Failure probability

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by bhendrik, Feb 4, 2016.

1. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

Last week i did a 10 hour endurance race at COTA with URD PX and EGT, combined with the Flat6. I had a terrific race mainly due to the sublime physics, the day to night transition, awesome ai en some great mods. After 10 hours of racing with 27 ai and my personal ai-codriver i was just wondering about 1 thing. At the end of the race there were only 2 non finishers, one ai ran out of fuel and the other had an accident.

Then i rememberd that in Geoff Grammonds GP2 ( yes old school) you had a probability in an editor to set the mechanical failure probability. Don't know if this is correct (was a ling time ago) but in my memory you could set this as a percentage, like 20% . Son in theory there was a 20% change you would not see the checkered flag due to a waterlekage or other mishap.

It would be great if we could set that too in rfactor2. For example in the launcher when creating virtual drives. After you create your virtual dives you can edit the ai, why not give a probability to set a technical failure probability for each virtual driver/car.

Possible failues ( don't have to be fatale)
    Flat tire
    Broken radiator
    Boken suspension
    Electrical problems

It would realy ad something for endurance racing, create even more immersion.

Really don't know if this at all possible, but i wish it was.

(english not my native language so forgive me when you spot some errors)

2. Emery

Emery Registered

AI will retire due to engine failure from overrevving. Usually you'll see a car sitting by the side of the track engulfed in flames.

If involved in an accident, then they often have "suspension" as DNF reason instead of "accident".

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

In rF2 you have actually the choice between "normal" and "time dependant" (or so).
    What I dont know is if the failure-settings that where possible in the physics file made the way from rF1 to rF2.
    Someone know? If yes, there are many possible failures like brakes, clutch and so on. When they dont appear, modder just didnt used it.
    (In Devmode Ive seen some particular problems that occured to the AI and are messaged in the chat-window, so I guess its there in rF2, but simply not used by modders)

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Just give up. The AI are useless and always will be.

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

^^^ Now you're just trolling as you clearly didn't even read OPs' post.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Quite the contrary. The vast majority seem to be having a great time with the ai. It's not without reason it's known as the best racing ai in the business by far.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

@PearceYaussy; please do a really good job explaining your reply?

8. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

It's pretty self explanatory. Was I not clear enough?

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Hyperbole, while sometimes useful and entertaining when you want to make a point, can also be so damn annoying and counter productive sometimes.
    Pearce, mate, please learn how to offer critique in a respectful and constructive manner. This is getting old.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You've replied pretty much how I expected, and how a little bit of me certainly wanted. Bye.

11. Comante

Comante Registered

I like to think that Tim has a special keyboard with a great red button "BAN", he just need to press it 3 seconds to trigger it.

12. Remik

Remik Registered

+1

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Imo more likely some folks have a 'ban me' button on their keyboard and keep hitting it until success.

14. pkelly

pkelly Registered

...if only...

15. SRosswick

SRosswick Registered

Currently there is a very rudimentary way of controlling this, and you would have to either create a new *.rcd (talent) file, or create virtual drivers...

The AI parameter 'CompletedLaps' controls AI DNFs if I'm not mistaken. If you set this to 33% you will see that driver DNF about 1/3 way through the race. Teams/Cars that have reliability issues I will set it somewhere around 67% or so.

It still has a randomness to it, so it's not going to be 100% every time, but it works the way it was intended. I usually set my Failures to Time Scale, and I find 2x-3x to work the best. If you're doing an endurance race, I would consider setting it to Normal so you don't have half the field DNF before mid-race.

What it doesn't take into account, and I would LOVE to see would be specific failure probabilities. For example, certain teams struggle with gearbox issues, but rarely blow a motor.

16. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

Thanks, i will try changing the completed laps setting for the AI.
    Trying to remember when i saw a AI driver blow up his engine, can't rember this though. Every car has an engine livespan (hdv), when that is exeded, the engine will fail at some time. But AI don't overhead their engine of blow them up before this livespan. So.. Just like you said: i like more randomness failures (different failures) where we can determine which car/team/ has en issue from time to time ' failure probability' Even my own car/team as it would ad to the feeling of immersion.

Thanks for the replies everybody