PC gaming newbie

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by VAustinElly, Mar 19, 2016.

1. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

hi all ,

I just got my first ever gaming PC a few weeks ago after being a console gamer my entire life from Atari 2600 to PlayStation 4. I have done iracing before with my last desktop PC but by no means was it a gaming PC. I purchased rfactor2 through steam last weekend because it has ovals and road racing like iracing without the price tag. My questions are many but I will start with my wheel. Currently I have only done ovals. I get how to calibrate the wheel that is not the problem, my problem areas are wheel sensitivity and ffb. If I turn the sensitivity up to anything past 0 my wheel is super twitchy where the slightest turn of it sends the car in a zig zag all the way down the straight, but at 0 sensitivity coming off the corner the car wants to pull left like alignment is off. I don't know how to fix that.

Also, I don't have the slightest clue how to modify a car as far as paint schemes go. I assume its through Dev mode but where to create, download schemes I am clueless. Any help for this newbie would be highly appreciated.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hi

Better you state new PC specs and wheel when you ask questions.

Depends on rotation of wheel, car you drive , etc.

There are many skinsets and tutorials on painting.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

4. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

MY wheel is basic. It is the Thrustmaster T100. Used to have the Logitech driving force GT but it wasn't compatible with my PS4 so I purchased a cheap replacement. MY PC specs are as follows:

MSI Gaming 970 AM3 + AMD970 SATA motherboard

AMD FX-4350 Vishera quad-core 4.2 GHz processor

G Skril Tridentx series 16gb memory stick

Seagate constellation ES.3 1TB 7200 rpm 128 cache hard drive

Zotac NVidia GeForce GT 730 4gb DDR3 video card

775 watt power supply.

Its not a top of the line system by an stretch of the imagination, but it is more than enough to do the job. As I said in the original post, I can calibrate the wheel fine, but the sensitivity aspect is driving me nuts. I don't know enough about this simulator to know where to go to help fix issues like I have.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not sure what the rotation of that is.

In rF2 settings/ control you have " Steering Wheel Range" and "Vehicle Set"

Increase the steering range and untick " Vehicle Set "

6. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

It only has a 270 degrees of rotation.

7. Traveller

Traveller Member

The pull to the left with oval set ups is there because they are designed that way.

8. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

I know they are to a point but mine is a major pull. I didn't have this problem with any other racing simulator I have done. Something is not right, it doesn't feel right at all and I'm not sure what settings I need to adjust to stabilize it.

9. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

thrustmaster wheels usually show up in rF2 with FFB direction reversed. In your player file you need to reverse the FFB strength, I dont have the file on this compy, but its a value of 10000, you need to make it -10000 and that will fix the problem.

10. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

Where is the player file? Launcher or game? I don't remember seeing it when I went into settings earlier. Another question.... Why does my calibration get lost every time I leave a track? Example: I raced apple valley earlier and the calibration held all through practice, qualifying, and the race but as soon as it was done and I left the track my wheel shot to the left meaning I had to re calibrate it.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

x:\rFactor 2\UserData\player\player.JSON

12. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

Where do I save it? I have clicked save every time I calibrate it but it never sticks. As I said in the original post I am a PC gaming newbie, only had the PC for roughly 3 weeks now and rfactor2 is totally new to me as well.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Go offline mode

Calibrate all controls

Click SAVE, save the Profile to a Custom Name and click ACCEPT.

Click LOAD

Scroll the controller profiles you should see the new custom name you just made.

Click ACCEPT again.

Now that is saved every time you boot ( unless you change the profile in Offline mode )

14. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

Where do I type that in? I downloaded the game from steam. I have been looking and trying different things for an hour and still can't find my player profile. When I typed in the line you posted my PC told me that folder doesn't exist.

15. bwana

bwana Registered

Think the steam stuff is in c:\ programs x86\steam\apps\games\rfactor or something like that. ? somebody will know for sure and post.

16. jomaho

jomaho Registered

c:\ programs x86\steam\steamapps\common\ (all your steam games are listed here)

17. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

I found that last night.... Found player on the list but when I click on it the only things that pop up are all the tracks. Not a thing about my player profile. As much as I was hoping to enjoy this game I'm reaching my breaking point. I have had all racing gamed from NASCAR 98-present, gran turismo, all the F1 games, project cars, and Iracing. Through all those years and games/simulators I have never had the issues I am having with this game.

18. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

I will give it one final go tonight. I am still hopefully. I can say this with a hint of sarcasm.... Iracing is done through PC too but I didn't have to take a computer course to learn how to change my player name, calibrate my wheel permenantly, car number, and paint scheme.