Crashing with Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Z06Trackman, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

I ran build 1036 and two years worth of previous builds without crashing on Windows 7, but on my recent clean install of Windows 10, build 1036 often crashes. It can happen when any "button" is pushed, but most common are when Race and Escape are clicked. This occurs during off-line practice and racing. Any thoughts?

2. Frenz

Frenz Registered

Try reinstalling rf2 and updating your video card drivers.

3. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I run 1036 on Windows 10 (Steam version) without issue. On occasion, I have had instances where the the game will minimize to the task bar and you can hear the cars still running (including mine slamming into a wall). I've found I have to be careful what apps/services/processes are running in the background. Turning off Skype while racing has cured most of the issues. It started again when I installed the Citrix receiver. It might help to clean up things running in the background that you really don't need while you're racing.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Using an insider build? It's specifically noted not to use that build if you enjoy gaming. Revert to a public build of Win10.

Other than that, need more info on the crash, does it go to desktop? Any message given by the software?

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Is W10 updating fully ?

If not download again with media tool.

You will get ISO with all updates.

7. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Are you running Windows 10 10240 or 10586?

8. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

I am not sure what "insider build" is. I bought a copy of Window 10 Home from Best Buy and installed it. It is version 1511 and OS Build 10586.71.

Detail on the crash: occasionally when a button is pressed while racing (could be any button, but the latest being "restart race" after hitting ESC during a race), the game freezes and a windows box appears in the center of the frozen screen (from behind the wheel of the car) that reads, "Windows has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". A button to close program is shown within that box. Clicking this button stops rFactor2 bringing me to the desktop and the rFactor2 launcher window.

I can't hit more than 3 - 5 "buttons" while in rFactor2 before the game crashes. If I simply race or practice without hitting ESC and or something else, the program runs fine. It only crashes when I try to do something, anything other than continue racing, and then it only does it sometimes, but eventually it will always crash when I hit a button the Nth time.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  9. Gavin Newcombe

Gavin Newcombe Registered

I too run Windows 10

Hi I have been with Rfactor 1 and 2 from the beginning and have Laned for around 15 years with these games. So I know a little about the games but last night something happened and its got me STUFFED how to fix it. It started to happen when I was to race online with Outlaws every time of going into the server the PC would shut down and reboot. Some of the other 30 racers had problems and found that updating drivers for G cards helped. So I did this in the time Qualifying was on and went to install nvidia drivers and got so far and come up with a not compatible window. This also happened with the last update drivers so older ones were still installed and RF2 worked. But last night after failed drivers update FR2 will not launch at all. This is what I have dune, used DDU to uninstall nvidia drivers / found nvidia hotfix drivers and let it do a complete uninstall and reinstalled / uninstall FR2 fully / uninstalled RF2 and put in a new location / restore windows back to earlier date. I think that a reformate is needed. :confused:

10. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

FR2 ?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Umm... rF2 methinks?

12. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

There have been some issues with build 10586 (aka Threshold 2). Microsoft originally put it out in November and then pulled it for a few days before reissuing it. Interestingly, I've been running Windows10 for months on a Dell 9020 and it still doesn't see the 10586 updates. That version bricked my Intel Compute Stick (as it has for a lot of people). I still run 10240 and have had no issues with RF2 except when there are things running in the background that (I believe) cause RF2 to minimize. Turning off things such as Skype and Dropbox when I want to race have alleviated that issue. I guess I would turn off unnecessary background processes and see if that helps. By the way, I'm not saying that 10586 is the problem here, but Threshold 2 has been an issue in some corners of the computer world so it bears keeping in mind.

13. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

I should add that the box that comes up when the game freezes is a rFactor 2 box. It is not a Windows box as I previously reported. Also, I turned off Skype and a bunch of other items in the start menu that come standard as turned on in Windows 10. rFactor2 still eventually freezes when clicking on something. The latest was when click "next session".

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Insider Build 14257 (Redstone) is a very nice build.

15. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe it worths a Try to run rFactor "as Administrator".
    I know that many Problems with every kind of Software are caused by the Windows UAC, since the default Setting of it don't gives the User "full" Rights.

And i can not tell you how to run it "as Administrator" in Windows 10, because i don't use W10. ;)
    In the past you just had to rightclick on the Programs Shortcut Icon and select "Run as Administrator" from the opening Dropdown-Menu.
    Or you could set it permanent in the Shortcuts Properties.

Or, what in my Opinion is the best Solution, to set the Windows UAC to the lowest Level as first Action, everytime you make a fresh Windows-Install.

But i'm pretty sure that someone else or "Google" will tell you, how to run rF2 as Administrator in Windows 10.

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Go to >Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer>Windows Logs>Application, and you can find out what is causing this error.
    To me it looks like you are having tdr error.(Time out and recovery process to detect and recover from GPU frozen situations) which is common Windows 10 & Nvidia driver error.

17. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I suggest you don't install RF2 on the same disk unit as operating system, I have done it in W7 and W10.
    You won't need to run RF2 as admin, and you keep your system secure without changing setups of UAC.

Cheers.

18. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Let me put it this way. If our Car Does not work properly do you replace engine (Win 10) or transmission (RF2) until you know what is it that is wrong just hoping that all is going to be fine without knowing it ? I don`t think so. Use event viewer and find out what is wrong. Google and find out how to fix it.
    Logical, right?

19. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

It says I have an application error ID 1000. I Googled this for a while and can't make heads or tails of the advice. Also, I don't think I can run fR2 in Administrative mode because I use SimCommander to run my AF wheel and SimVibe system. I start that and then it starts fFactor2. This is also how my system was configured in Windows 7.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I will work this some more, but after a while I may give up and again re-image my PC, but this time with Windows 7. I hate to buy yet another operating system.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Logical

For me that would be do a Trueimage backup of my OS - 3 minutes

Install Fresh OS and test rFactor2 - 30 Minutes +

Restore my old OS if all else fails - 3 minutes

Or pretty much how long it took for OP to get a response.

Logic dictates if it worked okay on a Old OS it will again.