Max Headlights issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enetmo, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Its the URD EGT and PX Mod. I don´t know anything about headlight mesh. Have to ask URD i think. But i don´t think that its mod related because i testet it with the ISI Camaro on ISI Silverstone and the performance decrease was massive. Even with only 15 visible cars the frames droppend down to 30, with 6 cars i got lowest 40.
    Daylight racing is no problem but the night performance especially when the sun goes down is very difficulty with 3 screens so there is no other way except deactivating HDR, reducing the resolution to 3800x800 or somewhat. I would prefer to deactivate the headlights of the others cars oder a 4 times faster GPU, but thats not on the market.:D I hope for the next generation. Maybe its 2 times faster than Titan X.

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yeah, looks your system can't handle.

May I ask your system specs (please guys put it on your account) and if you are overriding graphics settings via inspector and/or CP?

I'm not saying I've a solution....but 60 to 30fps drop because of headlights sounds a bit odd to me.

3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Intel Core I7 3770kK @4,5GHZ
    16GB 2400mhz Ram
    AMD 7970OC @1200mhz.
    5040x1050 triple screen resolution.
    I am using AIDA 64 on my Logitech G19 display and i can see nearly 100% GPU usage.

I know its not the fastest GPU but i compared it with a 970GTX with a pal and we reached nearly the same frames with identical settings, so its not an AMD related problem.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Headlight mesh ? There is absolutely NO difference in amount of rendered polygons of a car, whether it's lights are on or off - it simply selects another texture in the "animation". Only difference is the activation/deactivation of the headlight spots defined in the .GEN file.

Only options, beside visible cars, are to turn down track and vehicle details to medium or even low, to reduce the polycount all together. Also there is an option in the player.json whether headlights should illuminate other cars, it looks silly with it off but can make a huge difference on FPS.

That said, running tripples on either 7970 or 970 is rather optimistic.

Ohh, and VEC headlights (modified URD cars) are specially strong with the purpose of annoying HDR OFF users - since they are never really experiencing the true struggle of driving in the night.

- VEC modder, out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
  5. Tuttle

I was asking if the mod has headlight glare/flare/glow planes, not just headlight....like those Tosch did for The GT mod. Those are not Fps free.

6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

They do use the flare shaders, yes. But same deal, they are being rendered whether "on" or "off", just other texture (alpha black/alpha white) active.

And I doubt they are much more fps-costly than a stamp vertex tree. It's basicly a billboard where it's size depends on view angle.

7. Tuttle

No. Those I'm talking about are not like billboards (they are group of planes per lamp) and they hit FPS a lot because if you have a good bunch of cars in the same frustum, it's a fest of tris with transparency applied, popping on/off.

BTW, the guy said he has he same problem with ISI cars, and reducing details doesn't fix. Means has nothing to do with these things.

8. McFlex

McFlex Registered

May i hop in and ask how to deactivate this kind of "not fps free" glare/flare/glow headlights (URD EGT Mod)? Would it work by just deleting the entries in the .gen file or is there more to be done?

9. Tuttle

I didn't say this is the cause. :)

I asked about that in the previous page;

"You should find the offender, or at least the bigger one. I don't know details about that mod but may be they are using some headlight mesh flare with lot of vertex?"

As I remember Tosch saying he was getting BIG drops when experimenting with those glare effects, I just asked if this mod had similar headlight tricks.

Don't want to disinfo people about URD mods. As I said, I didn't know details about that mod and this is why I was asking. :)

10. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

We have been using them for years, if set up correctly they are harmless.

I can see that he says he was using 15 planes PER light, that's just silly - you only need one, two if you want dimmed daylight effect.

And still, the "FPS-hit " would be constant.

11. Tuttle

Ok, now we know this is not the case. Move on.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

This *might* have worked in rF1. In rF2 if you modify even one file the mod is broke and you need to package a new one, which won't let you join online if others are using the old mod.

13. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You'd need to edit the headlight GMTs, remove those planes.

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Sure (y)

15. JUANCHIOOO

JUANCHIOOO Banned

ye diverted the thread, which was referred to the deactivation lights of other vehicles, and running down my frames and slowed down.......

the pc is not a dinosaur, but the graph is limited, and turn off the lights of other cars waiting for me to go help fluid without HDR and well frames

the question was really for disabling lights all vehicles because Enetmo asked the question for me, thank you very much

pd.- the wrong optimized HDR.............I prefer to disable the HDR also...........................I can not have the chart that I want for my

16. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Sidenote: FPS dropping from 60 to 30 will happen when using vsync, when the game can't deliver atleast 60 fps.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Well to summarize what has been mentioned in this thread, the solutions are:

1. Disable HDR (and deal with ugly graphics and headlights visible in daylight)
    2. Buy new PC
    3. Wait for ISI to provide the option back to adjust number of headlights...

18. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The Vsync is an adaptive one, 33, 54,45 fps and so on are possible too,

19. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

VSync CAN be Adaptive.

20. Andregee

Andregee Registered

its adaptive, RFactor2 related