Multiple Internet Connections and rFactor 2 Question

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by KostasGR, Mar 17, 2016.

1. KostasGR

KostasGR Registered

Hello guys,I have a question about our tech gurus of the community.
    I have two internet connections available for my PC.One is a WIRED connection via the onboard internet card of the MOBO connected to a router,the other is a WIRELESS connection via an external internet card which i can connect to another router.So i have two networks.Active is the Wired Connection.When the Wired connection fails (i mean,the router desynchronizes),then the Wireless connection takes over it place until the Wired Connection goes back again.Then the Wired connection takes over again.
    Question: Can the below scenario work at rFactor2?
    -Join at a server with the Wired Internet Connection (Wired IP 1).
    -At the middle of the race,the Wired Connection fails (router desynchronizes) and the Wireless connection takes over for a some period of time.This will lead at a change of IP because it will take IP from the other router.(Wireless IP 1)(Change IP 1)
    -Then the Wired connection goes back again and takes over.This will lead in another change of IP.(Wired IP 2)(Change IP 2)

Can that work or because this scenario contains Changes at IP will result at a Connection Lost Message from the Server?

2. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

What happens when you test this scenario?

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Hmmm, I wonder if the game would give you a delayed Connection Lost message. It is likely the time to switch between connections will be over the server threshold of unresponsiveness.

4. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I believe Guimengo is correct ... if the IP changes during a connection im pretty sure it will need to be re connected manually, meaning re joining the server ..

5. KostasGR

KostasGR Registered

I haven't test it yet that's why i ask here,if it's worth of doing something like that.If this will lead in a Connection Lost there is no benefit of doing that.If it can be happened then you can make a network with this trick with No Connection Lost issues never...

6. Juergen Muench

Juergen Muench Registered

I guess it won´t work.

Due to issue that server will send data to your old ip adresse and except an answer from this, which he will never receive, you´ll get a disconnect.

Server does not work with your driver name or a other rfactor 2 information.
    Short, communication between server and client work on ip adresse first. Then there is a software assignement ip : port to software and finaly data transfer.

But If it works, it would be awesome to hear about it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2016
  7. KostasGR

KostasGR Registered

Doing the test when i was connected to a Teamspeak Server....No problems rather than the change of the IP's...But other thing is the TS and another thing is rFactor...I will try to test it sooner or later and report.
    Thank you guys for your answers;

8. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Why not? It's so easy to test.

9. KostasGR

KostasGR Registered

I test it and i get a connection lost...If there was a way to give my PC Static Public IP and use it by both networks maybe that would work...But according to my knowledge this can't happen because two different networks (which belong in two different ISP's) can't have the same Public IP either its IPv4 or IPv6.
    So it's a failure...