Who's getting VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hectari, Mar 12, 2016.

?

VR: are you in, out or somewhere in between?

1. Pre-ordered Oculus Rift

36 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Pre-ordered HTC Vive

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Pre-ordered both Rift and Vive

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Will buy VR when rF2 supports it

25 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Need to upgrade my PC first, but will get VR when I can

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Not interested in VR

23 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. I've tried VR and it is not for me

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. I've not tried VR but I think it is not for me

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Will wait until it is cheaper for VR/upgrades needed

22 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. Will wait until VR tech is more developed

30 vote(s)
    17.3%
  11. I have concerns about the health implications of VR use

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Not tried it yet then?

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Nope, didn't say that at all. What I said is that the basic tech & applications for VR were already imagined & established in the '80s. All of the applications you mention for VR were already mentioned back then. VR is old-hat in the same way that a CPU on a chip is old-hat. All the recent VR "tech" has been to make them faster and smaller and higher resolution and cheaper... which is typical of the product maturation cycle rather than the technology cycle.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Of course not. Even if it suddenly left me lusting after yet another piece of hardware, it'd be several years before I'd spring for it because it's not really essential to the experience and I've got better ways to spend money. Prices will come down, quality will improve, de facto standards will emerge...so I can wait.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

That is true but to downplay virtual reality at this stage without trying it is a bit naive. Now of course virtual reality has a long way to go before it hits mainstream but I think this time it has more potential than it did before. I agree with you that is worth waiting until the technology comes down in price and improves technically before jumping on the bandwagon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Technology is finally there for VR to take off, and that was because of the smartphone market emerging and enabling cheap small screens, gyroscopes and the such. This is the first time the average consumer will be able to buy a VR headset for less than a grand that doesn't suck. VR in the 90s not only sucked, but it wasn't even remotely affordable.

The most important thing is, the numbers you can see in this poll are the worst you will ever see against VR. Us who have been infected with VR awesomeness won't let it go, ever. We know how incredible VR racing is, and specially will be in a few years, that we won't even look at monitors for anything else than Windows navigation. When most people have tried VR because it's there to try at every shopping center, the results of polls like this one will be overwhelming, and devs ignoring VR for such things as simulators will be left behind. Obviously we haven't reached that point yet and right now I understand ISI position on this, but it doesn't make it less disappointing. I was really hoping to go back to league racing with RF2 but sadly it will have to be with another sim, even if it is less realistic physics wise. VR more than makes up for that difference, and most people that try racing with the Rift CV1 or the Vive will agree

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I understand your argument (I think few people actually wouldn't like VR), but this poll would look worse if the thread wasn't called "Who's getting VR?" It doesn't exactly drag in people who aren't interested (at the moment) in getting VR :) (but it would surely attract people who are)

7. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

And I get your point, but I am talking about the future of VR as a whole, not only regarding this poll. As someone pointed out before, the most important thing is that the majority of people who have tried it, want it. It is only a matter of time when most people have tried it, and if the statistic stands (and I think it will), we will be looking at something entirely different than now

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I agree, with more developed VR the possibilities open up. But I remain sceptic of VR becoming a big deal on the mass market. Not so much because tech, but because practical usage, I don't see it being adopted by families an-mass. So in that respect the 3D movie example was not that far off, people just didn't want it in their homes.
    Facebook is pouring millions into OR but that cannot last another 5 years in development, at some point something gonna give? Not sure if the things we have pointed out so far are enough to cover those costs.
    Its best bet in that department is Gaming, but despite how awesome it seems it is very much a conservative market, I don't trust its flexibility one bit :)

No worries man, I wasn't offended at all :)

9. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Something tells me your a conservative.

I get a kick out of your post sometimes durge, lol!

10. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I have a Vive on order, regardless if Rfactor 2 supports it. I also run DCS simulations as well as AC. It will have use. I really do hope Rfactor 2 gets some sort of support. Stockcar mod + VR = Divorced, lol.

11. Ferly

Ferly Registered

Some people are blowing this thing way out of proportion. Hardly anyone voted against VR, the question was who gets it right away. You make it sound like a war against it is going on here. Wait for it to reach proper market penetration, in 2-3 years this whole thing wont even be a question anymore. Its still very early days for the VR revolution.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  12. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Its a money pit, just like all other things hardware related, no investment, always losing value. All comes down to how much you want to throw in.

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

"GDC State of the Industry:

VR's popularity is growing fast, though PC and mobile are still the top platforms among developers

The emergence of upcoming virtual reality (VR) devices like the Oculus Rift, Sony's PlayStation VR and Samsung's Gear VR, among others, has proven to be alluring for developers on the bleeding edge, with the survey revealing that development of VR titles has more than doubled among participating developers.

