Realroad implementing help

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Manuel Biancolilla, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Manuel Biancolilla

Manuel Biancolilla Registered

Hi everyone, my first time writing here.
    I was trying to convert a rf1 track and then implement real road, but i have a problem doing it.
    Track is succesfully converted , but after i implement real road , that's how it appears View attachment 19457
    any suggestion?

2. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

try changing the Ch1 multi map bias to 10.00000

3. Manuel Biancolilla

changed map bias to 10.00000 for everychannel and worked, but it doesn't show racegroove and marbles as it should.
    and another thing is that when i change map bias it won't save in 3dsimed, so when i load the track it's the same as before

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

You can preview both the groove and marbles inside 3dsimed (there is a slider on bottom of page where you edit realroad materials). If it doesn't show groove/marbles in 3dsimed, then something is either wrong with the texture or UV scale.

5. Manuel Biancolilla

how should i fix uv scale? (as i'm using isi's textures) the other thing is also that 3dsimed won't save bias, it is constantly 0

6. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

In 3dSimEd UV scale is relative to the first channel, so when you change it in first channel, others change accordingly.

And you can change Bias, but to save it you have to save (Export) all objects containing the material you have change, you can't save materials as they're inside objects. So the quickest way after changing a material is:

1.- Display - Material Filter and mark just this material.

2.- Edit - All Visible - Objects - Copy.

3.- Home - New - Edit - Paste - Objects and then you have a new tab with all onjects containing the changed material, the you just need to export this objects overwriting the old ones and it's done.

Just take in mind that when you export objects a new _output.scn is written so if you want to keep your current _output.scn, rename it first. If you're using a .scn with any other name, don't care about it.

7. Manuel Biancolilla

i'm doing as you said but bias is always 0. i did the same as you even before btw

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Bias should never be anything above 0 for any channel, in fact most rF1 tracks use negative values like -3 for bias. In rF2 tracks bias should almost always be set to 0, because Anisotropic filtering takes care of the sharpening. So you are changing something that doesn't need to be changed in first place, probably 3dsimed doesn't support saving positive values for bias.

What you need to do is edit the UV scale as mentioned, there is a button on top of same page where you can do it.

9. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

As per above,

You will need to edit the UVSCALE - right click on your object and select its material.. In the window at the top right hover over the icons to UVScale, you will need to select Channel 0 to edit the road texture and change it to how you want it.
    View attachment 19475

This will change the objects material details in 3dsimed (the mapping on the object).. You will then need to "Export" the object back into your track folder (Overwrite the GMT) with the updated uvmap version.The GMT file contains your object XYZ points, Polygons and all material mapping details.

(A UVMap) is the XY mapping of a texture onto an object.. (how it is aligned and positioned on an object) UVScale, will scale the texture on that object.. (Selecting 0.5 will halve it Make it bigger), selecting (2) will double the mapping scale (Effectively making it smaller) doing it by 0.1 or 10 will do the same but 10x.

Note: Scale will be at zero next time you load the object in as 3dsimed assumes what you loaded in is zero scaled. So dont look for the change in the object.. it should visually load in differently if you exported it over the old version of that object. Channel 1,2 and 3 will remember the details as they are a scale of channel zero.. so if you make 0 ten times smaller, but want to keep channel 1 the same you will need to make it bigger to offset.

If you wish to then edit other channels on the race surface and edit them you will need to do the same channel for the other underlying levels (Ie realroad level and marbles layers)
    Details of the channels for road below (from TrackTechology V3)

(Now looking at this - i suspect channel zero is a global scale) where you maybe able to edit channel 1,2 and 3 directly and they will retain their scale in relation to channel zero... so you could leave channel zero and just edit channel 1,2,3 accordingly. (i would need to test this)

View attachment 19474

As an alternative, you can export the road object into a 3d editor format, edit it, load it into GJEd and export a new GMT - Which is much easier and you can edit it visually and look at the results.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016
  10. Manuel Biancolilla

Thank you, it works in that way. But is there a way to modify uv scale for marbles' channel? It's channel 5

11. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

It is the 5th channel.. but it uses the XY mapping coordinates on channel (1) - IE the multimap mapping coordinates... (see the list of texture levels and channels above) - It is listed as channel 2, but 3dsimed starts channel numbering at 0.. so its channel 1.

It shares the same UVmapping coords as the multimap and specular map.. The problem you may incur is that when the track was modelled that channel may have been scaled for the texture that was applied.. and you may find that may not suit the marbles texture .. unless they are same dimensions and drawn to same scale.

So if you edit channel 1, you will see both the multimap, specular map and marbles map all scale the same.

Dave

12. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

It is the 5th texture layer... but it uses the mapping on channel (1) in 3dsimed... (see the list of texture levels and channels above) - It is listed as channel 6, mapping coords of channel 2 (That is 3dsmax), but 3dsimed starts channel numbering at 0.. so its channel 5 with mapping coords of channel 1.

It shares the same UVmapping coords as the multimap and specular map.. The problem you may incur is that when the track was modelled that channel may have been scaled for the texture that was applied.. and you may find that may not suit the marbles texture .. unless they are same dimensions and drawn to same scale.

Dave

13. Manuel Biancolilla

ok, now i have another problem. apparently groove won't appear on track. i am trying with barbers , road scale x15 , doing 10 laps but no groove. if i set up groove from editor in the upper left it works tho

14. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Did you add alpha channels to the diffuse map ? If you are doing a conversion.. the texture likely doesnt have an alpha channels. You will need to load it into editor and save them it again as DXT5 Alpha.

I am assuming you have changed all the gmt prefixes to racesurface_ etc.. for all the GMT.

D

15. Manuel Biancolilla

maybe that's the alpha channels cuz gmt are named as said

16. Manuel Biancolilla

tried adding alpha channels, but still not seeing groove on track. it only works if i set manual groove in the editor

17. Manuel Biancolilla

FIXED:sort of fixed, groove appears in the entire corner , not in ideal fast path , and it should be darker

the last thing that is making me crazy are reflections , i did set up them in scn as wrote in the pdf talking about track technology. They works, but in a strange way: i can only see them correctly when i go below the road in 3dsimed, they won't show above
    View attachment 19515

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  18. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Ok, i am guessing your track topology is bad (the mesh).. realroad works by keeping data on the polygon you drive over... the more you drive over it the more the track gets coloured in.. (Simple terms).

If you have very detailed track mesh, it will then mean it can colour in exactly where you drive
    if you have poor or low track mesh, it will colour in the polygons, but if they stretch right across the track, this would mean the whole track colours in. (Which sounds like what your saying)

The only fix is to edit your track mesh and make more polygons (in a 3d editor program)

Good Track - Track mesh split 6-7 polys across - more the better but too much will kill framerate
    View attachment 19516

Bad track - 1 polygon side to side
    View attachment 19517

19. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

As for reflections - you will need to set up reflection planes.. you can use a global plane.. but if your track has any kind of altitude then it will reflect differently at different elevations.

The only way to fix it is to manually build them... Unfortunately i have no idea where to start on this (As i have a similar issue in my track).. I will have to load it into max and create reflect planes and export.. and or create them manually.
    Hopefully someone else can guide you on a easier fix.. ??? and i can learn too.

20. Manuel Biancolilla

Thank you for the help :)