Track Example

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by wizzfactor2, Feb 15, 2016.

1. wizzfactor2

wizzfactor2 Registered

Is it possible for ISI to post a new track example for Rfactor 2 with new level track edge meshes with blended textures, please :)

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

A new Track Section example should be added to Dev Corner soon, in Max 2010+ format.

3. wizzfactor2

wizzfactor2 Registered

Thank you very much :)

4. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

and a FBX version with a gjed file?

Any one can open the FBX with their own moddeling program of choice and see how it's moddeled, UV mapped and vertex colored.
    In GJED we can see how materials, instances etc... are set. (Not all settings are shown if i open a ISI track .scn file with GJED.)

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

2016 Track Section Example (Max2010+) has been added to Dev Corner.
    FBX ... I'll think about it when I have some time :) .

6. wizzfactor2

wizzfactor2 Registered

Thank you :)

7. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

hopefully encourage modders , hopefully a standard Spa RF2

8. monoplazas_RR

monoplazas_RR Registered

Many modders are quite tired of a community that overwhelmingly does not deserve a minute of our effort. Unfortunately this is something that we have learned from the experience and it is very disheartening.

There are few grateful people in the simracing community and many who do not deserve anything.

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

+1
    Maybe someone could export it to fbx format and share it in this thread.
    Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
  10. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks Luc :)

12. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

I've tried. I load the example in 3dMax 2010 (I did it in another computer as I haven't the program and I don't want download an illegal copy) and what I saw is a corner of a track in wireframe view. Then I tried to export to FBX but it hangs.

My very first time with 3dMax has been very frustrating, so if someone can link a FBX version, I could open it with other software.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
  13. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

You probably use old (default) 3dsmax FBX plugin, which will crash. Google new version of FBX installation package of your 3ds max version, install it and try again.

14. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Wasn´t that always the case??? Was the same in rF1-days and on many other mod-platforms: moaning, whining, forcing. Nothing new!
    Modders have to deal with it and shouldn´t think too deep about some comments. Otherwise they should find another hobby....

16. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

Thanks, but it didn´t worked. I've downloaded and installed the plugin, but it crash at the same point.

I've never use 3dMax, and I just try to open the example and save as FBX as some users asked for, just because I had some free minutes to do it, but I think is not as simple as I thought.

Sorry, but the users should wait until Luc or anybody else have time to do something I can't do.

Then I'll be able to see the example model with other software I do know how to use. :(

17. Tuttle

Problem is releated to the fact the track sample is ready to be exported with the 3dsMax plugin. Before using the FBX exporter you need to convert back those mesh to be used with the FBX protocol. To do this you need the standard 3DsMax plugin, for 2010, then;

1) Open the 2016 track sample
    2) Select all mesh
    3) Go in the GMT exporter and in the Main Control section (on top of the exporter), click on Convert To Standard Mats.
    4) Now, with all mesh selected, right click and go down in the right menu -----> convert to Editable Mesh
    5) Now you can export to a FBX scene
    6) Open GJED, check the Swap Y/Z axes and load the FBX scene

Let me know if it's working

18. Tuttle

This is the FBX version of the 2016 track sample we released in .max format, take it as an experimental release to see if it's working for everybody. Then, if it's working properly we can release it in the official Dev corner area. It has all textures used in the sample, and the FBX scene. This way you can train yourself by relinking all mats and preparing a scene.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0bvael2btu54nc/ISI_TrackSection_2016_FBX.zip?dl=0

19. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Works with Maya 2016. Vertex colors are there...

But there are a lot of UV sets.

View attachment 19400
    [​IMG]

As far as i understood from Luc: The rF2 shaders makes use off maximum 4 UV sets. And it seems to work like that.
    It is a bit of trail and error to see what texture belongs to what UV set. But with with a checker pattern texture and 4 very different UV sets on a simple poly plane, it easy to see what texture is using what UV set and which ones are shared in GJED.

And as far as i understood UV sets are not the same as 3ds max UVchannels.
    Blender and Maya make use of UV sets.

Anyway when i load your FBX in GJED and apply the real road schader:
    UV set 1, 3, 4, 2 are used. So order is mixed up too. The Spline mapped UV set 3 and planar mapped set 2 are swapped.
    View attachment 19401
    [​IMG]

But I know how to fix it in Maya, because i've been there before. ;)
    After deleting the double UV sets and put them in the correct order. (order upon creation is more important then the name or number)

View attachment 19402
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  20. andreaglass

andreaglass Registered

Everything worked until the Exporter say 'Out of memory'.

I'll try the FBX version, and when I have some time I'll try to learn something about 3dMax.

My problem is I'm too busy making tracks that I don't have time to learn 3dMax. I bought MMTools more than one year ago, and I hadn't time to learn how to use them. Even I've spent 15 minutes to find the GMT exporter, as I had to check all menu options one by one, and when I couldn't see enithing, I tried an icon with a hammer and the a button with the word 'More' and there I've found somtething called GMT Convert 2.5.

I learned track modding using Google Earth, 3d Route Builder, BTB, 3dSimEd, Sketchup and lots of work to do things maybe easier to do with other software, and I'm now doing so many tracks that I can't find the time to start to learn another software.