This year's survey has shown that 16 percent of developers are currently creating titles for VR, up from the 7 percent of developers who replied in the affirmative in last year's survey. Projecting further into the future, 15 percent of participating developers have affirmed that their next game will incorporate VR, up from the 6 percent who affirmed their VR ambitions last year.

The platform wars continue unabated, with 52 percent of developers currently working on a game for PC, down from 56 percent from last year. 44 percent of developers are currently working on smartphone and tablet games, down from the 50 percent of developers working on these titles last year.

Most game makers believe VR/AR is a sustainable business, but 27 percent don't believe VR/AR device adoption will ever match current console install-base

Still in its infancy, the current generation of VR/AR platforms has garnered strong developer confidence, with 75 percent of respondents agreeing that VR/AR is a long-term sustainable business to be in.

Despite this growing confidence, developers disagree on the future sales rates for these devices. When asked when they believe VR/AR devices will exceed the adoption rate (roughly 40 percent) of game consoles in the U.S. in 2015, 27 percent of respondents said they didn't believe VR/AR hardware would ever surpass that level of adoption. Just 1 percent of those surveyed said they expected it to happen by 2018, the earliest time period available for selection. 44 percent of respondents expected it to happen by 2026, and a total of 54 percent believed it would happen by 2030.

In a separate, more conservative VR/AR install base question, 38 percent of respondents predicted that VR/AR hardware would be in 10 percent of U.S. households by 2020. 86 percent figure it'll happen by 2030, and roughly 9 percent figure it will never happen."

:)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Indeed. Last time i tried pcars (although some time ago) physics were **** ... lets say very improvable. No alternative.

What is left are AC and iRacing with VR support. iRacing seems to be still busy with DX11 port, AC seems busy with console market adoption. But I'm very confident they will have support soon for CV1 and I will move to one of those, probably both (already have AC and some iRacing content).

Even experimental support (take it as it is, no guarantee, no support) for only basic VR implementation in rf2 would be great. Because of physics and realistic rendering in rF2 without unneeded special fx . rF2 rendering in VR is perfect. Most impressive experience was a league race in corvette at sebring at night with rf2 in VR (3rd party hacks).

And experimental support would be useful to see VR flaws in car models and tracks for ISI contents and mods like: Near turning billboard trees are a no go in VR because in VR they are really turning billboards. Drivers sometimes have clowns shows and hands. Drivers elbows sometimes are 1cm thick. Mirrors should be rendered from drivers eyes and with perspective ... All things you see in VR - which will take time for new and old mods. It's not like you invest 2 month implementation for VR and everything is perfect. Modders need time too - so at least starting with experimental support would be a good thing (like iRacing and AC did 1-2 years ago)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You made my day. I could not stop laughing for ten minutes.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

18. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

When sims have all introduced grid girls as good as iRacing's new lolipop-man:

https://youtu.be/aaM7cRoaoX8

..then you naysayers will be sorry. Hey, some of you may even like the lolipop-man :)

Not sure it'll make anyone faster though… I mean in terms of driving. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  19. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Here's my story , have Rf2 since begining of time, love it, played a lot.
    Mid 2015 bought a DK2 , tried ac , mind blowing .. but tires felt made of wood... but .. spent more time playing than EVER.
    Tried all hacks and Vittorio´s tutorial to make RF2 usable with VR but I had no success, something wrong with the merging of both eyes.
    Then i sold the Dk2 awaiting for Cv1 .. never ran ac again but i use rf2 like 2 or 3 hours a week, my rig started collecting dust.

Background, never enjoyed and spent much time simracing as when i had the DK2. Without it i fell like racing thru a 24" spyhole.

As my Cv1 arrives in July.. i ended buying another DK2, will play ac , but would LOVE to play Rf2 in VR, that's why i keep coming here, always with the hope of reading some good news about VR coming.

20. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Assetto Corsa forum had a vote. Question by Lord Kunos (Stefano):

If YOU were the AC Lead Designer, what would be your #1 priority for next update?
    Poll closed Saturday at 9:59 AM.

Brake temp simulation..........................................846 vote(s) 17.7%
    *VR support .....................................................1,195 vote(s) 25.0%
    Steer ratio/brake pressure setup adjustments............236 vote(s) 4.9%
    False starts/Engine stall.........................................932 vote(s) 19.5%
    Custom championships..........................................368 vote(s) 7.7%
    Possibility to change skin in "Pickup Mode"................124 vote(s) 2.6%
    Sparks/Flashing lights............................................205 vote(s) 4.3%
    Improved water/radiators interaction and simulation...221 vote(s) 4.6%
    Time based races ..................................................217 vote(s) 4.5%
    Pit stop strategy....................................................457 vote(s) 9.6%

Purpose was to see how players' opinions differ from what the devs think. Quite a lot, he admits.