out pretty even.
    rF2 topped ALL areas I care about but scored less in the others.

Can't please everyone. lol ;)

20. 88mphTim

Yes, and they all started with rF1 base due to that.