3 flat panel angle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keyloki, Feb 16, 2016.

1. keyloki

keyloki Registered

My next major upgrade is moving from a single 40" flat panel to a 42" flat panel between 2 40" flat panels. I am fabricating a desk top mount that will be very adjustable, including angle between each, heighth and spread. However, I am curious what angle the side panels should be at. I'm sure with the adjustability that I'm including, I will just set mine up to look and function the way that works best for myself but what are some of the angles others with multiview are using? I would think 45 degrees may be too much?

Thanx for any input.
    :cool:

2. stonec

stonec Registered

With multiview setting OFF angle should be 0 degrees. With multiview ON 45 degrees. These are theoretically the correct values. If you have multiview ON you can fine-tune the exact angle to whatever you want with the in-game multiview adjustment tool.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

With multiview on it depends on your FOV (maybe 45°, but probably not). Just use the in-game tool.

*Note: a number of people using triples on the desktop or similar just turn the outside screens until it 'feels right', often without having proper FOV set up on their centre screen (so everything is 'wrong', technically). If that works for you then just do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  4. Redpxl

Redpxl Registered

Math to the rescue! (found on iRacing forums post by David Tucker)

To calculate the optimum monitor angle (and still the correct formula use for rF1 and GSC)
    This assure you are in fact using your monitor to their full potential keeping the 2 side monitor properly aligned with your eyes
    Remember to put them as close as you physically can to cover as much FOV as possible while keeping it comfortable for your eyes.

2*atan(monitor width/(2*viewing distance)) = degree

just enter your monitor width and viewing distance, then copy paste in google search bar and hit enter, it should give you the result.

Exemple (in mm)
    monitor width = 640mm
    viewing distance = 550mm

2*atan(640/(2*550)) = degree
    Result after copy paste full line above in google is 60.3832459 degree (my current set-up)

other exemple to get the 45 degrees side monitors
    2*atan(640/(2*770)) = 45.1340182 degree

So as you can see optimal degree change depending on distance from your eyes

Use the in game calculator to get the proper FOV for your set-up after.

5. keyloki

keyloki Registered

Thanx Redpxl.

Asked and answered perfectly....Ive tried a couple different formulas with this and it has me pointed in the direction I was already heading.

6. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I'm curious about the opinions of others...I have three screens and use the AMD Eyefinity application to give 5900x1080 and don't use multiview. One of the reasons I do this is so every game is triple screen. My monitors are at 45. So what's the +/- of video card triples versus multiview?

7. keyloki

keyloki Registered

Thats a great question BoothJoe.... I am currently running to AMD R7 cards but am upgrading to two R9 card for triple screen. I run rF2 and occasionally Pcars (now and then RaceRoom). Whats the best way to set these up? Eyefinity, Multiview or in game with FOV, or even Windowed at what ever is required? Whats everyone else using?

8. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Just for informational purposes, I run three cheap AOC monitors on one R9 380. I run graphics features at "high" and typically get 60 FPS (it will dip to 45 in the pits) and get up to about 90 at times on track. My Dell motherboard has only one PCIe16 so I'm kind of stuck for now.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

If you're not using multiview, then your monitors should be in a flat plane to avoid distortion. In rF2, by avoiding multiview, you gain 20-30% fps.

Multiview renders separate images so the view isn't warped when you angle the monitors. That allows you to see out your side windows and see cars coming next to you sooner than the flat plane does. Really makes ovals impressive, with the crowd staring down into your car.

10. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I'll have to give 0 degrees a try and see if it makes a difference to me. I've gotten used to the distortion. Since I wear glasses, there's some distortion there anyway.

11. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

I have found with the last four or five builds of rF2 the image is very smooth all the way down to 30 fps. Go multiview; I think you will like it.

12. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I tried it and didn't see enough of a difference for me to want to change. I found the motion choppier, but that could be all in my head because I knew and could see that my FPS were lower. The sideview mirrors were better but on a 1080 depth monitor I can't use them anyway with the ASR 1991 cars. I either have to scrunch down so low in the cockpit that I can't see the track in front of me or I have to ignore the mirrors.