Who's getting VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hectari, Mar 12, 2016.

?

VR: are you in, out or somewhere in between?

1. Pre-ordered Oculus Rift

36 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Pre-ordered HTC Vive

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Pre-ordered both Rift and Vive

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Will buy VR when rF2 supports it

25 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Need to upgrade my PC first, but will get VR when I can

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Not interested in VR

23 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. I've tried VR and it is not for me

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. I've not tried VR but I think it is not for me

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Will wait until it is cheaper for VR/upgrades needed

22 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. Will wait until VR tech is more developed

30 vote(s)
    17.3%
  11. I have concerns about the health implications of VR use

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

Had no intention of "comparing apples to apples" and it has little to do with immersion, but it seems you missed my point. In 3-5 years I would think that VR devices don't even make up 5-10% of monitor and TV purchases let alone "significant portion" as you say. You mention my use of 3d tv's comparing it to VR...and you just compared VR headsets to cellphones and you consider that "apples to apples"?

2. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

So VR is going to be "mainstream" because of racing sims? OK then.

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

VR is going to be mainstream because it is amazing. It provides the highest possible immersion. I have seen 3dtv with glasses and it sucks compared to VR. It simply doesn't get you anywhere.

I didn't say it will become mainstream because simracing but in simracing. It will just be part of the many arcade racing titles, flying simulators, RPG, adventure games, and others where VR fits best. The unexplored possibilities are huge.

We are just starting. ..

Enviado desde mi SM-T530 mediante Tapatalk

4. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

I certainly don't want to set a precedent by this statement, but, I would, without question, pay ISI up to twice the cost of my existing RF2 lifetime license if it meant OpenVR implementation would happen.

As stated above, although with the Vive we now have room based VR which is awesome... seated experiences are a prime candidate for VR technology, requiring minimal effort for integration.

Would be great if ISI would sit down and all experience some of the existing titles and their implementations (iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, LiveForSpeed etc). I am fairly sure that within moments there would be no question around implementing VR support into RF2, even moreso RFPro and other titles which no doubt will soon see teams adopt the technology for training and practice.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Whilst i would love for ISI to implement VR compatibility into their engine (as i'm a big advocate of the tech), i can think of many possible reasons for why many racing teams would not want to use said technology (at least not in it's current form).

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

See this thread for latest infos:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14441-Rf2Rift-rFactor2-Oculus-Rift-Plugin-and-Tools

TL;DR: Not good enough. Graphics wise probably ok after some tweaking, but headtracking is not ok. I've written a rf2 headtracking plugin with SDK 1.3 this week which works nice, but Oculus prevents two applications (vorpx and plugin) using their API at the same time.

-> 3rd party rift support is dead, this time it is up to ISI!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2016
  8. elbo

elbo Registered

Crap...i guess we will need to go get our VR/simracing fix elsewhere. Thanks for making the effort Vittorio.

9. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

Have you considered using OpenVR instead? It supports both devices... I am hoping this is what ISI would look into. Pretty sure vorpx is almost working with Vive well now.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  10. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

If you are comfortable with the idea, can you ask Ralf to integrate your plugin into VorpX?

11. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I don't see why this should work. OpenVR is only a wrapper around Oculus SDK afaik. I don't have a Vive to develop for (exclusively).

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

It could work if Ralf provides an API for plugins using vorpx headtracking data. Maybe something exists already. I'm going to ask Ralf ...
    (or maybe ISI wants to work with Ralf to improve headtracking .. but in the end this would only be a half solution. ISI has the possibility to create a full solution)

13. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

That is correct. OpenVR SDK is valves implementation of an open source VR API (and wrapper) which is designed to accommodate all VR hardware including their own, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and many other 'economy' HMD's out there.

Ultimately means less work for anybody integrating or developing around VR because you do not need to worry about supporting multiple API's and hardware platforms/limiting yourself to specific hardware. OpenVR will do the work for you meaning less effort and broader hardware support out of the box from a single API.

(You wont have to worry about 'exclusively developing for X')

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr

*I love your plugin, have been using it for a long time now, however I would love ISI to implement native support and I believe that OpenVR is a way for them to do that. It will certainly eliminate a lot of the gripes they had with OculusSDK. I am dieing to race RF2 in my Vive, the increased resolution has just got VR over the line and provides enough clarity that I personally would be using VR for all my league races, if I could...

14. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'd pay too. Maybe not twice the price but I'd pay something for their effort. It is afterall above and beyond the scope of the initial product.

15. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Not liking current VR headsets because of the different problems they have right now is totally fine. However, not seeing the potential awesomeness that awaits us once all of them are solved, IS actually being really short sighted.

How many people you think that tried Oculus DK1 and thought it was crap, now think the CV1 is awesome? I've already read quite a lot of people saying that, and that is the pure definition of being short sighted.

Many of us believers also saw the DK1 was crap by itself, but it was an idea. And now, CV1 still has problems. But we can see past that, and what VR will become. And it's going to be awesome

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ok man, not going to repeat myself for the 3rd time, if you don't read posts then I wont bother to reply, both happy :)

17. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

18. halono

halono Registered

I could have waited for VR to be more mature, but then again - I'm getting older and I'm living NOW :) I don't want to wait for another 10 years when I'm getting old and barf in each turn because my body no longer reacts good to VR :)

19. djbob

djbob Registered

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

This is old Oculus Rift SDK + Tridef + Rf2Rift plugin. Does not work with Oculus Rift CV1 (and HTC Vive).