Horizon Tilt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

AC and Automobilista both have horizon tilt on by default. iRacing has an app.ini setting to adjust it. Am I missing something or where is the rF2 setting?

I generally do not like the horizon tilting relative to the cockpit view, but would like to experiment and am surprised that there does not appear to be an adjustment for this in the UI or the player file. Or I am just too dumb to find it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

SHIFT(FOV+) and SHIFT(FOV-)

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am referring to vertical horizon tilt affected by g-forces of the car.

For example, if you drive a car in AC and swerve the steering wheel back and forth while in motion, you might get sea sick from the visual appearance that the horizon is rocking back and forth while your head/eyes remain fixed in rigid attachment to the vehicle. rF2 assumes (realistically) that your head and eyes automatically adjust to keep the horizon level. An adjustment to allow users to pick what they prefer would be best, though. Whatever I think about it, a lot of people must like the horizon tilt effect because it keeps showing-up in other games/sims. I can't recall perfectly, but I thought there was an adjustment in rF1 for this? Is there any in rF2? Head movement or some aspect of it would normally be the adjustment to affect this.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Arent the vibration-multipliers the thing you are looking for?

"Car Vibration Mult1":1.00952,
    "Car Vibration Mult1#":"Primary engine vibration multiplier affects position of cameras attached directly to the car",
    "Car Vibration Mult2":1.00952,
    "Car Vibration Mult2#":"Secondary engine vibration multiplier affects orientation of cameras attached directly to the car",

"Cockpit Vibration Freq1":5,
    "Cockpit Vibration Freq1#":"Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)",
    "Cockpit Vibration Freq2":5,
    "Cockpit Vibration Freq2#":"Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation",
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult1":0.1,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult1#":"Primary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)",
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult2":0.1,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult2#":"Secondary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)",

With this setting, the horizon is more or less fixed. If you increase Cockpit vibration, horizon (picture outside cockpit) should move more.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Vibration multipliers can only eliminate artificial shake, there is no "lock to horizon" feature in rF2 like the original poster is looking for. You will always have the horizon going up and down in rF2 while the cockpit dash remains static.

6. wpthayer

wpthayer Registered

7. Tuttle

No we don't have the option because we don't see the cockpit view as a "cockpit cam" but as your eyes/head, so we have a system head/car/world which is not linked/locked as head+car+world, which is basically what you get when you use other car cams. In AC this feature is pretty much useful because standard head+car motion is way overdone as the driver looks has a spring instead of a neck. :)

Not sure there is some hack and/or plugin to get something similar.

8. Tuttle

I think he's asking for this;

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Looks like a see-saw or rocking horse. :D

10. jjcook

jjcook Registered

just curious , if you roll over doesn't the sky go upside down? - in the video , when the car rolls, it looks like it is an external camera viewing the show - not the drivers head which would be upside down if they were still in their seat .....seems like a silly effect to desire ....i dont get it :confused:

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

It also rocks perfectly like on a pendulum

Looks so lame and canned

.....imo ( what anyone else thinks I could not give a flying pig )

12. Tuttle

This is exactly the purpose of that "lock to horizon" feature and, at least when I tried AC, was set on default and I've been really sick after few laps.

It basically disconnect the head/camera from the car/world system and lock that camera to the horizon. Of course this is something absolutely wrong, but still. :)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure that's what is being asked for; the OPs second post sounds more like roll being asked for, in comparison to rF2 apparently reducing the effect (perhaps it's that spring vs neck thing again).

14. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

If your head tilts at all in a corner, it would be to the opposite side than what it does in AC. Your tilt your head into the corner to cope with the g-forces.
    Look at the (really cool) video below:

This on is maybe more clear to see what I mean:

15. Tuttle

To me it looks like he's asking for that head camera (rF2) Vs gyroscopic camera (AC) option, but I agree isn't clear. :)

16. Tuttle

That is not head tilt but Roll/Yaw. Tilt is technically called Pitch.

[​IMG]

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I guess it would be possible to make a "fatigued neck muscle" plugin, but I'm not sure there's enough demand to warrant it lol

18. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

About that AC video: Why would you want to look at your steering wheel when driving uphill?

19. Tuttle

Ah yeah, now I got what he meant with the Alonso video. Isnt that motion head plugin doing that?

20. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Misunderstanding about a misunderstanding :p. What I meant is roll indeed. In all the onboard cams you see the driver "leaning in" with his head. Like you do with your body on a motorcycle, but with your head only. It's only a few degrees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.